Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
2018 EXL 1.5 white nonav
239 Posts
Sounds like typical android problems.
Yah but the more the robots control the actual driving the less we want to hear about typical software problems.

Half the reason I keep leasing the newest thing is to get some experience with things (and for the amusement that entails), but if Asimo is going to go all Hal on me that would be unfortunate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have many issues with the 2018 Accord infotainment system. I have done the factory reset at least 5 different times. Sometimes it will allow the messaging feature and most times not by saying the phone needs to allow notifications. Sometimes it loads my contacts, sometimes not. It reboots randomly while I am driving. Calls sometimes transfer back to my phone during a call and then the radio can't be turned off. Sometimes the other doors can't be unlocked with the key fob after the drivers door is opened by the handle. The navigation loading of saved addresses is painfully long. I want to rip it out of the car. The apple car play doesn't work on bluetooth. After a call, it won't return to the audio but sometimes remains on the phone screen with no audio. I can't use Siri in the car sometimes as it is waiting for audio commands to the system but other times Siri works independent of the infotainment system. I think it should recognize which button I am pushing, the phone or the voice command button but it doesn't.

The Honda dealer admitted there are issues with the Iphone and the system but there is no known solution other than factory resets. He said the phones are now sending 10 times as much data to the system than what was designed and that it can't keep up. I am ready to trade the car in after only 2,000 miles. Is there any solution to all of this? It seems more than just an issue with the phone since it affects so many functions.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I have many issues with the 2018 Accord infotainment system. I have done the factory reset at least 5 different times. Sometimes it will allow the messaging feature and most times not by saying the phone needs to allow notifications. Sometimes it loads my contacts, sometimes not. It reboots randomly while I am driving. Calls sometimes transfer back to my phone during a call and then the radio can't be turned off. Sometimes the other doors can't be unlocked with the key fob after the drivers door is opened by the handle. The navigation loading of saved addresses is painfully long. I want to rip it out of the car. The apple car play doesn't work on bluetooth. After a call, it won't return to the audio but sometimes remains on the phone screen with no audio. I can't use Siri in the car sometimes as it is waiting for audio commands to the system but other times Siri works independent of the infotainment system. I think it should recognize which button I am pushing, the phone or the voice command button but it doesn't.

The Honda dealer admitted there are issues with the Iphone and the system but there is no known solution other than factory resets. He said the phones are now sending 10 times as much data to the system than what was designed and that it can't keep up. I am ready to trade the car in after only 2,000 miles. Is there any solution to all of this? It seems more than just an issue with the phone since it affects so many functions.
I'm often intrigued how different people can have completely different experiences with the same product. My Accord's infotainment system has been rock solid for the two months I've owned the car so far. It was delivered with the latest software update. CarPlay works. Bluetooth works. It has not rebooted or frozen. Text messages work. Phone calls work. My address book shows up.

My brother seems to have problems with every vehicle or electronic device he buys while I have a much more reliable experience even though I utilize the products more. *shrug*

"[The dealer] said the phones are now sending 10 times as much data to the system than what was designed and that it can't keep up." HAHA! He's making things up that he knows nothing about. Typical dealer.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I'm often intrigued how different people can have completely different experiences with the same product. My Accord's infotainment system has been rock solid for the two months I've owned the car so far. It was delivered with the latest software update. CarPlay works. Bluetooth works. It has not rebooted or frozen. Text messages work. Phone calls work. My address book shows up.

My brother seems to have problems with every vehicle or electronic device he buys while I have a much more reliable experience even though I utilize the products more. *shrug*

"[The dealer] said the phones are now sending 10 times as much data to the system than what was designed and that it can't keep up." HAHA! He's making things up that he knows nothing about. Typical dealer.
I think there are lots of variables at play. It must be a nightmare to design a system that's stable with so many different brands/models of phone, and so many different expectations for use. At a minimum, I think people need to make sure their phones and the infotainment system are both updated before plugging everything in and complaining about issues.

I don't quite understand the big deal about Android auto. I used it once, said "meh", and went back to using the stock system. My phone goes on the charging pad when I get in the car, and doesn't move until I exit the car.

One thing that does suck about the new system is that it will alert you that you have a text message, but actually reading it requires too many steps. One should be able to press the notification and immediately see the text message. If anyone knows a better way to read text messages with this system, please let me know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I called Honda the other day and created a ticket for issues with the infotainment. My issue is the freezing of CarPlay, and I use it for Maps. I have reset the system for factory settings twice and it works well, but it still has a couple of glitches.

The Honda guys called and mentioned that they had 5 more other cases of people calling them about their infotainment. Apparently, the issue of mine is the software running on my phone. The iOs 11+, they said they were gonna work with Apple engineers to resolve that issue.

This new infotainment has a lot of issues. I hope they resolve them since most of us rely on them. If more owners let them know they're affected, the quicker solution and attention will be brought.

Hope that helps your question.
I also have intermittent freezing of the infotainment screen on my 2018 Accord Sport 2.0 liter, automatic. It goes away if I pull over and restart the car. This is very aggravating. The dealer told me they cant figure out problem unless it happens in there shop. I live 1/2 hour from dealer. Suggestions???

·
Registered
1 Posts
Continuing Honda Infotainment Problems

Honda Motor Corp needs to take responsibility for putting this POS Infotainment System in their Vehicles without more Testing and Quality Assurance.

I have had my 2018 Honda Accord Sport 1.5T CVT since March of 2018. The "Infotainment" system has not worked consistently since I the first week. I have had it replaced once already and the problems seem even worse now. Not to mention I thought I was getting a new head unit, when in fact it was a unit from another couple's vehicle with the husband & wife's iPhone names still showing enabled for CarPlay. What kind of warranty service is that? I was hoping maybe a new unit with updated firmware, possibly a newer circuit board revision, or better quality hardware components.

Anyway, there is one major item I have noticed that affects the Infotainment System causing it to crash, not respond, or just not work. It is due to excessive heat & cold. After all, Honda went the cheap route and used a completely free Open-Source Operating System(Android), and this whole system is basically a Tablet Computer, and a crappy, stripped down, restricted version at that. Like with any computer parts, HEAT is not good. It doesn't help that the touchscreen panel is sticking up from the dash in direct sunlight heating to temperatures exceeding the specifications of probably nearly every electronic part contained in the touchscreen panel unit.

It took basically a whole year experiencing the Hot Summers and Cold Winters to realize that nearly all my issues with this unit tend to be temperature related. I have a feeling Honda knows about this and doesn't want to take responsibility as they probably have not a single clue how to fix this issue without redesigning the system and then replacing all the units.

I am on my 4th Honda Accord and this 2018 model is by far the most disappointing model I have owned to date. Issues like this should be solved before the vehicle is offered for sale to the public.

It would have been nice if Honda actually put a REAL power button on these units so I don't have to pull over to the side of the road, turn off the vehicle, and then start it again just to get the infotainment system working again. Seriously, I'd rather have the system taken out and have my local car audio shop put in something that is higher quality, more reliable, and probably costs less than the option price for the Honda Infotainment POS.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I purchased a 2018 Honda Accord 1.5 Touring in October and love it. However I'm having some intermittent computer problems that don't affect the driving, safety or performance. I tried upgrading the system and the message is that my system is up to date. I haven't been back to the dealer because I'm on vacation 'til April and these problems aren't urgent. Is anyone else who owns a 2018 Accord experiencing this:

• Intermittently the system warns that the collision avoidance system is not working, see the dealer. Cruise Control stops working. After shutting the ignition and restart, the warning goes away. Happens a couple of times a month.
• Intermittently the system freezes while driving. The radio cannot be turned off; the volume cannot be adjusted; none of the buttons on the system work. After about two minutes, the screen goes blank and the system reboots and everything is back to normal.
• Intermittently when starting up the car the system takes three to five minutes to come up. Backup camera works without the camera options or the guidance lines.
I could be wrong, but it sounds like one of the sensors may be blocked, or dirty. I've had snow/slush cover the radar unit in the front grill, and a lot of features stopped working.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a 2018 Honda Accord 1.5 Touring in October and love it. However I'm having some intermittent computer problems that don't affect the driving, safety or performance. I tried upgrading the system and the message is that my system is up to date. I haven't been back to the dealer because I'm on vacation 'til April and these problems aren't urgent. Is anyone else who owns a 2018 Accord experiencing this:

• Intermittently the system warns that the collision avoidance system is not working, see the dealer. Cruise Control stops working. After shutting the ignition and restart, the warning goes away. Happens a couple of times a month.
• Intermittently the system freezes while driving. The radio cannot be turned off; the volume cannot be adjusted; none of the buttons on the system work. After about two minutes, the screen goes blank and the system reboots and everything is back to normal.
• Intermittently when starting up the car the system takes three to five minutes to come up. Backup camera works without the camera options or the guidance lines.

I have a 2018 Accord Sport and at first had an issue with safety features maybe once a month - Brake System (Electric Parking Brake System Problem), Road Departure Mitigation, Collision Mitigation Braking System, Adaptive Cruise Control, Brake Hold System errors would pop up. The interior lights and the lights behind the knobs of the air conditioning system would go out, but all of the main features of the car were still intact -- except periodically, because of all the sensoring systems failing, the brakes would apply themselves. Extremely dangerous, but found that letting up on the gas for a second, the brakes would release again, and I could accelerate again.
Long story short - took 2-3 months to troubleshoot - Honda would do an electric test, but nothing would show up in the results, they refreshed the software updates too - to no avail. Until finally the problem replicated every time I turned on the headlights. Turned out there was condensation in the tail light that was causing a short. Replaced the tail light, and have not had a single problem since. Coincidentally, my other car, a 2012 Civic and a friend's Audi had similar but not as severe computer/sensor issues - faulty tail light in my Civic and a wrong powered headlight lamp in the Audi were the culprits - replaced them and no more error messages. The computers and sensors on these cars must be super sensitive, so any type of short or wrong bulb (resistance I assume) can cause havoc. Trying to pinpoint the problem is the hard part, and you need some luck....will admit, had no idea the condensation was a problem until after a heavy rain, and more water got in, and the problem got worse.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I just bought a new 2019 Honda Accord Sport 1.5L. Within one month today, I have put 1600 miles. During those 1600 miles, I noticed my Infotainment system going through a pause and then crashing to restart. This has happen twice. I can only guess that this is running software somewhat like a tablet uses and after using it for several days for all its purposes it needed to restart and refresh. After using the Android Auto for maps constantly, I decided to only use it when needed and only use blue tooth for the audio. I have noticed that the system is no longer doing the soft resets (or its been over a week since that happen). I will assume that the data from the phone to the infotainment system is just loading with stored data that needs to be cleared. My advise, just use Android auto when needed and to use the blue tooth for your audio needs. I would also limit the use of text and and email use on the infotainment system as well. Sucks that we paid for something that we can only use for certain periods. ;(

21 - 30 of 30 Posts