Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the siri eyes free does bluetooth control, but will it be possible to have screen mirroring with iOS in the car?

I read that 2014 accords should support it. Can I fit a 2014 radio unit in my 2013 ex-L?

I couldn't find any current information on google except news releases.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I know the siri eyes free does bluetooth control, but will it be possible to have screen mirroring with iOS in the car?

I read that 2014 accords should support it. Can I fit a 2014 radio unit in my 2013 ex-L?

I couldn't find any current information on google except news releases.
No, i have 2014 ex-l and it doesn't have mirroring. I don't think that a software update in the future can enable it because mirroring needs an hdmi connection just like in the 2014 civics.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, i have 2014 ex-l and it doesn't have mirroring. I don't think that a software update in the future can enable it because mirroring needs an hdmi connection just like in the 2014 civics.
the iphone doesn't have HDMI. I thought the plan was to go through the USB port.

·
Registered
74 Posts
the iphone doesn't have HDMI. I thought the plan was to go through the USB port.
Think about it this way, if honda can enable mirroring by using just one connection, why did they require two connectors on their civics? Why didn't they just use the available usb port?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Think about it this way, if honda can enable mirroring by using just one connection, why did they require two connectors on their civics? Why didn't they just use the available usb port?
Mirroring requires a VIDEO connection as opposed to a DATA connection., which is not available over USB. To get that, you need an HDMI input source. And an adapter so the iPhone can output video. In the Civic, iOS mirroring only works with a Lightning to HDMI or a 30-pin dock to HDMI connector, depending on which i-Device you have.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mirroring requires a VIDEO connection as opposed to a DATA connection., which is not available over USB. To get that, you need an HDMI input source. And an adapter so the iPhone can output video. In the Civic, iOS mirroring only works with a Lightning to HDMI or a 30-pin dock to HDMI connector, depending on which i-Device you have.
In short, it's not possible in the current accords without hardware mods

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In short, it's not possible in the current accords without hardware mods
I understand, I just thought in the civic it used the regular usb connector for screen mirroring.

In android HDMI is passed directly through the usb port. The adapter just changes he shape of the port (no digital processing).

So video wouldn't have to go (microusb -> HDMI) but rather could go (microusb -> usb)

With the same logic using apple products it doesn't have to go

(thunderbolt -> HDMI) but video is capable of being passed through the usb, if honda implemented it that way.

--

So in other note, does screen mirroring retain touch screen input on the car display?

·
2013 EX-L V6-6MT
348 Posts
The new civic will not have mirroring. It will not mirror you phone's map. It will have its own map app that will presumably use your phone's GPS.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The new civic will not have mirroring. It will not mirror you phone's map. It will have its own map app that will presumably use your phone's GPS.
That sucks if it true, but I heard iOS in the car is supposed to have mirroring.

I think im just going to do the HDMI input mod for my accord.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I understand, I just thought in the civic it used the regular usb connector for screen mirroring.

In android HDMI is passed directly through the usb port. The adapter just changes he shape of the port (no digital processing).

So video wouldn't have to go (microusb -> HDMI) but rather could go (microusb -> usb)

With the same logic using apple products it doesn't have to go

(thunderbolt -> HDMI) but video is capable of being passed through the usb, if honda implemented it that way.

--

So in other note, does screen mirroring retain touch screen input on the car display?
Not all android phones support hdmi through ubs, and those which supports hdmi have a modified usb ports, they have extra pins underneath, and you need to use mhl adapter, not usb to hdmi adapter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not going to lie, very jealous of the civics feature but I still wouldn't want the civic.

Not all android phones support hdmi through ubs, and those which supports hdmi have a modified usb ports, they have extra pins underneath, and you need to use mhl adapter, not usb to hdmi adapter.
Same difference on the outside, MHL still takes the microusb to HDMI. Thank for all the info.

·
2013 EX-L V6-6MT
348 Posts
The 2014 civic have mirroring, they have hdmi ports. And you can control your iphone using the touchscreen of the car
The 2014 Civic will have a touchscreen that can control certain Honda apps (one of which will cost $60). It will not allow true mirroring. Mirroring, when referring to the term coined by Apple, means that whatever is on your iPhone will be on the screen. This is absolutely not the case. The things that appear on the Honda touchscreen are being activated through your phone, but are limited to those that Honda produces or 3rd-party apps that they approve (like Aha). For example, you cannot pull up Google maps on the touchscreen and search for a business and have Google maps turn-by-turn directions on the screen. You will be able too use the Honda navigation app, with pinch-and-zoom control on the screen, but to say it has mirroring in incorrect. See the below youtube video that demonstrates the functionality. While not true mirroring, it is pretty cool, I must say. I wish 2013 Acccords had it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts