Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was going to install interior ambient lighting, what would be the best option to go with? The honda lighting kit? I believe the kit only comes with lighting for under the glove box and driver side.. so it's kind of expensive for just two since I wanted to light the back as well.

Any suggestions, thanks :thmsup:

·
lol wut
570 Posts
You could make it yourself using the LED strips that some vendors on here sell and then custom wire it yourself. Not sure how the wiring goes. I think you tap into the 12V power source in the center console and wire a switch to it, but I'm no electrical engineer so don't hold me against that haha. I'm sure there are plenty of threads on how to do it, on the forums. Just search and you'll find it.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I installed the ambient lighting kit from the Crosstour. No drilling as those LEDs snap into the V6 undercovers. Now that it is installed it would not take much to tap in to extend to other areas.

That being said the LEDs are pretty dim but I really like the fact that it is a factory dash switch. There is just enough light that you don't know it is on unless it is completely dark.

·
Generation 9
565 Posts
Ambient

Agreed with above post. The lighting is dim, you can just notice it if you pay attention. Or it blends into the backround when you're not. Depends on the effect you want. I got the factory OEM install and it is nice to have the switch (goes next to the VSA switch on the left by your knee, you lose the cubby) and also they provide (well you pay for) two extra pieces of plastic panels that the lights sit in. They are two panels which also help aleviate any noise coming from down there as well, an extra advantage. They don't just attach the light to the underside of the box. I did not know this until the tech pointed out the two panels they were installed on. The ideal situation for a nice OEM look is to do the install and then replace the bulb with a brighter or bluer LED or something if the OEM wiring can handle it. For that, I leave the floor open to the electrical whizzes on here to answer. Sometimes I feel I would like to put a brighter bulb in there. Any input on whether it can handle it? For the original poster, yeah it is a bit expensive, but overall worth it if you like the look of ambients. I am glad I did it.:thmsup:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took a look at the cross tour design and it's very easy to install, how difficult would it be to add a couple more lights or would changing the bulb be possible?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Fairly easy to add additional LEDs as the wiring is right there. Just pick where you want and figure out how to mount. It has a 2 amp fuse so can drive quite a few more LEDs.

The CT LEDs are in a plastic housing. Should be able to break them open and put in a brighter light.

·
Generation 9
565 Posts
Thanks, "Stuff", that is a probable do..Maybe jsut breaking off the plastic will allow the OEM bulbs to show a bit better..I would like just a small amount of brighter light. I am going to check out that plastic cover/housing later this afternoon.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am going to pull the trigger buying the crosstour kit, but wanted to just make sure that it'll work on any 8th Gen accord 4-dr? or just 2010+? Could anyone confirm? Thank you!!

I have a 2008 EXL 4-cyl.

i know that i need to get the lower cover (same parts# as crosstour!) but the wire and everything will work?

Checked the original accord ambient light kit manual and looks like i have to pop open the cover above the steering wheel too; then checked the crosstour's one and looks like this is a very huge improvement in terms of the ease of installation!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Alot of people on DA have installed the Accord/Crosstour ambient light kits.

Go ahead and order it, it'll work. Took me about 30 minutes start to finish. Make sure you order the crosstour version. It goes on much easier (no drilling).

·
Registered
188 Posts
for about 20 bucks, i went to autozone or advanced auto. i got blue led spotlights. i used the center armrest 12v plug & purchased an extension 12v thingy w/ 4 12v cig lighter slots. each slot has a toggle switch to turn it on & off. i use 2 slots for the leds & 1 for the valentine 1. i attached the 4 12v module by my right knee on the center console so i can quickly shut the valentine 1 if pulled over, as well as shut the lights off. the led kit i purchased had a dimmer control too, which i attached to the left of the e-brake. there is a spotlight at each footwell, 1 in the back of the storage cubby under the stereo dash, in front of the shifter, & another 2 mounted to the back of the seats for the rear footwells. i love it & so does everyone that has seen it. they are fully controllable via the dimmer knob & much much brighter than the crosstour kit. if you take the time to install it correctly, you cannot see any wiring at all. i have pics somewhere. if u really want to see it, i can dig them up somewhere. but, i would def save your money & nig rig the autozone set up. the center cubby hole light is the coolest & nobody else i know has done it. that light & the light attached to the driver side door sill are not single led spotlights, but rather flat, rectangular led chip lights. it was tricky wiring those to the dimmer knob, but well worth it. the only thing i have not done is wire it to the relay/fuse that would turn it on when i unlock the car or open the door. thats the only benefit i lose by not having the crosstour kit. but, id rather have intensity control, brighter light even on the lowest setting & the ability to pivot & angle the spotlights in the footwells. the cubby hole & driver's door sill light are stationary. still, for the money, it cannot be beat imo.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
for about 20 bucks, i went to autozone or advanced auto. i got blue led spotlights. i used the center armrest 12v plug & purchased an extension 12v thingy w/ 4 12v cig lighter slots. each slot has a toggle switch to turn it on & off. i use 2 slots for the leds & 1 for the valentine 1. i attached the 4 12v module by my right knee on the center console so i can quickly shut the valentine 1 if pulled over, as well as shut the lights off. the led kit i purchased had a dimmer control too, which i attached to the left of the e-brake. there is a spotlight at each footwell, 1 in the back of the storage cubby under the stereo dash, in front of the shifter, & another 2 mounted to the back of the seats for the rear footwells. i love it & so does everyone that has seen it. they are fully controllable via the dimmer knob & much much brighter than the crosstour kit. if you take the time to install it correctly, you cannot see any wiring at all. i have pics somewhere. if u really want to see it, i can dig them up somewhere. but, i would def save your money & nig rig the autozone set up. the center cubby hole light is the coolest & nobody else i know has done it. that light & the light attached to the driver side door sill are not single led spotlights, but rather flat, rectangular led chip lights. it was tricky wiring those to the dimmer knob, but well worth it. the only thing i have not done is wire it to the relay/fuse that would turn it on when i unlock the car or open the door. thats the only benefit i lose by not having the crosstour kit. but, id rather have intensity control, brighter light even on the lowest setting & the ability to pivot & angle the spotlights in the footwells. the cubby hole & driver's door sill light are stationary. still, for the money, it cannot be beat imo.
From what I can understand.. you have it plugged into the 12v slot? :dunno:

·
Registered
188 Posts
yes correct, the 12v slot inside the arm rest console where the aux jack is. i dremel'd a 2inch hole on the left side of the console. i snaked the wire out that hole, then superglued it back on w/ a little slit to accommodate the wire. it is totally discreet & nobody has noticed it thus far. everyone asks how i did it & after pointing it out, they still can only see the wire going in/out the center storage armrest thing. that 12v wire leads to a 4 way 12v splitter module. this is attached to the left side of the center stack where your right knee is. i have the 12v plugs facing downwards where it blends into the black carpeting & just shoved the wiring into the plastic so it cannot be seen. it sounds complex, but took maybe 30 mins to do, tops. the majority of time was dremeling out the little hole in the armrest side. initially, i did not do any cutting. i just am neurotic & don't like any wiring to be seen, so i did it later on. i think ill have to post pics for u to see. if u go to advanced auto etc, you will be able to figure it out urself tho, i promise. a monkey could do it, esp if i could. pics would explain it all. lemme find em for ya

·
Registered
188 Posts
damn, this is all i could find. it doesnt show the final configuration. but, u get the idea. the Type S splitter is now facing down. the wires were not hidden at this point, these pics were the 1st day of install b4 my neurosis kicked into high gear.

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ah I see, nice and simple alternative I guess :p Thanks for the share, It looks nice :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
np. i wish i could find the better pics. these were taken w/ a 3mp camera phone. i have my 12.1 sony camera phone w/ the final install pics. it looks great at night. the type s splitter has red led's on the toggle switches too, which looks pretty cool at nite time too. such a cheap solution & it is fully adjustable to boot. the cubby hole light comes in handy soooo often. i keep the 4th slot empty for a single white led spotlight i have for doing stealthy things at nite time whilst driving. its useful for those times you do not want to draw attn to yourself while rolling a......map. = )

also, the 4th slot can be used for my celly charger instead of using the slot by the cubbyhole. i like keeping those closed & neat. as i mentioned, im neurotic & a perfectionist. i only wish the aux jack was located in that same area. i hate using the storage bin aux jack b/c there is no way at all to conceal the wiring. i am working on a solution to widen the cut out hole to fit the aux wire thru there as well & add a female to female extender to hide that wire as well & conceal my mp3 players, as well. just haven't had the time & it is still 80 degrees in fl every damn day. when it cools down, i will prob do that as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts