Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if I need to take it to a shop for this? Is this something an average car guy with a decent assortment of hand tools can diy? This has been asked in the past, but never seems to have been answered. I'm guessing that the hubs may need to be removed, and the existing studs pressed out, but not sure. Anybody that's done this, I'd appreciate any insight you may have.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
on my last car, a nissan sentra, i was able to replace the studs by taking a 10 pound sledgehammer and smashing the studs out and getting it from behind. not sure if this works with accords, but thats how the sentra works.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Take your wheel off and look at the hub design. I had an ek civic that I had to install new wheel studs in. DO NOT use a sledge hammer. You can seriously damage the hub. Take a small hammer (household one, or a ball-peen might work) and hit them accurately and take your time. You can back them out without having to beat the hell out of them. If the back is blocking the stud, you may need to dremel the edge of the head of the stud. That's what had to be done on my ek. I had to dremel the new ones to get them to clear the back side of the hub (several shops told me it was fine and I never had an issue. Push them in as far as you can, then stack 2-3 washers on the wheel stud, put a lug nut on and use a lug nut wrench to tighten the lug down as tight as you can...it'll pull the new stud through and seat the splines. This is how it was done on an EK civic. I can't imagine it'd be much different on an accord. The other option is to take the wheel hub off and take it to a shop to have them machine press the studs out, but that's not too cheap.

·
08 White Honda Accord
293 Posts
I did the rear studs myself on my car, its not hard just time consuming.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paperboy, will hold off on the bigger hammer approach for now, :D but will keep in mind as last resort.
Welcome to DA, silviacrazed! :wave: And thanks for the detailed reply.
Sounds like it can be done by mere mortals after all. I was hoping that was the case, since shops are real scarce around here, and the local Honda dealer starts crossing themselves and muttering disclaimers at the sound of anything not stock.
Anybody else that's done this, still feel free to chime in. I'm looking for all the info I can get before I start pulling things apart. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts