Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks.

I'm learning about upgrading some of the lighting in my Accord. I just replaced the headlights with upgraded halogens. Re. LED technology, from what I understand, in some, but not all, applications, the car will see the reduced power draw of the bulb as a problem which may result in something like hyper-blink with the turn signals. However, if you swap out a small interior bulb with an LED, that generally works just fine. Is there a finite point where the car will have problems with an LED swap? Let me know if that doesn't make sense. Any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You should be able to swap any interior light with an LED bulb that fits without problem. When you do, be careful of the "color temperature" of the LED you choose. This value relates to the color the LED emits, not the brightness (brightness is measured in lumens). A color temp of 3000K to 5000K is generally what you want, with 3000K being a bright "soft white" and 5000 being close to daylight.

You could also replace things like your license plate lights with LEDs without difficulty too, if you can find some that fit and provide 360 degree illumination. Turn signals ARE a problem, because the flasher or the computer in your car "looks" at the Wattage (the power the bulb is using) to see if it has burned out. If it "sees" a low value there, the hyperflash is done to alert you of that fact. LEDs draw very low power, so they can be "seen" as burned out bulbs.

There are two possible solutions, depending on your car's electrical system:
  1. If your car uses a "flasher" module, you can replace it with one designed foe LEDs. These low Wattage flashers can be bought at an Automotive store such as Pep Boys, Checker, etc..
  2. But if your car controls the flash rate through its computer, the only solution is to add in a resistor (in parallel) to the high filament circuit of each of the bulbs that you have replaced. You can easily find 50 Watt resistors online for this purpose, but I've found that 25 Watt resistors work just as well.
Again, you want to pay attention to brightness (the brighter the better for turn signals) and the color they emit should be "Amber", even if they are mounted behind an amber lens.

- Jack

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should be able to swap any interior light with an LED bulb that fits without problem. When you do, be careful of the "color temperature" of the LED you choose. This value relates to the color the LED emits, not the brightness (brightness is measured in lumens). A color temp of 3000K to 5000K is generally what you want, with 3000K being a bright "soft white" and 5000 being close to daylight.

You could also replace things like your license plate lights with LEDs without difficulty too, if you can find some that fit and provide 360 degree illumination. Turn signals ARE a problem, because the flasher or the computer in your car "looks" at the Wattage (the power the bulb is using) to see if it has burned out. If it "sees" a low value there, the hyperflash is done to alert you of that fact. LEDs draw very low power, so they can be "seen" as burned out bulbs.

There are two possible solutions, depending on your car's electrical system:
  1. If your car uses a "flasher" module, you can replace it with one designed foe LEDs. These low Wattage flashers can be bought at an Automotive store such as Pep Boys, Checker, etc..
  2. But if your car controls the flash rate through its computer, the only solution is to add in a resistor (in parallel) to the high filament circuit of each of the bulbs that you have replaced. You can easily find 50 Watt resistors online for this purpose, but I've found that 25 Watt resistors work just as well.
Again, you want to pay attention to brightness (the brighter the better for turn signals) and the color they emit should be "Amber", even if they are mounted behind an amber lens.

- Jack
Thanks for the help. I've done a lot of searching for tail light upgrades and about the only thing people agree on is that LEDs give you instant on. Lots of differing views on how well you can upgrade them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts