Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I just want to share what I did today, I bought an ELM327 OBDII scanner off Amazon to pair with my iphone 5. Overall I am very happy with the product, I use it with my 07 Accord, but basically you can use it with any OBDII compatible vehicle. I know some people have this too but is the Bluetooth version and that will only work with Android or Unlocked Iphones. Anyways I highly recommend this product its also fun to use. If you have a check engine light this will be your friend, can read an erase trouble codes and much more. Hope it can help someone. :thumbsup:

Here is the link:

The app I have is called Rev 2 (9.99) in the App store, but there are others as well Engine link is another one. Total costs is $32 dollars for an OBDII reader.

Here are some pictures of how it works

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice.

For you Android fans, I've got a BT OBDII ELM327(?) from Amazon for $14.xx and downloaded the Torque Pro app for my tablet and SGIII for $4.99. I can move it from vehicle to vehicle on both devices for an RCH less that $20.

Cool thanks a lot for your input :thmsup:
It will help other members as well.

·
2006 I4 MT
1,689 Posts
I didn't realize these BT OBD2 were working with IOS. When did this happen? When I was looking in the past, it was not working.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't realize these BT OBD2 were working with IOS. When did this happen? When I was looking in the past, it was not working.
No there is two models, one is BT and the other one Wifi.

Bluetooth works with Android.

OBDII Wifi works with IOS devices.

·
Registered
575 Posts
One thing to keep in mind:

The transmitter does not turn off when you shut your car off, so the LED light and (possibly) the bluetooth are both still receiving power when the car is off. It's a small amount of drain, but some people have reported their batteries being completely drained after a week or two of not using the car and having the transmitter plugged in.

A few people have posted tutorials on how to modify the transmitter so that it is only receiving power when the car is on, but I don't think any of the current ones on the market come standard like that.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Is there a free version app for android that reads all the speed / mpg / torque or just spend the 5$ or whatever to get the torque full version?? And what is the software disk that comes with it is that just if you want to see the graphs in reel time on your PC? half tempted to get a cheep tablet to stick in the cubby...

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
There are BT scanners for IOS. They can be pricy though, ive personally witnessed this one in action, paired by BT to a non jailbroken ipad.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I actually bought the one like jimjam its 327 version 1.4b. Check with elm because there is a boat load of fakes. Amazon had it for 11.20 for me. App for 4.95. Got it plugged it in with the 1234 paid code. The cel I have had is the same from last year, the 02 sensor. Worth every penny. Also just purchased a better holder to set up and use the carmode ultra app with the torque app running.

·
Registered
200 Posts
picked one of these up the other day (bluetooth) and downloaded the free version of torque and I'm pretty impressed with it lots of different read outs and I will prob download the full version soon.

·
2020 CBP Touring
694 Posts
I can't find any rock solid way to assure they have an ELM chip... Any ideas or links to a Bluetooth version for android 4.x.x that is known to be decent quality?

·
Registered
200 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
Can the dashcommand app record live data such as 02 sensor voltage and then display it back in a line graph? I have an Actron CP9580a but this would be great for driving around and recording data.

·
Registered
366 Posts
No there is two models, one is BT and the other one Wifi.

Bluetooth works with Android.

OBDII Wifi works with IOS devices.
I used to use the ELM via bluetooth on iOS. You have to be jailbroken and pay for an additional app (~$5) to be able to take advantage of bluetooth.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I can't find any rock solid way to assure they have an ELM chip... Any ideas or links to a Bluetooth version for android 4.x.x that is known to be decent quality?
Go to the ELM website. They list all versions and differences. Compare it to the suppliers information. Combine that with the build specs by elm like the lighting there are clear fakes. Personally the 1.4B was enough for me as I don't need to set specific parameters.

·
2020 CBP Touring
694 Posts
Ok, thanks. I was on the site but didn't catch the build specs. I heard the version number was easy to fake.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I just got the ELM327 Wifi and I am wondering if anybody else has this problem. There is not enough clearance to fully seat the reader on the OBD port. Part of the plastic panel surrounding it is in the way. Looks like I may need to to cut some plastic out with my dremel to allow it to fit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts