Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,682 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Maybe 14.99 with full bolt ons, some very light wheels and drag radials. I think C&D's number already demonstrates a very good launch at ideal conditions. If you are going to that much effort you probably shoulda gotta V6/other car.

·
Fail Zero bcg
536 Posts
well with the ET calculator says it will take 250hp at the flywheel and the car must weigh no more than 3600 with the driver in it to run a 14.99

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Perhaps some lightweight wheels, and a CAI would suffice.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sport 6MT is only 3276 lbs, plus driver. I didn't weigh my wheels but they are pretty heavy. I'd guess you could cut at least 50lbs with a light forged 16" setup.

With really light wheels, and a skinny driver, driven weight can be under 3400lb. That is within reach of 14.9 with pretty much all bolt on N/A mods out now.

When turbo tuning comes out, i'd believe 12 second runs will be common.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone working on a turbo yet? And, what about ECU tuning?

·
Basque Red Fury
1,046 Posts
These are already putting out nearly 180 at the wheels. An intake, free exhaust, and a tune are probably all it will take.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Take out the jack.
Take out the spare tire.
Run the gas down to almost empty.
Run the washer fluid down to empty.
Remove floor mats.
Remove owners manual and glove box items.
Remove rear seat.
Remove Passenger seat.
Run 16" light alloy wheels with light tires.

No problem hitting 14's. Take a picture, put it back together, brag to your friends.

With a Miata that weighs almost exactly 1,000 lbs less than my Accord I really see what a nice thing light weight can be. Imagine how fast an Accord would be if it weighed 400 lbs less. The extra cost for the weight savings would probably be not much more than that for a V-6. Problem is people are used to bragging on horsepower. Harder to brag on your carbon reinforced plastic than just saying I got 20 hp on you.

20 years ago when a Suburban had 200 hp with a 4 speed automatic and weighed 5,500 lbs I had a friend scoff at my 130 hp 2,600 lb 5 speed manual Integra even though I could walk away from him in any kind of race. Too many people think more hp is the only answer to speed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Practicing the launch would be key. It def would take a bunch of runs and some tire pressure adjustments, but i thinks possible. 93 mph is high mph for a 15.3 run.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Intake, rv6 down full down pipe setup with exhaust and all the weight saving advice from Dudley you'll hit high 14's. Is it worth it? No! Haha

I can only hope and dream the new HPD crew comes out with a turbo or supercharger for the 2.4. I would pick one up

·
No PRND
583 Posts
Couple bolt-ons + light rims + good tires (maybe wider) + a good driver... probably so.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Stock, no. CAI would likely only get you 0.1 gain. Removing weight like seats, spare tire/jack, minimal gas, lightweight battery, etc, could definitely get you there.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
There a few formulas out there to estimate ET. This is the one I like best:

ET = ((Weight/WHP)^.3333) x 5.75

• Weight is for the car plus the driver
• Horsepower is wheel horsepower

If you plug in the numbers:

• Weight = 3,456 (3,276lbs. for car and 180 lbs. for driver)
• WHP = 179

The formula states that a 6MT Sport should pull a 15.4 quarter, which very close to what C&D actually recorded. (The formula isn’t perfect. To be candid, I don’t know how it accounts for different gear ratios or better drivers, better traction, etc.)

If we trust this formula, we can manipulate the variables. If we keep the weight at 3,456 pounds, to achieve a 14.99 ET you need 195 WHP (+16 hp). If we keep the WHP at 179, to achieve a 14.99 ET the car would have to weigh 3,176 pounds (-280 lbs).

For any other number-nerds out there, the formula I like best for Trap Speed is:

Trap Speed (MPH) = 248 (WHP/weight)^1/3

If we use the same numbers for weight and WHP, the trap speed should be 92 mph, which again is very close to what C&D recorded.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Maybe 14.99 with full bolt ons, some very light wheels and drag radials. I think C&D's number already demonstrates a very good launch at ideal conditions. If you are going to that much effort you probably shoulda gotta V6/other car.
I doubt engine bolt-ons are really that necessary. I'd say sticky tires on lighter wheels, with a firmer suspension and maybe just a couple gallons of fuel and you'd have a fighting chance... intake wouldn't hurt. most beneficial is putting any power you have to the ground in a useful manner. tires and suspension plays their fair share in that, but of course a LSD would help tremendously.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts