Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I just bought a 96 Accord DX from a friend for my son's first car. It has low miles (141k), and no rust. She sold it to me for cheap because many of the seals needed to be replaced. Mostly the cam, and balance shaft gear case seals.
Anyway it's all sorted mechanically now, and runs awesome. Only problem is it doesn't have A/C. Never did. I was taking to a friend of mine who's a Honda tech, and he said they use to install them at the dealership and it wasn't very hard. I'm wondering if anyone on here has done it? And if so where did you get the parts ? I've found some kits online with a compressor, and condenser. But nothing complete. Thanks for your help, Justin

·
Honda Enthusiast
1,468 Posts
You have a lot of work ahead of you. There are many components of the A/C system. Some pieces have been discontinued. You would need to find a donor car, remove all of the components and then swap them into your car. It will be time consuming.

·
Registered
18 Posts
No AC....is a nightmare. Not worth the work or the headache to install it. Sell the car and get one that has it already installed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No AC....is a nightmare. Not worth the work or the headache to install it. Sell the car and get one that has it already installed.
Normally I'd agree, but this car is a survivor, and I've already put in too much work to give up on it. Plus it's a chance to bond with my son while we work on it. I talked to my friend who's the Honda tech. He's been working on them since 1973. He said that it only took about 45 min to install the system when they were new. So I figure most of a day if I can find a parts car. Or just get stuff used on eBay. My friend said that they are all prewired for AC also.
My son wants to restore the car. So we just might do it. Parts are really cheap, so we'll see.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I used to install AC in cars in the early 80's, I did a lot of Honda's as the AC system was shipped with the car in the trunk. There was a tariff on cars with factory AC installed from Japan. A 2 man team installed the AC complete in 45 minutes. It is not hard if you have a kit designed for the car. It can be done.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,547 Posts
I talked to my friend who's the Honda tech. He's been working on them since 1973. He said that it only took about 45 min to install the system when they were new. So I figure most of a day if I can find a parts car. Or just get stuff used on eBay. My friend said that they are all prewired for AC also.
I don't think the DX model was prewired for it (but I might be wrong); that's why they were the cheapest model. Radios used to be optional in them too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I already looked and verified that the wiring is already in place. Looks like I may have found a parts car for $350.
Might also transfer the power locks and mirrors. Interior color is the same too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts