Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the title says... I got a V6 and looking to have the Intake Manifold ported (to match my P2R runners). The first question the guy on the phone says is "Well, is it 100% plastic, or is it metal?"

Now looking at it, I would say the part I'd be sure of would be the runner portion, and I think its metal... If so, that'd be great! I'd buy a replacement one right away. If its plastic on the top connecting to metal on the bottom, I'd be worried about having it ported..

So I ask this to anyone that has actually had it off... Is it plastic, is it metal, or is it both?? If so, which is which???

PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Just as the title says... I got a V6 and looking to have the Intake Manifold ported (to match my P2R runners). The first question the guy on the phone says is "Well, is it 100% plastic, or is it metal?"

Now looking at it, I would say the part I'd be sure of would be the runner portion, and I think its metal... If so, that'd be great! I'd buy a replacement one right away. If its plastic on the top connecting to metal on the bottom, I'd be worried about having it ported..

So I ask this to anyone that has actually had it off... Is it plastic, is it metal, or is it both?? If so, which is which???

PLEASE HELP!!!
The 3.5L V-6 6MT features a dual-stage intake manifold made from lightweight magnesium alloy

The 3.5L V-6 5AT has magnesium intake manifold and valve cover

there no plastic on V6 model .

PS: never had one off or owned V6 but from looks its either aluminum or magnesium as stated above from honda doc .

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 3.5L V-6 6MT features a dual-stage intake manifold made from lightweight magnesium alloy

The 3.5L V-6 5AT has magnesium intake manifold and valve cover

there no plastic on V6 model .

PS: never had one off or owned V6 but from looks its either aluminum or magnesium as stated above from honda doc .
Well from the looks of it I can't find a shop to even touch it.. With magnesium being a fire hazard they won't even consider it..so in the end I think we're stuck with stock for now..

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well.. Looks like I spoke way too soon. I just received an email and made a call to Modern Automotive Performance. Spoke to Bob and he says there would be no issue with porting them.:banana:

So it looks like $275.00 will get you intake manifold ported to not only to match your runners, it will also get the TB portion of the manifold ported to match!!:thmsup: I told him to expect a package soon!! I'll take pics when I get it back (he estimates a 2-3 week turn-around).

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now since this is my first time in the ring doing some serious modding, I has read a few posts concerning Dynoing.. Right now the car has 3,4xx miles on it.. On an engine this young, is it wise to start replacing parts now.. Or is it better to break in the engine and get a few more miles on it??

I want to get this done ASAP, but with the time to turn around the Manifold, it may have to wait til Spring to get installed.. I won't be able to make it down to my parents until sometime in Feb. Hopefully my brother-in-law will be able to get a space in the shop to do some install work.

·
port & polish everything
1,699 Posts
as long as you install everything correctly it should not affect break in. Break in will happen regardless.

When you install just make sure you don't introduce any debris into the engine. When you get your manifold back check the world and make sure the inside is clean and they don't leave any particulate.

However if you dyno now, add parts and then dyno again later, some of the power increase may simply be from break in and not additional mods.

·
Car Customizer/Consultant
780 Posts
Do not dyno a car with anything less than 10k on it, unless you wana break some shit down the line.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do not dyno a car with anything less than 10k on it, unless you wana break some shit down the line.
LOL!!:D Thought so... I was probably gonna wait til Spring to put these parts on the car anyways.. Hopefully I'll have enough miles by then.. The winters here are just too damn cold for this sh!t!! Even if you have a heated garage it still takes forever for your car to come to room temperature to work on.. I can't even count how many times I have busted a knuckle cause of the cold...

·
Premium Member
6,778 Posts
We are working on two options, porting the stock OEM manifolds (coming very very soon and if anyone is interested let us know) and deeply looking into if it would make sense to get a custom IM made.

·
780 Posts
We are working on two options, porting the stock OEM manifolds (coming very very soon and if anyone is interested let us know) and deeply looking into if it would make sense to get a custom IM made.
Would the custom IM be cheaper than the Acura 3.7 TL one? If so thats wassup!

·
Premium Member
6,778 Posts
Not sure, I believe off the top of my head the 3.7L IM is only about 200 new (the TB is the one that's over 400 :( )

Not sure on flow differences for 3.7L vs OEM Ported vs custom. Only issue with the custom route is honestly if the community actually has enough demand to support such custom mods.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
the lower runners and injectors are same from 3.5 to 3.7 so I doubt the IM is much different other than at the TB inlet .

Price wise Acura/Honda prices are crazy

Honda V6 6MT, IM =171$
Acura TSX V6 , IM = 520$
Acura TL IM = 206$

·
780 Posts
WTF is so special about the TSX one that makes its 250% more than the others? Thats just crazy LOL

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
WTF is so special about the TSX one that makes its 250% more than the others? Thats just crazy LOL
nothing other than it is listed as japan part and if you look at USA vs Japan where same part# listed in both the japan is a lot higher for some reason.
In this case the TSX is all Japan and Honda an TL is USA with lower price point .

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Would the custom IM be cheaper than the Acura 3.7 TL one? If so thats wassup!
So are you saying that the intake manifold from the 3.7 TL fit our Accords with no issue and allow us to use the throttle body natively? Without the need for an adapter?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
So are you saying that the intake manifold from the 3.7 TL fit our Accords with no issue and allow us to use the throttle body natively? Without the need for an adapter?
Since the lower runners and gasket are the same it should work for V6 6MT honda .

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Since the lower runners and gasket are the same it should work for V6 6MT honda .
I see that this is a bolt on mod for those who own a CL.. I am beginning to think I should have picked up instead of the 3.5L Accord version. As it stands right now I will need the TB adapter to bolt on the 3.7L TB, and if I went with the 3.7L Manifold, there would be no need for the adapter as it would be native.

I see for the most part everything is the same except a few parts... I wonder if these parts are actually needed, or would we just skip them?? Do we know if anyone has actually done this?? I could always sell my Manifold and TB adapter to help front the costs... hmmmm

·
Stanced 8thGen Accord
4,753 Posts
The conversion of the 3.7L AWD-TL is possible for V6 Accord..

This is my Next mod after i get my Wheels in two weeks so Mid Jan i should have the TL Throttle Body in my hands in installed.

I am going to have to order a New P2R Throttle Body Spacer, since the Accord Spacers wont work with this one.. I also have to see if my New AEM CAI is going to work with the TL throttle body, i haven't looking into difference in Lateral Length difference.

Remember the AWD-TL Throttle body is retailed at closed to $430 not shipped. Just to keep in mind.. So yeah .. That's the price of a J-pipe system which will produce more power than the TL throttle body.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The conversion of the 3.7L AWD-TL is possible for V6 Accord..

This is my Next mod after i get my Wheels in two weeks so Mid Jan i should have the TL Throttle Body in my hands in installed.

I am going to have to order a New P2R Throttle Body Spacer, since the Accord Spacers wont work with this one.. I also have to see if my New AEM CAI is going to work with the TL throttle body, i haven't looking into difference in Lateral Length difference.

Remember the AWD-TL Throttle body is retailed at closed to $430 not shipped. Just to keep in mind.. So yeah .. That's the price of a J-pipe system which will produce more power than the TL throttle body.
LOL!!! No need to worry bro... :thumbsup:

Already got that covered!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts