Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Intermittent starting issues

6K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  bcgreen 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

98 accord v6 with intermittent starting issues. Cold start, no crank, no start condition. I can hear the fuel pump working but nothing happens when I turn the key. If I repeatedly turn the key eventually the car will start. First thought was replace the battery terminal connectors because they were in rough shape but that hasn't helped. I've had the battery and alternator tested and they are okay, so what is my next step? Starter/Solenoid/Relay??

Thanks in advance

#3 ·
Do you have any idea of the level of reliability of an aftermarket starter or could recommend one brand vs. another? I know that Denso products are superior, but the car has 300K miles on it and I am not financially positioned to spend several hundred dollars on the starter motor. Replacing the starter looks easy enough but I'm not confident in my ability to rebuild it.

#5 ·
Aloha. Yeah, sounds like Your starter. Maybe just clean the connections first and see if that helps. Removing the battery and intake will give you lots more room. For My starter, My brushes were breaking apart, so I got one off eBay for $30! It was from the same year and model as My car. There's many guys who raid junk yards and sell the parts on eBay. Good luck!
Aloha 🤙

#6 ·
To rule out wiring I would try two things not mentioned yet. Trigger wire at starter disconnected for both checks:

1. Put 12v to that small pin on the starter to see if the solenoid is working. Starter should crank no matter what position the key is in.

2. Next, check for voltage from the trigger wire while the key is turned to start. If this fails you might look into the ignition switch recall.

Also make sure the starter is tight to the transmission since thats it's ground and make sure the large wire to the battery is tight at both ends and not corroded anywhere. At this age corrosion could be a concern.

#10 ·
Perhaps you haven't had your career ended by the pandemic and don't have extra funds. If they're all made in China then I think the quality control is negligible unless I'm willing to pay full price for the Denso, which I normally would if I were in a better financial position.

I had every intention of removing the starter today but decided to check the battery terminals again. When I installed the new connectors I apparently didn't tighten them up completely. I was worried about overtightening it and bending the cheap metal that I didn't give it quite enough torque. Lesson learned from doing a repair at midnight with a flashlight. So far so good hoping that is all it is! If I do need to replace the starter I will check back here. Thanks everyone.

#11 ·
Solid. 👌👍🤙

#13 ·
It's back! I parked the car for 2-3 days and tried starting it yesterday, no click, nothing. The battery cables had somehow become loose again? But after ratcheting it back down, still no crank no start until I turned the key 20+ times. I drove the car 1,000 miles+ with zero issues until yesterday. It'll probably start right up now, until it doesn't again.

I've had this car for 10 years and it has consistently had intermittent starting issues the entire time. Hot start issues related to the heat soak and intermittent cold starting problems. Several years ago the key wouldn't turn without the help of some graphite...not sure if at all related.

What are the symptoms related to the ignition switch recall? Not sure if my vehicle is one of the ones affected or not.

#15 ·
May 13,2002
Manufacturer Recall NumberL55
NHTSA Recall Number02V-120
Recall StatusRecall Incomplete
SummaryON CERTAIN SEDANS, COUPES, HATCHBACKS, AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, ELECTRICAL CONTACTS IN THE IGNITION SWITCH CAN DEGRADE DUE TO THE HIGH ELECTRICAL CURRENT PASSING THROUGH THE SWITCH WHEN THE VEHICLE IS STARTED.
Safety RiskWORN CONTACTS COULD CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STALL WITHOUT WARNING, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Oct 24,2003
Manufacturer Recall NumberP15
NHTSA Recall Number03V-423
Recall StatusRecall Incomplete
SummaryON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES AND MINI VANS, THE IGNITION SWITCH MAY WEAR EXCESSIVELY AND PREVENT PROPER INTERLOCK OPERATION, MAKING IT POSSIBLE TO TURN THE IGNITION KEY TO THE "OFF" POSITION AND REMOVE THE KEY WITHOUT SHIFTING THE TRANSMISSION TO "PARK."
Safety RiskIF THE VEHICLE OPERATOR DOES NOT SHIFT TO "PARK" BEFORE REMOVING THE KEY AND FAILS TO ENGAGE THE PARKING BRAKE, THE VEHICLE COULD ROLL AND A CRASH COULD OCCUR.
RemedyDEALERS WILL PERFORM AN INSPECTION PROCEDURE THAT DETERMINES THE AMOUNT OF CYLINDER BODY WEAR. IF SIGNIFICANT WEAR IS INDICATED, THE DEALER WILL REPLACE THE CYLINDER BODY, COLLAR, AND LATCH PLATE. IF NO SIGNS OF WEAR ARE INDICATED, DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE LATCH PLATE WITH A REDESIGNED PART. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN DECEMBER 8, 2003
I'll be taking it in ASAP to have the recalls fixed. It seems like the ignition switch can cause a host of problems beyond just what is mentioned here in the recall. I went to crank the car this morning and it didn't start until I turned the key 15 times or so. My radio also started acting up today, wouldn't even turn on at all, then flickered on and off. I figured at first it was the shoddy wiring job I did, but this too could be related to the ignition switch.

Faulty ignition switch, faulty main relays, and heat soak related starting issues.... collectively add up to a lot of difficulty getting the vehicle started. It always starts up eventually, but I'm usually late and annoyed by that point. :LOL:

#16 ·
Ignition switch is on back order from Honda with no estimated delivery date. Fantastic. They won't pay for an aftermarket replacement either. Incredible. With the car becoming increasingly undriveable it looks like I'm just going to have to pay for it myself. They couldn't possibly have been less helpful.

#18 ·
Which means its barely broken in! :LOL:
Since I last posted, the car wouldn't start up no matter how many times I turned the key. I decided to take the starter off and have it tested at the auto parts store. The starter was bad, but my problem was compounded by poor battery cable connections as well.

I'd still like to get the ignition switch repaired but I won't be shelling out my own money to replace a part that was defective when it came off the assembly line.

I picked up an el-cheapo starter from Amazon for $63 plus tax. The reviews looked pretty decent. Majestic Honda has the OEM Mitsuba starter priced at a whopping $567 and O'Reilly's wanted $167 plus the core for their store brand Chinese starter. O'Reilly's told me they would match Amazon and then balked at the price difference. I'll be keeping the starter I pulled off the car so if anyone can recommend a good rebuild kit I'll tinker around with it and keep it as a backup for when this new starter inevitably fails.

#19 ·
I bought my starter off ebay. It was taken from a junked car same make and model as mine..$36+free shipping for a "new-used" one.. 5 months later, starts up first crank.
Aloha ❤🤙💪😊

Reactions: bcgreen
#20 ·
I bought my starter off ebay. It was taken from a junked car same make and model as mine..$36+free shipping for a "new-used" one.. 5 months later, starts up first crank.
Aloha ❤🤙💪😊
I haven't used eBay in 20 years! I'll definitely have to look there in the future for parts. My Chinazon part arrived today. Quick install and a perfect fit. The starter sounds completely different though -- its much louder, takes a brief moment longer start up. Kinda sounds like a big truck when cranking up, but so far so good!

#21 ·
Keep the old one and if you're laid off from the pandemic, a guy here did a write up on rebuilding Honda starters.
A perfect time to learn the rebuild procedure, I say.

@t-rd has some great write ups, as well. He has his own "ask me a question" thread.
Listen to him, as he's got tons of experience.

#22 · (Edited)
I'm right there with you, I'd love to tear it apart and repair it. Unfortunately I don't think its the original starter. I wish it were because the quality difference is definitely noticeable. My '02 4 cyl Accord still has the original Denso starter on it with 221k. I've been driving it for Uber for the last 30,000 miles so its getting a ton of work but performing flawlessly.

If it lasts for a couple of years I'll be satisfied with my purchase. The 17mm mounting bolts were a bit of a PITA to get off but with an extension and a 1/2 in drive ratchet I managed. Overall its an easy job and I'd rather install a half dozen of these than pay over $500 for a new OEM. The retail price on the Denso starter for my other Accord is less than half the price of the Mitsuba for the V6.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.