Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Low Gear
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not a question on how much you pay.

I would like to know if the Sport model cost more to insure. I know Sport is really the low line model in terms of cost, and all the "sport" is appearance.

Do insurance companies see it that way? Thinking about a Sport model.

I'm asking because for me, my 2002 Nissan SE-R Spec V cost more to insure than 2014 Odyssey Touring Elite.

If I lost my car, they will give me $2K for the Nissan. If I lost my Ody, they will give me $46K. So the cost of insurance is way different.

If the Sentra was a non SE-R, it would cost peanuts to insure, because the car isn't worth much.

Does the Sport badge cost more to insure?

·
Registered
2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 with Nav
870 Posts
The insurance wont see ur car as a sport. I have a v6 exl with nav but when they run it they just see exl honda accord

·
Low Gear
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought they run it base on VIN. So there is no "hiding" options - from the factory.

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts
Take it this way our 16 year old Mazda Protege cost more to insure than our 2011 Toyota Venza V6 Premium that replaced it.... I asked why since the car was worth 10x more to replace... they told me they pay out more on injury/collision claims than replacement.

So it does play a factor but an older less safe car is going to cost more to insure than a brand new vehicle.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Just call your insurance they'll tell you what it would cost.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
My insurance company knows my V6 Accord as an Accord. I asked about this. I suppose they could know the details of your car by looking at the VIN but considering that they sell 400,000 Accords annually it must all average out to one rate. You would think that Sports would have a higher premium due to the wheel theft issue. I bet it would cost more to insure a TLX.

The cost of the car and its part are not the big factor in a premium. It is the frequency of medical costs associated with a model.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Can't imagine it would cost more. I moved from a '12 Ford Focus SE to my '14 Accord Sport and my premium went down $20.

·
Registered
267 Posts
When I was shopping for my car, I was looking at the EX and the Sport. I asked my insurance company for quotes on both and the EX was $100 more semi annually. I chose the Sport.

·
Registered
267 Posts
^Sorry. FWIW, I thought the same thing since I live in NYC and Sport wheel thefts occur a lot here. Looking back on it, I kinda wish I did just pay the extra 100 bux. I hate worrying about my wheels.

·
Low Gear
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just call your insurance they'll tell you what it would cost.
That's the right answer. But I could possibly considering 30 other cars (not kidding) and it all depends on what direction I want to go. So I'm sure they would get tired of my inquires.

I (pretty much) already crossed out WRX because I know the insurance will be WTF high. So no point in looking at it, test driving it, and falling in love with it. Cause I know I will....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well for what it's worth, my Touring dropped my 6 month premium $84 bucks (Also have a 2011 Honda Pilot Touring) and if I had gotten the TLX would have gone down $4 from current premium. When I asked why, was told the "Safety" features of the Accord plus replacement parts not having the Acura premium to them.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
No, presumably because the Sport is mostly an appearance package. The performance tweaks it does have aren't enough to make it riskier than any other Accord, so they don't make a difference to an insurance company. When I switched from the LX to the Sport, I just gave them the new VIN and that was that (well, aside from the agent's idle curiosity about why I would switch from one '14 Accord to another). I didn't see any adjustment to my premium.

I do wonder why JekyllandHyde was quoted more for an EX. I could see a few dollars' difference since the EX costs a little more, but not $100. If anything, I would have thought it'd be lower due to the safety gizmos.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,708 Posts
State Farm only knows of my car as:

"2012 HONDA ACCORD 4DR"

Also bonus fun fact: your car can be registered to an LLC and it doesn't matter to State Farm. If it's used for personal use then your insurance is still tied to the driver and not the car.

And I read the subject line of this thread thinking "yeah they better not charge more...it's not any sportier than an LX".

·
Dsclmr:DIY @ YourOwnRisks
1,237 Posts
I would recommend a complete 20 lock nuts of gorilla.

^Sorry. FWIW, I thought the same thing since I live in NYC and Sport wheel thefts occur a lot here. Looking back on it, I kinda wish I did just pay the extra 100 bux. I hate worrying about my wheels.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Your rate isn't going to be much, regardless, it's just an Accord. Insuring a car with a high accident/theft rate like an STi or Evo is an entirely different scenario.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I asked my agent why the cost was more on the EX and she said that the higher trim level cost more to repair? I dunno, beats me how the actuaries come up with the rate tables. Either way, I'm getting it up the wazoo without any lube living in the city. I can't wait to get out of here.

And yes if you get the Sport, invest in Gorilla System locks. I have those and the Gorilla Guard with spinning sleeve. Made it work on Honda wheels with adapters.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts