Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Intermittent starting problem on an 2004 honda Accord Auto 4 cyl . Battery is new and all dash lights come on when key is turned to start and nothing happens no sound at all. Shake shift leaver or move from P to N and try staring again and most times starts immediately but sometimes you have to move shifter back and forth many times before it will start. Seems to happen in spells and then all is fine for months and then it acts up again. Honda put a new battery in 6 months ago. Want to get it looked after before winter is here.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had the same problem. I used to have to push and pull on the shift lever when it was in park to start. Also, you can try starting in neutral if you want (remember to keep your foot on the brake . Check the neutral safety switch. I replaced mine and no more problems (keeping my fingers crossed).

·
khol
106 Posts
You should check the starter as well. I had an '03 Camry for only 9 months and the starter had to be replaced twice. The same things you described happened to me, save what you described with the gear shifter. When it does start is it slow to start?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do not believe that it is the starter as when it starts it starts strong but it sounds like the neutral safety switch so I will check that out mesamies. Did you fix it yourself. Is it an expensive part.
Thanks to all replies so far will keep you posted.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wow! I tot I was the only one having this problem.most times, it would screech and won't start until I crank the engine again, then once in a while, it won't make any sound at all,with all the dashlights on,until the mechanic inserts his hand where he says the starter is.it happend again last week friday.I was thinking of changing the starter this weekend, but I'm not convinced that the starter is bad.what could be the problem? And where can I locate this neutral safety switch?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had my mechanic fix my neutral safety switch. I was told that it was along the side of the transmission and easy to get to. It was not too expensive (less than $60 for parts). I bought the part from Honda. I was also told that the switch could be tested, but I didn't because I had already replaced the starter and battery. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had my mechanic fix my neutral safety switch. I was told that it was along the side of the transmission and easy to get to. It was not too expensive (less than $60 for parts). I bought the part from Honda. I was also told that the switch could be tested, but I didn't because I had already replaced the starter and battery. I hope this helps.
Please what is the part number for this neutral safety switch?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Same problem here as the OP. What is the part number for the NSS?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Found it. It is called SENSOR, POSITION in the Honda Parts Catalogue. The part number is 28900-RAY-033. Hope I'm correct. Can anybody else confirm this could be the problem?

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,028 Posts

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts
There was a TSB for a defective starter relay. Found in under hood fuse box, I think you can swap rear defroster relay to check.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts