Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2013 Accord EX-L 4 cylinder. I've encountered an intermittent starting issue recently where the starter does not function on the fist several pushes of the start button. Sometimes it starts on the first push, but more recently it takes several pushes for the starter to engage. When this happens, the interior lights on the dash board indicate the car is on and I hear a click sound from under the dash that sounds like a relay engaging.

I've read about TSB16-002 but that applies to the V6's and the symptom is the starter grinds or spins at startup.

The battery is approx 1 year old and is a Duralast Gold.

Has anyone experienced this issue? Can you help point me in the right direction?

Thanks

·
Elvira - the car
3,511 Posts
Hello, I have a 2013 Accord EX-L 4 cylinder. I've encountered an intermittent starting issue recently where the starter does not function on the fist several pushes of the start button. Sometimes it starts on the first push, but more recently it takes several pushes for the starter to engage. When this happens, the interior lights on the dash board indicate the car is on and I hear a click sound from under the dash that sounds like a relay engaging.

I've read about TSB16-002 but that applies to the V6's and the symptom is the starter grinds or spins at startup.

The battery is approx 1 year old and is a Duralast Gold.

Has anyone experienced this issue? Can you help point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Do you have the Smartkey symbol lighting up on the dash?

You may want to check this out...

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/2358554-post25.html

This may be more in line with what you are experiencing.

tsb 13-101 - Drive Accord Honda Forums - Threads Tagged with tsb 13-101

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep the smartkey symbol is there.

50% of the time it starts right up on the first push. The rest of the time it takes 3-4 pushes for the starter to engage and it starts immediately once the starter engages.

It feels like a starter issue but I'm going to trace and test the relays in that circuit.

·
Ron
14 Posts
Hi,*
I have this strange intermittent starting issue on my 2013 accord lx 4cyl 55k miles*
new battery*

​​​​​sometimes it starts in 1st try, but sometimes it takes upto 8-10 tries to start the car.

all I hear is a click sound when I turn the key, no crank at all, but when it cranks it starts rightaway.

I tried using the spare key, replaced battery, cleaning the battrey terminals but no luck

I talked to dealer and they said keep driving until it dies then tow it to us.*

looks like it's common issue with 2013-2017 models, many owners are complaining but not sure if it's starter failing or relay or any other electronic Part ?*

please suggest how to pinpoint the cause of this problem,* don't want to pay $800 to delar just to replace starter and to find later that same issue still exists.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue with my 2013 Accord (keyed) 4 cylinder. New 51R battery failed to start 9 of 10 times after 1 month of use. Upgraded to 24f battery and issue is better but not cured (fails 1 of 20 times). I need Honda Reliability.

Connections to grounding cable were corroded (blue color). Sanded clean, issue persists. No drain on battery overnight. Dealer did $135 electrical diagnostics, no issues found.

OBD2 Reader found code 85-01 for Power Steering. Dealer said that's from low voltage while changing the battery. Dealer insists it's the starter but for $1k, I'll order the part and DIY. I'll clean the connections to the starter first and see how that goes.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I know this is an old thread...

But hopefully i could help someone with this, as i had the same issue with my 2013 accord 4 cylinder (non push start).
First i checked electrical connections, it was good an had no corrosion. Then replaced the battery with a new one but that didn't help.

Dealership wanted a diagnostics fee, if i go with that i think they will say i have to replace the starter.
Someone who had this problem in his car and knows better, found the source of the problem and suggested we do what he did.

The issue in my case was something inside the starter called brush holder set that costs around $30
You don't have to replace the whole starter. Check for compatibility first before buying anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts