Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know specifically what type of material is in the Accord Sport? I know the steering wheel and shift knob is leather, but what about dash and arm rest ect.

Seems like cheap leather but is it really vinyl? Should I be using leather care vs over all plastic/vinyl protectant?

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,338 Posts
IBTM.

Jay. :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Does anyone know specifically what type of material is in the Accord Sport? I know the steering wheel and shift knob is leather, but what about dash and arm rest ect.

Seems like cheap leather but is it really vinyl? Should I be using leather care vs over all plastic/vinyl protectant?
What ever you use I would recommend against using Armor-all. Don't why some slather that stuff on everything and charge extra at the wash for it.

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
What ever you use I would recommend against using Armor-all. Don't why some slather that stuff on everything and charge extra at the wash for it.
I'd been told by a VW dealer not to use this on the dash, which is fine because it causes bad reflections. I got my car back, and what had they used? Armor-All of course lol

·
Registered
547 Posts
its vinyl.....plastic cleaner and protector---> 303 aerospace
+1
Been using 303 Aerospace for years...great product for the dash and vinyl...my '03 Accord's dashboard looked brand new after 10 years..DO NOT USE Armour all..greasy and reflective on dash

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
Clean with a good APC & then you have a few choices of what to do. You can leave it like that if you wanted. I just purchased Carpro PERL as its supposed to be top notch on tires, interior, engine plastics, etc. It can be diluted so you get a ton of it for the money.

All you 303 lovers, CarPro said their PERL is the same formula as 303, just more concentrated and with more protestants.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,338 Posts
Armor All is for vinyl or plastic interior parts like the dashboard. A few applications per year will keep it looking almost new.

I used Armor All a couple times a year on my 1991 Accord for over 20 years. I took this picture last week, 9-12-2013. This is not fresh Armor-All on it in the picture, I haven't Armor Alled it in months. All Interior is original, I think it was the Armor All that kept the dash and other vinyl looking almost new. And this car was only garaged 3 of it's 22 years and it's lived in the heat of FL, CA and TX all it's life...
Holy flashback to my Cousins 92 EX Sedan.

Jay

·
Registered
178 Posts
Holy flashback to my Cousins 92 EX Sedan.

Jay
I deleted the post before I saw there was a response. Here's the Picture again.

Armor-All works good to keep vinyl like dashboards looking good long term. Not for leather though. Picture taken 9-12-2013. Interior vinyl parts were always Armor-Alled 3 or 4 times per year. Car was only garaged for 3 or 4 of it's 22 year life in the heat of FL, CA and TX. The Armor-All, tinted windows and a windshield sunshade kept the interior looking very good for it's age even still after 22 years.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I've used Armor All on all of my cars since early 80's. I have never had any issues with it. I see the "horror stories" on the internet all the time and it baffles me. Grant it, I'll use it maybe 2-3 times a year, maybe the horror stories are guys using it 20-30 times a year? I don't know but it has never cracked anything I've used it on ever. That being said, I've never used it on anything but the dash and doors. Anything that looks leather'ish whether its leather or not I don't use it on.

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
I've used Armor All on all of my cars since early 80's. I have never had any issues with it. I see the "horror stories" on the internet all the time and it baffles me. Grant it, I'll use it maybe 2-3 times a year, maybe the horror stories are guys using it 20-30 times a year? I don't know but it has never cracked anything I've used it on ever. That being said, I've never used it on anything but the dash and doors. Anything that looks leather'ish whether its leather or not I don't use it on.
It looks like you dumped cooking oil on the dash after applying Armor-All. It's so shiny, and it's a cheap looking shiny. It makes the dash reflect into the windshield so bad, I can hardly see to drive. I stopped using it because of that, and then heard it wasn't good for the dash materials.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i ended up getting the 303 aerospace, i have to say i really like it. It has a slight shine that looks like new. Armour all is way too shiny. I used turtle wax ice in the past and it had not shine but also didnt make the black look like it was new like 303 does,

·
Registered
8 Posts
You could also try PERL and dilute it about 7:1 or 8:1....would be the same as 303 and quite a bit cheaper. Plus you can use it for other things
I bought some PERL based on your recommendation in another thread. Used it this weekend and it works really well. I did 5:1 for the interior plastics and 1:1 for the tires and they both came out looking great.

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
Yeah it does work well. I think 5:1 is a little too shiny for my liking on black (looks great on my girls beige interior), but obviously it can be buffed OR diluted down a little more. For tires it's one of the best. I've heard for exterior plastics it's good, but Ultima has one of the best for that. I love my UWW+, so I can imagine it's a great product also

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.