Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Gearhead Girl 🤟
1,585 Posts
Quite frankly, if you're looking to get 500+ HP, I don't think any Honda Accord is the correct build car for that goal.

With the manual transmission, it can handle a couple of smaller mods, though.

· CVtwo
‘21 Sport 2.0T
73 Posts
only your wallet can determine that 500hp number

if you have the cash, anything is possible

· Registered
2,496 Posts
Based on 1.6l F1 motors producing more; the answer is of course yes. It would no longer be recognizable as a honda accord engine, but whatever.

Another question is longevity, and more specifically how many of such engines you have on the shelf.

· Need some LSD...
171 Posts
The ceiling ? Lol that can continuously be elevated depending on how much money you want to spend.

That's gonna be some really expensive torque steer...
Our accords like most Honda's I have worked on have half shafts, and equal length drive shafts which do a great job on mitigating torque steer. I rarely encounter any torque steer on my tuned 2L.

You could even do one better and get an aftermarket LSD using the type r final drive gear. It has been done before.

· Registered
731 Posts
Shouldn't be that hard honestly. The big turbo kits are putting out around 400hp stock internals no problems it seems. Honda itself didn't make any changes to the engine for the CTR. VW upgrades the rods and pistons on the R compared to the normal 2.0t's. So that should tell you something about how they built the engine. If the weak point is something simple like rods, $3k for rods plus install could easily bring you to that, not including a bigger turbo somewhere around the size of a GT3076 or something equivalent.

· port & polish everything
1,989 Posts

These guys got up to 466 WHP which is basically 500+ HP crank. You need FBO big turbo kit and race gas though. They also say at least the 10AT can barely handle it and starts to slip.

· Registered
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T 6M
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

These guys got up to 466 WHP which is basically 500+ HP crank. You need FBO big turbo kit and race gas though. They also say at least the 10AT can barely handle it and starts to slip.
appreciate that, i do have the 6 speed manual so it should handle the power a little better

· Registered
414 Posts
Probably not as hard as you'd think. There are Civics out there with B15s running 600-700HP. The problem you'll have is traction. I also have the 2.0T 6MT. My powertrain is stock because if I even slightly do a fast start, it looses traction and can chirp tires going into 3rd. You go anywhere near 500HP and all you'll have is an open diff one wheel peel machine.

· Registered
440 Posts
Back when Polestar was a separate Volvo tuner company, on their higher stages of tuning/mods for Volvo turbos, they would intentionally limit boost to lower levels in the lowest gears of the automatic transmission. This was for drivability reasons (no need for full power in the lowest gears, with a FWD drive train), as well as for reliability (not over-stressing the automatic transmission). Back then it was only a 5-speed auto, and from memory they limited boost in 1st, and slightly limited it in 2nd, and then allowed full boost in 3rd-5th. This was with a package that included a significantly larger turbo unit than stock, as well as exhaust mods, in addition to "re-chipping".

Even so, they were not going as extreme as the OP is talking about. From memory, they were getting maybe 350 hp, versus 230 or so from the stock turbo (back then, it was a 2.5 liter inline-5). With just re-chipping, and no hardware changes, they were probably getting about 300 hp, as the stock programming was very conservative in terms of boost.

Back then, even though Polestar was still a separate company, their mods were somewhat supported/sanctioned by Volvo, and even with the large turbo and other hardware mods, I think Volvo kept warranty support on the rest of the drive-train. Which is probably why Polestar limited boost and power in the lower gears.....

As a side comment, Volvo has stopped making their 2.5 liter 5-cylinder turbo, which used to be called the T5. Nowadays, the T5 name is applied to a 2.0 liter 4-cylinder turbo, making in the neighborhood of 250 hp or so. The T6 name, which USED to be an actual inline-6 turbo (3.0 liter, and transverse mounted - it barely fit...) is now used to denote the same 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine as the T5, but in this case it has both a turbo AND a belt-driven supercharger, and provides 330 or so HP. I think the logic behind this is (probably) that they use a somewhat larger turbo than on the T5, but since it also has worse lag, they use the supercharger to get more instant boost.

· Registered
731 Posts
Back when Polestar was a separate Volvo tuner company, on their higher stages of tuning/mods for Volvo turbos, they would intentionally limit boost to lower levels in the lowest gears of the automatic transmission. This was for drivability reasons (no need for full power in the lowest gears, with a FWD drive train), as well as for reliability (not over-stressing the automatic transmission). Back then it was only a 5-speed auto, and from memory they limited boost in 1st, and slightly limited it in 2nd, and then allowed full boost in 3rd-5th. This was with a package that included a significantly larger turbo unit than stock, as well as exhaust mods, in addition to "re-chipping".

Even so, they were not going as extreme as the OP is talking about. From memory, they were getting maybe 350 hp, versus 230 or so from the stock turbo (back then, it was a 2.5 liter inline-5). With just re-chipping, and no hardware changes, they were probably getting about 300 hp, as the stock programming was very conservative in terms of boost.

Back then, even though Polestar was still a separate company, their mods were somewhat supported/sanctioned by Volvo, and even with the large turbo and other hardware mods, I think Volvo kept warranty support on the rest of the drive-train. Which is probably why Polestar limited boost and power in the lower gears.....

As a side comment, Volvo has stopped making their 2.5 liter 5-cylinder turbo, which used to be called the T5. Nowadays, the T5 name is applied to a 2.0 liter 4-cylinder turbo, making in the neighborhood of 250 hp or so. The T6 name, which USED to be an actual inline-6 turbo (3.0 liter, and transverse mounted - it barely fit...) is now used to denote the same 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine as the T5, but in this case it has both a turbo AND a belt-driven supercharger, and provides 330 or so HP. I think the logic behind this is (probably) that they use a somewhat larger turbo than on the T5, but since it also has worse lag, they use the supercharger to get more instant boost.
Yup and they aren't the only tuner that limits torque in lower gears to maintain durability/reliability of engine and transmission parts. VW also makes what is called a twincharger setup in a 1.4l. Yes your thinking of correct, sc for down low power turbo for up top. Basically what happening now is that manufacturers are trying to make as much horsepower with the least amount of displacement possible. The lower the engine displacement the less fuel it's using because most of the times the engine's running at stoic when you're cruising anyways. So what you're starting to also see are compression ratios raising, cylinder deactivation, etc. Manufacturers are in a race to lower CO2 emissions as quickly as possible because new regulations have mandated the phasing out of fossil fuel engines by 2030 in some countries.

· Turbo lag
3,039 Posts
K24 with a Garrett turbo. Results are 21 minutes into the video.
A K24 in a Porsche?! That's probably a crime in Stuttgart.

That number is a pretty typical number for a K24 running on low-ish boost.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.