Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 honda accord I bought with 90000km.in the past 4 months, I have done two drain and refills so as to get fresh transmission fluid.

Now, for each of the drain and re-fill, the different auto technicians I had used for the process always add 4quarts of transmission fluid,but I know honda reccomends 3quarts.

When they fill with 3quarts and I tell them its ok,they will measure it with the dip stick and tell me it hasn't gotten to the correct mark, so they end up adding a 4th bottle.

I want to do the 3rd drain and refil next tuesday.please should I insist the auto tech use just 3quarts? Is there any danger in filling with 4quarts?

Your inputs will be highly appreciated.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Your 4 cylinder Accord holds a grand total of 6.9 quarts of automatic transmission fluid. When you do a drain and fill, (almost exactly) 3 quarts of fluid should drain out on level ground, fluid warm, letting it drain for 20 minutes and the dipstick removed.

Some members here have measured the amount drained and results are anywhere from 2 ounces SHORT of 3 quarts, to 4 ounces additional to 3 quarts. With me, it is EXACTLY 3 quarts! I have never heard of anyone needing 4 quarts of fluid after a drain and fill.

Too much fluid is bad. Since you are about to correct it with your 3rd drain and fill, I would not get too worried here. The PROPER way is to add just under 3 quarts of fluid, drive around a bit to warm up and circulate fluid, and THEN properly measure if you need to add more fluid. I add about 2 ounces at a time and keep re-checking.

On my 1991 Nissan 240sx, (yes it is an auto....no don't laugh :yes:) I may go through 3 or 4 check/re-check processes.

Many independent mechanics may not know, or care, as much as you about your car. They may think if some fluid is good, more is better. That's bad. Instead of adding a full quart, they should be adding 2 ounces at a time- but that would take them time to do and maybe they are in a hurry.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
@dan: Based on your other thread, you have a 4 cylinder auto transmission. You may be experiencing some "flaring" in the up-shifts- whereby just before the car up-shifts, the acceleration abruptly ends leading to the same feeling as if you just tapped your brakes. That is not good.

You are doing your third drain and fill- which means when you are done you will have changed 82% of your transmission fluid. The question, Dan, is that extra quart of fluid your mechanic is adding. Is THAT what is causing the flaring? It might be.

1) Are you using Honda DW-1 automatic transmission fluid? Because they may be using a fluid that does not do well in our transmissions.

2) Will you ensure your mechanic only fills with 3 quarts of Honda DW-1 fluid after the last drain?

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
If it took four quarts to fill your tranny to the correct level as indicated by the dipstick, that would mean your dirty fluid was a quart low to start with.

The method of measuring what was drained out and adding the same amount back, only makes sense if the fluid was at the correct level to begin with. In that case, it would only need three quarts. All in all, the dipstick should dictate how much fluid is needed (or not).

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Drew, excellent point! But in the OP's "other thread", he mentioned that his mechanic added 4 quarts after each of his first 2 drains.

Maybe at the first drain he noticed it was low, but at the second drain to still be a quart low?

My question: where does the transmission fluid go immediately after adding? Right to the pan? Would that level show up immediately on the dipstick?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx rick.I started experiencing it before I even made the first drain and re-fill.but then, it was only when shifting from gear 1 to 2.

I had a problem with my engine mounts and after I changed the mount, I started experiencing it in all gears. I did the 2nd drain and refil a week after I changed d mount.

Yes, I used DW-1 for all my drain and refill.

I will ensure that he refils with just 3 quarts.

Please is flaring the same as sliping?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
If it took four quarts to fill your tranny to the correct level as indicated by the dipstick, that would mean your dirty fluid was a quart low to start with.

The method of measuring what was drained out and adding the same amount back, only makes sense if the fluid was at the correct level to begin with. In that case, it would only need three quarts. All in all, the dipstick should dictate how much fluid is needed (or not).
No offense, but this doesn't make sense to me if it's correct that the trans holds a total of 6.9 quarts and that only 3 qts comes out when drained correctly on level ground. I would expect that 3.9 quarts will always remain in the trans unless it was low by more than 3 quarts. Obviously less will drain out if it's low, but you still shouldn't have to add more than 3 qts even if the trans was low by 1 or 2 qts to start with.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Please is flaring the same as sliping?
Flaring: The transmission hesitates or "hangs" for a couple of seconds before finally shifting.

Slipping: The engine revs higher but the transmission is not engaged or in sync with it. So the engine gets louder and increases in speed but the transmission does not allow your car to go faster.

If this 3rd drain and fill does not correct your issues, you may have bad news....it seems as though once these transmissions start to go, it is just a matter of time until they fail. Some members here say they keep gently driving their cars for a couple of years with the problem not getting any worse- but some have failure within a few months.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Did your mechanic add four quarts or just bill you for four quarts.
+1 I didn't even think of that! The mechanic could have used just 2 ounces of that 4th quart of fluid, yet would have to bill you for the entire quart.

Dan, please clarify. Your mechanic added an entire 4th quart of fluid, or just billed you because he had to add an ounce or two from that fourth bottle?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did your mechanic add four quarts or just bill you for four quarts.
He added 4 quarts. on the 2 occation I bought the fluids myself and took them to them.was also there when they did the drain and refill.

differnt mechanics did the two drain and refils and both of them said it wasn't enough after 3 quarts.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Perhaps another member here can clarify:

1) Does the automatic transmission fluid dipstick ONLY measure the amount of fluid in the lower "pan"?

2) If the total fluid amount in a 4 cylinder auto transmission is 6.9 quarts, am I to understand that 3 quarts of that is in the "pan" and 3.9 quarts are in the torque converter?

3) Does the torque converter get filled up and ONLY THEN allows the excess to go down into the pan?

Anyone know these answers? Bueller?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
someone is on crack because there is NO way they got four quarts out through the drain plug. find a better mechanic.
Well, the fluid from d 2nd drain and refil filled a 4litre mobil 1 engine oil container.was actually watching out for the quantity that would come out.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
No offense, but this doesn't make sense to me if it's correct that the trans holds a total of 6.9 quarts and that only 3 qts comes out when drained correctly on level ground. I would expect that 3.9 quarts will always remain in the trans unless it was low by more than 3 quarts. Obviously less will drain out if it's low, but you still shouldn't have to add more than 3 qts even if the trans was low by 1 or 2 qts to start with.
Ypsibird, it's not good to type fast and post replies while busy at work. I'm guilty of that because you make perfect sense. It should not need more than three quarts unless it was down more than three quarts, in which case you'd probably have done some serious damage to the tranny running it that low.

In any case, it's the dipstick that should have the final word. Check tranny fluid using the proper method and be done with it.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Well, the fluid from d 2nd drain and refil filled a 4litre mobil 1 engine oil container.was actually watching out for the quantity that would come out.
Dan, a liter is NOT a quart. Are you in Canada?

I travel around the world a lot and if I learned one thing, it is that we need a dictator to just finally convert us into the metric system and just be done with it already. Only the USA, Liberia, and Myanmar are the holdouts.....so if you are vacationing in those other two countries (in between military coups) then you are in luck if you have to wrench a 1970's Chevrolet in order to get out alive.

Then again, if you are depending on a 1970's Chevy to save your arse you're probably not gonna make it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dan, a liter is NOT a quart. Are you in Canada?

I travel around the world a lot and if I learned one thing, it is that we need a dictator to just finally convert us into the metric system and just be done with it already. Only the USA, Liberia, and Myanmar are the holdouts.....so if you are vacationing in those other two countries (in between military coups) then you are in luck if you have to wrench a 1970's Chevrolet in order to get out alive.

Then again, if you are depending on a 1970's Chevy to save your arse you're probably not gonna make it.
No, I'm in nigeria. True, a quart is not up to 1 litre, but its almost.that's not the problem here anyway.

The mechs have been filling my auto trans with 4 bottles of the 1quarts container of DW-1 fluid.will it be ok to insist they use only 3 quarts even when they insist its not up to level because the manual says so?

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Dan, it should be 3 quarts and that is it.

4 liters equals 4.2 quarts. And 4 quarts of transmission fluid is equal to 3.8 liters.

So you are saying that each drain was 4.2 quarts ?!?!?

I've been in the middle of the Angolan civil war back in the 1990s and I learned something- lots of used cars from America have parts swapped out. I am wondering if the dipstick in your car's transmission is the original Honda one, or someone just put another car's dipstick on it. I've been to Gabon and South Africa where I saw container ships unloading used cars from Baltimore, USA. Lots of parts swapping going on back then.

But again, just use 3 quarts of fluid.

1) Can you take a picture of the dipstick and post it?
2) Do you know the history of your car? Was it sold for the American market first? Or was it sold to an Asian country first?

And I apologize for my comments about Liberia and military coups....

·
Registered
4,741 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've done one drain-and-fill so far on the I4 Accord I bought in July (I'm stretching the 3x over a few months), and it took over 3.5 qt of DW-1 on the refill. Mind you, I changed to the Magnefine transmission filter at the same time and drained the transmission while the filter hoses were disconnected, so it's possible that I drained more than would usually come out.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts