Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Banned
14,456 Posts
Brian: Not to be a jerk here but you can swing by O'Reilly's Auto Parts or Advance Auto parts and they will check the starter for free. THEN if you need to replace it watch this video (the video is a little weird in the beginning when he is shooting some guns, but then he starts talking about the car:

· Registered
191 Posts
Just did this last week. 150,000 miles. Manifold is easy to remove 5 bolts/nuts a series of wiring harness clips, one vacuum hose, airbox & airflow sensor out. Bottom bolt was very difficult, had to use a 1/2" air impact wrench with a swivel to break it loose. Would have been impossible with manifold in place.

Gasket is metal, I reused it successfully, with a light coat of sealer (Hylomar). Note that you remove the outer portion only. The piece where the injectors mount stays in place.

· Registered
104 Posts
i recently took out the intake manifold to replace my starter .it was pretty easy but it took me about 45 min to it . next time it will take less than 30 min .
you do not have to drain the radiator or remove any fans.

0. remove front engine cover
1. disconnect/remove the big hose that goes from the throttle body to the airbox
2. unbolt / move to the side the throttle body
3. remove the five bolts that connect the intake manifold to the engine / remove intake manifold
4. remove starter [ those two bolts are gonna be a pain to remove , get a breaker bar or a pipe and some grease to put on the threads when you get them out]

tools .. 10mm,12mm,14mm deep sockets , vise grip or nose pliers , 14mm,17mm socket plus whatever is needed for the big hose removal/very small socket

· Registered
238 Posts
i had to replace my starter too, didnt do it myself, but my mechanic said he had to remove the manifold

· Registered
46 Posts
My brother is doing his today on his sedan. He has about 130k on his car. He bought a starter and a tsx manifold. It makes more sense to swap the intake manifold while replacing the starter.

My brother isn't very mechanically inclined at all, but between watching the videos on youtube and my over the phone advice he is killing it without any fancy tools or much experience. Anybody can work on car, just takes time and patience.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
intake removal

thanks for the posts guys, job does not look to bad.

Still seems like 55k miles is a bit soon to replace the starter.

When you take the intake off, you do NOT need to unbolt the throttle body form the intake manifold, is this correct?

You just remove them both as 1 unit?

Thanks

· Registered
1 Posts
Replaced the Starter on a 2006 Honda Accord 3.0L 6 Cylinder. You shouldn't have to remove the manifold. Pretty straight forward. Removed the battery, and all of the plastic that surrounded it. I zip tied the battery leads out of the way. Then went to work on the starter. You need to move the radiator hoses (2) out of the way (I zip tied them over to the side) to get enough room to get a socket (17mm I believe) to the 2 bolts on the starter. The top bolt on the starter allows enough room to get some good leverage and break it free. The bolt that is underneath is quite a bit more difficult and will require some patience and work to break it free. Once you get the two bolts out, you can disconnect the starter from the wiring which is one that is bolted on with a 12mm, I think, and another wire that is a quick connect. Next, awkwardly pull it out through the space available. Swap it with the new one and put it all back together. While you have the battery out, clean any corrosion off the terminals and leads.

Nice things to have on hand: Zip Ties, a full set of metric sockets (10mm, 12mm, and 17mm), breaker bar for the starter bolts, and maybe a magnet on a stick if you drop the bolts below like I did.

Cost for starter: Around $130.00 from Advance Auto. That's with the core swap.

It was about 1.5 - 2 hours just because I didn't have a breaker bar with me.

· Registered
1 Posts
Replaced the Starter on a 2006 Honda Accord 3.0L 6 Cylinder. You shouldn't have to remove the manifold. Pretty straight forward. Removed the battery, and all of the plastic that surrounded it. I zip tied the battery leads out of the way. Then went to work on the starter. You need to move the radiator hoses (2) out of the way (I zip tied them over to the side) to get enough room to get a socket (17mm I believe) to the 2 bolts on the starter. The top bolt on the starter allows enough room to get some good leverage and break it free. The bolt that is underneath is quite a bit more difficult and will require some patience and work to break it free. Once you get the two bolts out, you can disconnect the starter from the wiring which is one that is bolted on with a 12mm, I think, and another wire that is a quick connect. Next, awkwardly pull it out through the space available. Swap it with the new one and put it all back together. While you have the battery out, clean any corrosion off the terminals and leads.

Nice things to have on hand: Zip Ties, a full set of metric sockets (10mm, 12mm, and 17mm), breaker bar for the starter bolts, and maybe a magnet on a stick if you drop the bolts below like I did.

Cost for starter: Around $130.00 from Advance Auto. That's with the core swap.

It was about 1.5 - 2 hours just because I didn't have a breaker bar with me.
The 2007 has a different location for the starter compared to the 2005 and 2006. It is also different between the v4 and v6. The 2007 v4 has it completely under the manifold, you can't even see it normally.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.