Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased the 2014 Accord Coupe EX-LN V6. Color is white on the outside and BI on the inside.

I wakeboard frequently and am used to spending several hours caring and protecting my watercraft. That beind said, I am not as good with vehicles.

My first question is whether or not I can use my marine vinyl 3M cleaner/protectant/conditioner on the seats of my car. The product itself is non-toxic, and based on my experience it is not a micro-abrrasive. It has worked great for years on the boat keeping them healthy, strong, and clean. I would probably use this on the back seats in the car twice a year and on the front seats quarterly.

A link: http://www.shop3m.com/boat-cleaner-3m-marine-vinyl-cleaner-250ml-bottle-09023.html

As for cleaning the exterior of the car - I plan to clean it once a month and want to make sure I use non-abrasive chemicals. I want to avoid damaging the paint. When it comes to watercraft I can make pink turn red but a gel coat is different from paint.

I found this thread here (http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=170825) and really like how clean his car was. However a lot of the replies offered alternatives. Time is not a factor as I will spend a weekend day taking care of the car, that being said what are the best products that require the least chemicals (S/He used 9 things on his car)

Thanks Everyone!
Eric

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
If you want simple, then clay, polish (M205, Blackfire Total Polish & Seal), and put something like Blackfire Crystal Seal on top.

If you have more time, I would go with the Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection after the polish. Wait 12 hours, then apply 2 coats of Crystal Seal. Reapply the Crystal Seal after 3 months and this will easily get you 6 months of protection. You can reload a little bit after each carwash as well with Blackfire Polymer Spray, which you can use as a final wipedown to remove any streaks or waterspots missed from drying and also adds back a little of the Blackfire polymers.

The next would be to look into a coating which could get you protection for a year or 2.

Best thing I could recommend would be to look through all the tutorials at Autogeekonline.net or autopiaforums.com. Glen E has a good pdf on his signature as well and is easy to follow.

·
Retired from Car Biz....
7,294 Posts
If you want simple, then clay, polish (M205, Blackfire Total Polish & Seal), and put something like Blackfire Crystal Seal on top.

If you have more time, I would go with the Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection after the polish. Wait 12 hours, then apply 2 coats of Crystal Seal. Reapply the Crystal Seal after 3 months and this will easily get you 6 months of protection. You can reload a little bit after each carwash as well with Blackfire Polymer Spray, which you can use as a final wipedown to remove any streaks or waterspots missed from drying and also adds back a little of the Blackfire polymers.

The next would be to look into a coating which could get you protection for a year or 2.

Best thing I could recommend would be to look through all the tutorials at Autogeekonline.net or autopiaforums.com. Glen E has a good pdf on his signature as well and is easy to follow.
Great advice....KISS and EZ

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any particular clay and apologize for asking, but how do I use it?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Any particular clay and apologize for asking, but how do I use it?
Good link above how to use it. For a new car you don't anything aggressive. I like Pinnacle Ultra Poly clay. I've actually never needed anything more aggressive on older cars than that either. For lube, you don't have to buy a special product. You can do it with the wash water as you wash, or if you want to wash first then clay, you can just mix up some Dawn and water in spray bottle. Probably only need 1-2 ounces of Dawn to 31 oz of water for a 32 oz. sprayer.

Personally, I like to wash the entire car with my decontamination soap (Chemical Guys Citrus Red) then after the final rinse, I will clay with some Blackfire Rinseless Wash diluted for clay lube (I use this for rinseless washes anyway, so I already have it on hand...otherwise I would use the Dawn solution). After I clay the entire car, I wash it one more time to get rid of the residue. I usually do this process the night before I start polishing so the cracks and crevices have a chance to dry out before I get going. A little pressurized air in the cracks helps that along as well.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. For starters I just used meguires gold wash. Since the car is so new I didn't want to do the full wash. I like simple but am going to aggregate the items from glens signature and use his method. It looks more than simple/fair enough and the cost isn't bad.

Does anyone know if my marine vinyl cleaner will suffice for the interior?

So far I absolutely love the car!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts