Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice! but id like to see a night shot of the two
Just waiting until it gets dark out, but a daylight shot is more "fair" since a night shot with long exposure times can make otherwise dim bulbs look super bright. I also need to still look at off-axis brightness.

·
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Night shot didn't turn out too well. My camera just auto-exposed until they looked much dimmer than they really were. Basically these are light-cannons, with the parking-light brightness as bright as an average bulb fully on. I'd say on par with any OEM LED brake light setup. Off-axis light output seems good as well. Also no issues with them filling the entire housing with light.

Overall I'd recommend them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I will suggest take a shot from extra distance and even if the bulbs would seem dim a comparision between the two is possible. I am eager to see the night pic, as i might do the same as you did.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I think you're fooling yourself - these look dim as hell.

·
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a no-cheating night shot. Exposure time, white balance, and iso were set to reflect similar to how it looked to my eye (which is why its a bit blurry because it was all manually done). Ambient lighting is twilight. Both bulbs are the same new ones. For comparison, the yellow-garage light is a single 75W fluorescent bulb.

Unfortunately my phone doesn't really like the red (kinda captures it as white-ish purple) so you can't make out the individual LED's like I can with my naked eye. It's definitely not placebo when I can see red reflecting off the house a hundred feet behind me.

What you see on the driveway isn't even the direct light. Also throwing light sideways onto the garage wall.

DSC_0010.jpg

·
9th Gen Coupe
825 Posts
I agree with doom. Projector based LEDs don't do too well in reflector housings. Take shots that are at an angle so the projector isn't hitting straight into the camera sensor. It may be a better representation of the lights if you back your car against a wall several feet away to see how the light spreads.

For the longest time I was against LED turn signals and brake lights until EXLED produced one that I liked. all these lights are capable of being bright at night, but they tend to do very poorly during the day.

Almost forgot, your night shot looks very over exposed.

·
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree with doom. Projector based LEDs don't do too well in reflector housings. Take shots that are at an angle so the projector isn't hitting straight into the camera sensor. It may be a better representation of the lights if you back your car against a wall several feet away to see how the light spreads.

For the longest time I was against LED turn signals and brake lights until EXLED produced one that I liked. all these lights are capable of being bright at night, but they tend to do very poorly during the day.

Almost forgot, your night shot looks very over exposed.
If it were overexposed my garage would look way brighter than it does. It's just that bright where I was standing....as in "painful to look directly at" bright.

I'll see about capturing the beam pattern, but for the most part I'm worried about directly behind me and not 60 degrees off to the side. Wish I could find the OEM bulbs for a comparison. I know I packed them up somewhere...

·
9th Gen Coupe
825 Posts
If it were overexposed my garage would look way brighter than it does. It's just that bright where I was standing....as in "painful to look directly at" bright.

I'll see about capturing the beam pattern, but for the most part I'm worried about directly behind me and not 60 degrees off to the side. Wish I could find the OEM bulbs for a comparison. I know I packed them up somewhere...

I'm looking at the third brake light, I know for a fact that light is not that bright. That's how I'm determining your photo is overexposed.

If they are as painfully bright as you say...that may not be the smartest thing to blind the people driving behind you.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well..from the "hurts to look at bit" is why I say "on par with OEM LED brake lights". Kinda has the same sting to it if you're right behind looking at them at a stoplight.

Beam pattern Off hand I'd say probably 75+ degree beam angle, side shot, and up close with exposure set really low. Garage door is about 1.5 ft. from the lights. Only so much I can do with a camera that's built in to a phone.

·
Honda only...
304 Posts
I have similar bulbs that I purchases from a a different vendor ,at night they look great but during the day they are a bit dim .

·
9th Gen Coupe
825 Posts
Yeah, that's pretty much what I expected of them.
They may look fine at night, but like the guy above me said, they aren't great performers during the day.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yeah, that's pretty much what I expected of them.
They may look fine at night, but like the guy above me said, they aren't great performers during the day.

I tend to like to be ready at a moments notice. So if I can't get 24 hour performance they wouldn't be for me.

Although in the darker lighting they look nice. :thmsup:

·
9th Gen Coupe
825 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts