Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a bunch of (older) posts but nothing new and no solid answers to this issue. Here's my situation: about 2 months ago, BOTH of my key fobs started acting wonky. The one key fob had NEVER been used. The other I have used for 10+ years straight after I bought the car in 2011. Anyway, started noticing the key fob would not lock my doors upon leaving vehicle. Tried 2nd (unused) one - same deal. I replaced batteries (on both fobs); no difference. Saw a bunch of posts suggesting wiping, turning batteries in compartment. Did that - no difference. Re-programmed key fobs per manual to correct lock/unlock set-up. no difference.
What I'm seeing is fob works initially in morning to unlock my doors, then after driving to work and exiting vehicle it won't lock (so I have to manually lock); then after about 10 minutes outside of car - it works again. When it 'doesn't work', the fob doesn't flash the red light when I push the buttons; when it does work, it flashes the light. It seems that somehow when I put the key into ignition the lock/unlock on fob is being somehow deactivated??? This happens now every time with either fob. Works at first and then drive the first time of the day, and then it doesn't work for about 10 minutes after removing key and going away from car; and then it works properly rest of day whether I drive several times or not at all. Again, when it works, key fob light flashes; when not working, key fob light doesn't flash. Anyone have a solution?

· Registered
16 Posts
After the first drive is complete - and you try it and see no light - remove the battery and re-insert into the FOB and see if that works.

It seems the key still thinks its inserted into the ignition after you take it out - maybe go FULL OFF - open driver door - hear beeping that key is still in ignition, then remove it.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After the first drive is complete - and you try it and see no light - remove the battery and re-insert into the FOB and see if that works.

It seems the key still thinks its inserted into the ignition after you take it out - maybe go FULL OFF - open driver door - hear beeping that key is still in ignition, then remove it.
Well, the problem has COMPLETELY gone away with the warmer weather...as some others have stated. Hard for me to understand as the car is garage kept and the key fobs kept inside the house...I guess the garage can get down to 30-40F or so during the winter, so maybe it's at this temp? Just hard to understand

· Registered
16 Posts
Well, the problem has COMPLETELY gone away with the warmer weather...as some others have stated. Hard for me to understand as the car is garage kept and the key fobs kept inside the house...I guess the garage can get down to 30-40F or so during the winter, so maybe it's at this temp? Just hard to understand
It could be that the ignition cylinder / immobilizer was just not registering key removal on first drive because it hadn’t warmed up yet…

that really shouldn’t be the case since that’s controlled via wireless signals between the key fob and immobilizer and physical contact between key and ignition.

i am genuinely confused but happy to hear your problem is gone :)

now if only my parasitic draw can fix itself haha

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.