Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got into my car that has been sitting over night (25F) and a good layer of frost has formed on top of my windshield. I get in and start my engine.... think to myself maybe I should turn on the front defrosters. So I press the butt on and I already had heat to remove the frost!! The engine had only been running for 30-45 seconds.

Does the 2013 V6 have electric heat for deforesting or is there something else at play?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Was it frost or just condensation? When you push the defroster button, it turns on the air conditioning, which removes moisture from the air being blown into the cabin. When I took the Honda survey they asked about the performance of the heating system. Like how quickly it got warm. Maybe they made some tweaks? Or there could be a secondary thermostat that strictly circulates coolant through the engine block and heater core. Dunno :/

Also, if Honda is developing heaters for deforesting, that is just plain evil.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good call on the typo ;)

I def had frost on my front window, it took a lot longer for my rear window to defrost.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I've noticed that setting the temperature to "Hi" seems to produce heat quickly, even before the engine temp gauge begins to move. I'm not sure what's at play here, but I definitely think setting the temp to "Hi" has an effect on how quickly the air is warmed up. The OM doesn't mention anything specific about rapidly generating warm air, so who knows?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay good, so I'm not going nuts.

By far the BEST feature for winter.

Maybe someone that knows a little more might chime in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
No clue. I have noticed the same thing here. But the heat gets better as the engine temperature continues to get higher. So definitley it draws heat from the engine.

This is my opinion:

It may have something to do with the coolant flow. Normally cars heater takes a while because you need to wait for the thermostat to open and let the coolant flow. Maybe these cars thermostat allows some flow, even though the engine is cold.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The main waterpump line is metal and runs behind the exhaust manifold. These cars are designed to warm up very quickly for emission reasons.

·
Registered
56 Posts
So I got into my car that has been sitting over night (25F) and a good layer of frost has formed on top of my windshield. I get in and start my engine.... think to myself maybe I should turn on the front defrosters. So I press the butt on and I already had heat to remove the frost!! The engine had only been running for 30-45 seconds.

Does the 2013 V6 have electric heat for deforesting or is there something else at play?

I have actually felt like this car takes longer to warm up than others I have owned. I have however had the same thing happen to me one morning at about the same temp you are talking about. I just chalked it up to the coolant likely being far enough above 32 that there was residual warmth to melt the frost.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
No clue. I have noticed the same thing here. But the heat gets better as the engine temperature continues to get higher. So definitley it draws heat from the engine.

This is my opinion:

It may have something to do with the coolant flow. Normally cars heater takes a while because you need to wait for the thermostat to open and let the coolant flow. Maybe these cars thermostat allows some flow, even though the engine is cold.
On most cars the coolant flows thru the heater core even if the thermostat is closed.

Jay

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The car has only been running for 15 seconds, that's amazing if the car is able to warm that quick.

Honda for the win!

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I'm looking forward to exploring this more. My wife never fails to ask for heat as soon as I start the engine. I don't know why she can't get it through her head it's not instant, but maybe she'll be a little more happy if this turns out to be even partially true.

·
Registered
121 Posts
What? Cars don't have heat instantly? GET OUT. lol

I had a V8 Grand Cherokee before my Accord. I'm impressed with how fast the Honda warms up. The Jeep used to take quite some time. I'll have to experiment with the defrost in coming weeks.

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
It's only gotten to the 40s here in MD, but I have noticed leaving my climate control on AUTO it starts to blow heat pretty quickly. Also, the heated seats help. In that case, I will save the money I was going to spend on remote start...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had my new EX-L Sedan for 2 weeks, and I have to say that the heater doesn't appear to get hot at all.
I have 4 other Hondas, a 2012 Civic, a 2011 CR-V which has dual climate, a 2007 Civic and a 2006 Pilot.
All the other cars get hot, I mean hot.
In the new Accord at 74 degrees it seems like the a/c is running its so cool.
I took it to the dealer and they fired up 14 EX-L and it seemed the same.
Does anyone else have experience that differs from this?

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
I've had my new EX-L Sedan for 2 weeks, and I have to say that the heater doesn't appear to get hot at all.
I have 4 other Hondas, a 2012 Civic, a 2011 CR-V which has dual climate, a 2007 Civic and a 2006 Pilot.
I must say that I have to turn the temp to "HI" to get the car really warm in side. Im a little disapointed in that.

Jay

·
Registered
76 Posts
I must say that I have to turn the temp to "HI" to get the car really warm in side. Im a little disapointed in that.

Jay
Same here. Even on 80 my heat feels like ac almost. But if I blast it on hi for just a second the temps seem to fall in line after that. It's weird. Now I just blast high for quick second before setting the heat temp. Became a habit pretty fast.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mine is the same....very slow to heat. Nowhere near as quick as the 07 Altima.

·
Registered
924 Posts

Jay
hmm i seem to have the opposite reaction. mine gets ridiculously hot when turned to hi. i keep mine at 72 and after the engine is warm its just right inside.

·
Registered
56 Posts
hmm i seem to have the opposite reaction. mine gets ridiculously hot when turned to hi. i keep mine at 72 and after the engine is warm its just right inside.
I agree. Although I think it takes plenty long to warm up, when it gets to temp it is plenty warm even here in northern mn. Plenty of -20 mornings last winter.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts