Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 232 Posts

·
Stanced 8thGen Accord
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

As the title says I just installed my UR Crank Underdrive Pulley *NOT STOCK SIZE*

I have really thank Mark from ThrowdownPerformance for making up my mind for buying this pulley!!!!Also have to Thank Sasha from South Florida Motor-sports for a Great install!!!

Before and After Dyno will be posted: 10/15/10

Item's Bought:

1.UR Racing Crank Underdrive Pulley

2.Gates-V-Belt Underdrive Pulley length

Here is my Review:

I did before and after test runs on my car, i really pushed my car 1,2,3 gears.

1 Gear: I really couldn't feel so much difference between 2-4300 RPM after 4300 I could really the car nicely open up. The power band hit and the car feel like a different machine!

2 Gear: I have to Stay this. THE CAR IS JUST A WHOLE DIFFERENT car.. The engine just feels so different. The higher RPMS like above 4 RPMS the engine really loves love the pulley it pulls so much harder..

3 Gear: This is the Gear i felt the biggest difference.. Through the WHOLE GEAR from start to finish, the car just PULLED and PULLED and PULLED!! It really made the biggest difference in this gear. You can really feel the difference in the engine.

Regular Driving: The engine feels lighter doesn't feel heavy when you adjust your speed, A/C feels perfectly fine even at MAX so no loss of A/c Power, Radio feel perfectly fine. No complaints at all...

Dyno's

BEFORE

AFTER
Base Dyno with Catback
WHP- 211
WTQ-189

Dyno with Underdrive pulley installed and CBE
WHP-220
WTQ-209

Getting Individual chart 2morow, if you need prof check out my P2R install thread

Picture's

UR pulley over the OEM pulley lol...

Here is a Motion Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn_Stm5mWY0

·
08 Accord V6 Coupe w/ NAV
3,260 Posts
Congrats!

Based on your review, there seems to be no negatives? I can't wait to see the after Dyno results.

·
youtube.com/justahondaaccord
1,639 Posts
Thanks for posting up all the pics, I'm sure replacement pulley freed up some rotational weight. All in all it probably feels like you dropped 100-150lbs from the car. When I'm out of warranty replacing all 3 pulleys with UR pulleys is definitely on my list of things to do.

I did this mod on my 99 Accord V6 2 door back in the day and it was definitely the most noticeable bolt on I did next to headers.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
looking fwd to installing mine as well..although stock dia in my case.

·
Stanced 8thGen Accord
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats!

Based on your review, there seems to be no negatives? I can't wait to see the after Dyno results.
So far no Negatives, hopefully they will never be. I will keep updating the thread as the days pass.. But im sure nothing will change.. I really am happy with the mod.

Thanks for posting up all the pics, I'm sure replacement pulley freed up some rotational weight. All in all it probably feels like you dropped 100-150lbs from the car. When I'm out of warranty replacing all 3 pulleys with UR pulleys is definitely on my list of things to do.

I did this mod on my 99 Accord V6 2 door back in the day and it was definitely the most noticeable bolt on I did next to headers.
Thanks man.. Your telling me i put one pulley on each hand, OMG the OEM pulley is so damn heavy compared to the UR pulley it's crazy of a difference.

Well so far they only make the crank pulley for our cars, I'm pretty sure i wouldn't upgrade anything more than this to the pulleys..

looking fwd to installing mine as well..although stock dia in my case.
Great man.. I really hopefully you get the same results as i did.. Make sure you push your car so when your install is finished and you take the first drive you can see if any changes are there..

I was going to go the STOCK diam, but i ended up going to the Underdrive and love it..

·
08 Accord V6 Coupe w/ NAV
3,260 Posts
IF these pulleys are all POSITIVES, I wonder why the car manufacturers don't put them in the first place. Just wondering...:dunno:

·
youtube.com/justahondaaccord
1,639 Posts
By the way that crank pulley holding tool in the pics is the key to being able to get the pulley off by hand...

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Nice....Big different in size DIA!:thmsup:

·
Retired IT Dude
1,318 Posts
There is no downside from installing these are far as I know, and I've been a proponent of UR lightweight pulleys for about 20 years now. I had an underdrive unit on my 89 Civic Si waayyyy back in the day, and it made a huge difference.

I've had my UR OE diameter (non-underdriven) pulley on the Accord for about 1000 miles now. It's a fantastic bang-for-the-buck mod, no question.

Just for the record, the OE Honda pulley is 88.46oz, and my UR pulley is 18.28oz. That's almost 4.5Lbs of weight reduction on the rotating mass (crankshaft.) Not as much of a reduction as UR states on their website (I believe they state the OE Honda pulley is ~ 7.5Lbs) but still a big difference.

Congrats bro! Welcome to the club... :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
How does this affect the harmonics on the crank and internals? won't this cause the alternator to make less power since it is being spun slower, same with all the other accessories

·
Retired IT Dude
1,318 Posts
How does this affect the harmonics on the crank and internals?
It has no effect on this, as our motors (both the J35 V6, and the I4) are internally balanced. The damping on the OE pulley is strictly for NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness) reduction to the consumer. Actually, my J35 is smoother with the UR lightweight pulley!

You can read about it here:

http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/faq.aspx#term01

·
Registered
222 Posts
Fascinating install... thanks for the info.

·
Stanced 8thGen Accord
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
IF these pulleys are all POSITIVES, I wonder why the car manufacturers don't put them in the first place. Just wondering...:dunno:
I agree with you, if it would make the motor run smoother and produce higher numbers why wouldn't they just install this piece from factory..

By the way that crank pulley holding tool in the pics is the key to being able to get the pulley off by hand...
Yeah it's needed to remove the Pulley.. I will warn you.. IT'S hard as HELL to remove the pulley, it took a impack gun, and then the Pulley removal tool with a breaker bar to remove that pulley..

about time jorge! yeah i have the stock diameter but love it too :)
I know, Like everyone else i was really questioning this and i didn't know what to do.. But now i just love it..

Nice....Big different in size DIA!:thmsup:
Huge difference in DIA, and Weight

There is no downside from installing these are far as I know, and I've been a proponent of UR lightweight pulleys for about 20 years now. I had an underdrive unit on my 89 Civic Si waayyyy back in the day, and it made a huge difference.

I've had my UR OE diameter (non-underdriven) pulley on the Accord for about 1000 miles now. It's a fantastic bang-for-the-buck mod, no question.

Just for the record, the OE Honda pulley is 88.46oz, and my UR pulley is 18.28oz. That's almost 4.5Lbs of weight reduction on the rotating mass (crankshaft.) Not as much of a reduction as UR states on their website (I believe they state the OE Honda pulley is ~ 7.5Lbs) but still a big difference.

Congrats bro! Welcome to the club... :D
Thanks man..

Yeah Mark told me to get it and i kept saying NO no no. lol!! But after talking and talking about it, I decided to jump on it..

And just love the results..

nice. how much was the install?
The shop charged me $60 bucks for install

·
Registered
31 Posts
It has no effect on this, as our motors (both the J35 V6, and the I4) are internally balanced. The damping on the OE pulley is strictly for NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness) reduction to the consumer. Actually, my J35 is smoother with the UR lightweight pulley!

You can read about it here:

http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/faq.aspx#term01
after reading this the pulley you installed does affect the alternator output and the rest of the accessorie drives. This is the reason it is not installed from factory, that and the added weight of the factory pulley aids in keeping the momentum going under load heavy loads

1 - 20 of 232 Posts