Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done some research with no luck so far on an answer. My wife has an 03 Accord EX that wants to start sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. I have checked the electrical system, battery is good (no corrosion), alternator is good, and starter is good. Not sure what it could be. It turns over sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. The lights stay light when cranking also. Any help would be appreciated. My wife has a 4 and 2 year old and is 8 weeks pregnant and don't want to leave her stranded somewhere so I want to figure out the problem asap. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Could be a faulty starter relay possibly intermittently going in and out...just a thought.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any idea where the starter relay is? Didn't see anything listed in the fuses. I haven't been able to get it to act up again so I'm kind of waiting around.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I dont think Accords use a separate starter relay. The solenoid on the starter functions as a relay.

How do you get it started now, jumper cables or just let it set for a while?
Does the engine make any clicking noises when the key is turned and it fails to start? Sometimes a bad starter will be intermittent before it totally fails and a rap with hammer or other similar tool will get it working for a while and confirm thats the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sometimes it will start after waiting but seems to happen more when its cold out. I've jumped it and sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I've also hit the starter but not sure if it worked or not. I haven't had any help so someone could sit with the key on and see if it turns over. It will turn over and click or just click. Hope this helps. Sorry for the delay.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I have checked the electrical system, battery is good (no corrosion)
I could just not be understanding you. But you did have the battery tested (load test) and you didn't just eyeball it to see the terminals weren't corroded? If your battery is more than 1 - 2 years old and you didn't test it, that's where I suggest you start. (no pun intended). Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The battery is brand new 1 month old. The electrical system (battery, alternator,starter) were all tested at auto zone!.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Testing at AutoZone is well and fine and I'm sure it's helped lots of people. But I wouldn't expect too much from them. Based on the circumstances you stated, it would seem that it's time to hire a competent mechanic. There are quite a # of things that can cause starting problems as you can probably tell from the suggestions you've already received. This previous post of the troubleshooting chart from the service manual might give you some ideas if you haven't already seen it. But it also demonstrates how many things it can be, including some that the average shade tree mechanic would be hard pressed to deal with.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showpost.php?p=1563265&postcount=4

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for info and I'll take a look at the attach. I don't necessarily rely on parts stores either but at least sometimes they can eliminate possibilities.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
My first guess would be the starter, I would take it off and examine it carefully.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts