Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal that a 8gen Coupe at 2000rpm only does 60mph. Im asking this because the 7 gens V6 were doing about 65-70 mph at 2000 rpm. Do the new accords have a different transmission. By the way both cars are AT

·
Low Gear
2,935 Posts
You can't compare apples to oranges. Basically the same trans. But the ratios are different. Different size, different weight, different car.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand that they are very different in terms of size and other factors, but for some odd reason it feels like there should be one more gear. Thats why i am asking if thats normal for the 8gen coupe.

·
Low Gear
2,935 Posts
Auto trans only had 3 spd when I started driving. So boy was I happy with the 4spd auto with OD. So I know how you feel. Even with 5spd auto, at times, it does feel like it would be "perfect" with a 6spd. I only feel that way on the superhwys. I've taken a 6spd 10 Malibu out, and it was "just right."

99% of the time, I (we) drive in city-town, so I don't miss the lack of an extra gear on the Accord.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Is it normal that a 8gen Coupe at 2000rpm only does 60mph. Im asking this because the 7 gens V6 were doing about 65-70 mph at 2000 rpm. Do the new accords have a different transmission. By the way both cars are AT
It appears that 2,000 rpm at 60 mph is correct. According to the spec page in this Motortrend test below, the V6 auto operates at 2,100rpm @60 mph.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...edan_comparison/specs_and_road_test_data.html

According to this I4 auto test below, the Accord's 5th gear moves the car 29.7mph for every 1,000rpm. That means the car should crank 2,020 at 60 mph.
http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezf...lication/2b9b90ffff3f7097761045f403ee0866.pdf

If you add in your fudge factor (speedometer error, tire inflation, tachometer error, mathematical rounding), you can probably trust that 2,000 rpm at 60 mph is pretty accurate. So yes, it seems normal.

With regard to your general question, "Why would Honda gear the new Accord lower than the previous generation Accord," I don't know. If I were to brainstorm, I would consider the fact that because the Gen8, auto, V6 Accord does not have VTEC, it may have significantly less usable low rpm torque. Perhaps Honda wanted to keep the rpm higher to enhance highway throttle response. Even though the slightly higher rpm MAY increase fuel consumption, Honda may have calculated that the VCM will offset that cost. Also, Honda may have calculated that when VCM cuts off those extra cylinders, the engine requires a few more rpm to run well. Just ideas.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It appears that 2,000 rpm at 60 mph is correct. According to the spec page in this Motortrend test below, the V6 auto operates at 2,100rpm @60 mph.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...edan_comparison/specs_and_road_test_data.html

According to this I4 auto test below, the Accord's 5th gear moves the car 29.7mph for every 1,000rpm. That means the car should crank 2,020 at 60 mph.
http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezf...lication/2b9b90ffff3f7097761045f403ee0866.pdf

If you add in your fudge factor (speedometer error, tire inflation, tachometer error, mathematical rounding), you can probably trust that 2,000 rpm at 60 mph is pretty accurate. So yes, it seems normal.

With regard to your general question, "Why would Honda gear the new Accord lower than the previous generation Accord," I don't know. If I were to brainstorm, I would consider the fact that because the Gen8, auto, V6 Accord does not have VTEC, it may have significantly less usable low rpm torque. Perhaps Honda wanted to keep the rpm higher to enhance highway throttle response. Even though the slightly higher rpm MAY increase fuel consumption, Honda may have calculated that the VCM will offset that cost. Also, Honda may have calculated that when VCM cuts off those extra cylinders, the engine requires a few more rpm to run well. Just ideas.

Well thats about the same explanation i had from my friend who works as a technician for honda.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts