Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Austin, TX
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In one of my threads, I mentioned a rattle in the driver's side front window. It was sort of a constant "pin rattle" sound, if you know what I mean. Not a creaking sound. Two technicians were not able to hear it (which was unbelievable), but my service representative took an interest in this and drove it herself today. She did hear it. It turned out to be contact between the window's seal and the window tint, which, as she noted, has a "tacky" texture. She said the shop made some adjustments in the seal, and the noise
went away. She was busy so I didn't get to find out exactly what the adjustment was. But it is really nice to drive this car without the constant noise.

Anyone else have this happen?

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
I have a small rattle in my dash somewhere on bumpy roads. I hope to get it rectified at my first oil change. My sunroof shade also rattles, so I'll bring that up too.

·
Austin, TX
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My new Accord doesn't sound "tight" going over bumps. My 2000 EX-L and 2009 Civic LX had a much tighter feel on rough roads. When I've driven 8th generation loaner Accords from the dealership, I noticed the same thing (not tight, lots of rattles).

·
Registered
457 Posts
I read something about a rattling front airbag by driver side? This may be the issue?

I have the same problem, when im stoppped idling i hear a rattle... its weird.

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
I read something about a rattling front airbag by driver side? This may be the issue?

I have the same problem, when im stoppped idling i hear a rattle... its weird.
Me too! At idle I can hear it. So it's the front, drivers side airbag? As in the steering wheel bag or something else?

I took mine in today as I had a terrible, constant rattle on the passenger side kick/glove box area. The techs said they heard it coming from the seat belt mechanism by your ear and are going to replace it & make it to where it doesn't rattle. Haven't driven it but a half mile home so can't say if it's that or not... But it sounds like the kick panel or behind the glove box to me. I get a small rattle on really rough roads on the drivers door, up high where the door panel meets the Window seal. Pretty common area for rattles, but they drive me NUTS and I just want them gone lol. I'll do it myself if they can't fix it

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
Try white lithium grease around the door panel, that may help the rattles there.

I think my dash rattle is near the windshield and its only when I hit bumps of course. Which is all the time, I live in the city! Of course the dealer is in the suburbs, I'm sure they won't hear it lol

·
Registered
457 Posts
Me too! At idle I can hear it. So it's the front, drivers side airbag? As in the steering wheel bag or something else?

I took mine in today as I had a terrible, constant rattle on the passenger side kick/glove box area. The techs said they heard it coming from the seat belt mechanism by your ear and are going to replace it & make it to where it doesn't rattle. Haven't driven it but a half mile home so can't say if it's that or not... But it sounds like the kick panel or behind the glove box to me. I get a small rattle on really rough roads on the drivers door, up high where the door panel meets the Window seal. Pretty common area for rattles, but they drive me NUTS and I just want them gone lol. I'll do it myself if they can't fix it
i cant quite remember , but its in the tsb thread somewhere.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had a faint rattle in mine once. In the driver seat is sounded like it was coming from the passenger side. In the passenger seat, it sounded like it was coming from the driver side. Turns out it was my sunglasses in the holder bouncing around.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a rattle that sounds like it's right inside of the dash near the glove box. They have tried to fix a few times, no luck. Call to corporate; no luck.

My car being worked on today and they are going to remove the dash I believe. We will see how this goes.

I will probably have 9 new rattles after breaking the seal of the dash.

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
I have a rattle that sounds like it's right inside of the dash near the glove box. They have tried to fix a few times, no luck. Call to corporate; no luck.

My car being worked on today and they are going to remove the dash I believe. We will see how this goes.

haha that's what I'm afraid of! They said mine was the seat belt mechanism, but there is definitely a very prominent rattle coming from behind the glove box or in the vicinity of the passenger kick panel. When I took the guy for a ride yesterday I couldn't hear it and neither could he...only the seat belt part up by your ear. I might just have to pull a few things and figure it out myself.

I know that in my '04 TL I had rattles galore. Granted it had 160,xxx miles, but it was a rattle bucket. One thing I found that rattled was the piece underneath the glove box. If you pull it, the fan noise will get louder so find a way to leave it there, but it was a source of rattling/movement in my '04. I saw that this car is laid out the same pretty much so I plan on just tackling that myself.

The other little faint ticking/knock on my dash, above/around the gauge cluster is still there though and I can hear it. I'm going to have to make them hear it, but I'm hoping its not something IN the dash.

·
Registered
44 Posts
haha that's what I'm afraid of! They said mine was the seat belt mechanism, but there is definitely a very prominent rattle coming from behind the glove box or in the vicinity of the passenger kick panel. When I took the guy for a ride yesterday I couldn't hear it and neither could he...only the seat belt part up by your ear. I might just have to pull a few things and figure it out myself.

I know that in my '04 TL I had rattles galore. Granted it had 160,xxx miles, but it was a rattle bucket. One thing I found that rattled was the piece underneath the glove box. If you pull it, the fan noise will get louder so find a way to leave it there, but it was a source of rattling/movement in my '04. I saw that this car is laid out the same pretty much so I plan on just tackling that myself.

The other little faint ticking/knock on my dash, above/around the gauge cluster is still there though and I can hear it. I'm going to have to make them hear it, but I'm hoping its not something IN the dash.
Yea this rattle has been the same for months, everyone can hear it. I will let everyone know what happens.

·
Blinded by the light
1,551 Posts
I had a faint rattle in mine once. In the driver seat is sounded like it was coming from the passenger side. In the passenger seat, it sounded like it was coming from the driver side. Turns out it was my sunglasses in the holder bouncing around.
Sometimes you have to put your sunglasses in the holder just right, and it will stop vibrating. Sometimes it takes a couple tries for me.

·
Registered
258 Posts

I just scheduled a appointment recently for a customer with the same issue. I actually have the rattle in ours as well, from drivers and passenger side. I drove a 2014 Touring we just got in that has the same rattle. I'm interested to know what they find.

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
Sometimes you have to put your sunglasses in the holder just right, and it will stop vibrating. Sometimes it takes a couple tries for me.
Mine rattle constantly, and when I put my regular glasses in there while I'm using my sunglasses (prescription), they rattle even worse!

·
Registered
235 Posts
My sunglasses case rattled without anything in it, dealer replaced for me.

I wear Oakley straight jackets, no noise at all while they're in there. And my tint is dark enough I find myself not using them half the time. :)

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
Likewise, I just discovered where my rattle was coming from - my sunglasses holder. It sure sounded like it was coming from the passenger side tweeter area. Worth looking into.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I've noticed that some of the fake aluminum plastic bits sometimes make little "ticking" noises going over bumps if the temperature in the cabin is cooling off in the summer with the A/C.

And I've inadvertently bumped the HomeLink surround while reaching for one of the buttons, and it creaks, so that could be a future problem. (The likely solution is for me or the dealer to pull that apart per the instructions from College Hills Honda on installing their HomeLink mod, put a thin layer of Honda "squeak tape" on the edge of that entire panel, and pop it back in! That's probably also a solution for the plastic surrounds--put a "cone" of tape into the trim piece, and snap it back down. Those pieces (around the console, HVAC control unit and radio control area) look like they can be removed with a trim tool, and are the actually "in one piece.")

Other than that, 5K miles and six months, and the interior's still as tight as the day I brought the car home! :thmsup: (I wonder if the ambient temperature in the interior-assembly area makes a difference, and if the temperatures are that much different in the summer versus winter (e.g., February, when my car was built). I would theorize that the plastic pieces may be able to be "tightened down" more in a cooler environment versus a warmer environment where the parts may expand just a touch before final assembly. Can anyone shed some light "behind the scenes" at Marysville? :dunno: )

1 - 20 of 31 Posts