Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Accord Ex V6 3.0L V6

On Saturday, this is what happened to me:

3PM - clock started acting wonky, the light would turn off/on by itself, all lights and everything else was fine.

7PM - Went out, car was still OK to start afterwards

10PM - went out again, car was OK to start again afterwards

Midnight - Driving home, pulled an unsafe maneuver, flagged down by cops. Pulled over and turned off engine. After 40 minutes, I was given a bit of a lecture and so I got off with a fortunate warning. I then tried to start the car but it failed all 6-7 times. Lights, heat, radio would work but car would not start. Had to call a friend with jumper cables...he arrived, jump started my car, but we had to leave quickly because we were on a main road and it was dangerous.

I got home safe and turned off the engine, turned it on again just to see if it would work, and it did. I had to go out twice again on Sunday and both times the engine would start normally. Scared of turning on the heat/radio but what choice do I have if I need defoggers??

I tested the battery (engine off) with a digital multimeter and it showed 12.5V . I cranked the engine and the battery went from 12V to 10V but stayed at 14V+ consistent without slowly dropping. From what I read online/Youtube, this is a good sign that the alternator is not dying.

What do U guys think?

Is it the battery or the alternator?

I drove to work today and the engine ran fine once again, clock lights not going wonky and defoggers working.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I would say your battery is failing since the voltage jumps to 14+ when the engine is running, the alternator must be working.
It looks like you are battery shopping already from you other post. I have found Walmart only carries the most popular size batteries (and other things) and drops the ones that dont sell enough volume.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say your battery is failing since the voltage jumps to 14+ when the engine is running, the alternator must be working.
It looks like you are battery shopping already from you other post. I have found Walmart only carries the most popular size batteries (and other things) and drops the ones that dont sell enough volume.
Why is my car seemingly working now?? How did a 60-90 second jump start suddenly charge my battery enough? Since the incident on Sat night I've been able to start the car 5-6 times and the temperatures have been just as cold (-15 to -20C). I'm afraid to drive more than 10KM knowing the car could break down any second but I did once yesterday afternoon... afraid of turning on the lights/radio/defoggers too but what choice do I have?

·
Registered
2 Posts
As a mechanic here is a quick test: Start your car, let it run for a minute. Now disconnect your battery including positive cable ( just dont put any load on it, like radio, heater, lights, etc.). If your car is still running, and you disconnecting your battery didnt affect it, your alternator is good. If your idle changes, the car dies, that means your alternator cannot sustain that engine load on it, and its not producing enough current to keep it running. Get it replaced. Make sure the battery is not leaking from anywhere. If both are good, I suggest checking your alternator bolts, my 98 LX did it to me. Apparently I didnt tighten the bolt good enough. Good luck

·
Bout it, Bout it
738 Posts
I'd go to Auto Zone or AAP and have them test your alternator, starter and battery for free.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went to a mech, he tested my car and everything seemed to be fine. Ive been driving it every day since the incident and the car is still fine. But my radio lights and clock light keep flickering sometimes. And the clock light goes on/off sometimes for 3-4 seconds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts