Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that have wondered about the validity of Seafoam Cleaner.

I found this great video that really shows what it does. He does before and after shots with a video camera that he puts into the heads and actually shows you differences. Very informative video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6UeJXkzDW8

·
Fear The Turtle!
2,166 Posts
Interesting. Finally some conclusive results, but how much of a difference did it really make? And honestly I'm more worried about valves and proper seating because of carbon buildup than the pistons, I'd be interested to see them more.

Someone should take something easy to work on and do a cylinder head before and after, like an old small block chevy or ford where you can pull the cylinder head in less than an hour.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. Finally some conclusive results, but how much of a difference did it really make? And honestly I'm more worried about valves and proper seating because of carbon buildup than the pistons, I'd be interested to see them more.

Someone should take something easy to work on and do a cylinder head before and after, like an old small block chevy or ford where you can pull the cylinder head in less than an hour.
Here's one he does on a small carb lawn mower -- https://youtu.be/WdT4DPFXIkM

·
I love plastidip
258 Posts
I've used it before, and I think I read this somewhere else about this exact video.

I want to see what it looks like before sea foam and then have him flog it like that without sea foam. I am just curious how much carbon deposit could've been removed from ripping on it.

Someone needs to get on that.

·
Elvira - the car
3,292 Posts
I've used it before, and I think I read this somewhere else about this exact video.

I want to see what it looks like before sea foam and then have him flog it like that without sea foam. I am just curious how much carbon deposit could've been removed from ripping on it.

Someone needs to get on that.
Seafoamed every engine ever owned. Following the seafoam the engine ran quieter. Placebo? Maybe.

But an "eye-talian" tune-up is a visceral experience that can't be beat.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Please keep in mind that the carbon "buildup" on the pistons was very minimal. As for the condition of the piston tops, those were in excellent condition.

Also, carbon buildup on piston heads can actually increase compression and "add" more horsepower.

If you have been around a large number of disassembled Honda motors, they are wayyyy "cleaner" than most people think....especially to those who have not seen an open motor.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,388 Posts
I still have questions about this. Do our engines need this? If they do, what is this stuff doing to the O2 sensors and CAT converters? I still have my original sensors and converters, and seeing the prices of OEM converters doesn't make me want to buy one any time soon.

·
Elvira - the car
3,292 Posts
I still have questions about this. Do our engines need this? If they do, what is this stuff doing to the O2 sensors and CAT converters? I still have my original sensors and converters, and seeing the prices of OEM converters doesn't make me want to buy one any time soon.
Depends on how one drives the car. Short trips, never getting the engine "hot" allows the moisture to condense in the engine on shutdown. Long drives getting the engine up to good temperature to burn off moisture you won't get the same condensation. That condensation contains carbon (duh! really?), varnishes from the fuel, unburnt additives, oil (rings are not hermetically sealed and "leak" especially on initial start-up) and other junk.

Spirited driving also "knocks" the possible presence of carbon off when it is still minuscule. Allow the carbon to build up and then you start to shove that junk through the cat.

That cat gets really hot and hot enough to burn the thin oil in the Seafoam almost immediately. Another reason to follow directions since you should do the injection after the engine, and therefore the cat, is at operating temperatures.

Think of the scenario of the engine oil, even the thin 0W-20 stuff, that gets past the valves into the exhaust. Even an engine visibly burning that oil, blue smoker, will pass emissions most all the time (unless there is another problem). Personally I would think you'd need to be burning oil at some ungodly rate of a quart per 500 miles to damage O2 or cats. No evidence of that just a gut feeling. So a 15 minute dribble/dump of ultrathin Seafoam oil shouldn't be that detrimental to the cat or O2.

So the most effective cleaning IMHO would be at the end when the soak time on the pistons softens the carbon. I really can't fathom the 1/3 initial dribble that is called for in the procedure. That goes directly past the intake valves so it can't be doing that much as far as a soak for the valve seating. That's where I suggest an Italian tune-up to physically knock that carbon off the seats if it was left too long without some sort of cleaner. Use of the recommended top tier gas should keep those valves nice and clean anyway. You're cleaning them AS you drive on a multiport system, not any in the DI engines. Maybe the DI needs this Seafoam more for the intake problems they have, than multiports? :dunno:

I like Rendog's thinking since the carbon buildup makes the piston chamber smaller thus increasing the compression. Higher compression engines also clean better (better burn), so it could be a self limiting process in the end anyway. The 6 J35Y is 10.5:1 fairly high with the DI at 11:1.

Is this your take on it Rendog?

·
Super Moderator
5,998 Posts
I have done seafoam 3 times through intake manifold vacuum hoses, and I'm still on the original catalytic converters and O2 sensors. There you go, I am living proof.

·
03-SSM-AV6-6MT
1,018 Posts
after seeing my valves when I installed my 3.7IM I don't add anything. just continued to use Shell v-power.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all!

I have been a reader to this forum since I got my 2015 Honda Accord Sport back in November of 2014 and this is one of my first time actually posting and asking a question since I made an account in Aug 2017.

Is it safe to use Seafoam Top Engine Cleaner?

I cleaned out my MAF and Intake about a couple months ago and I had a hard time getting the car to start and getting running correctly. Albeit, I probably over did the cleaning solutions.

My follow up question to this is if I will have a similarly difficult time trying to get my car started and running properly, without having the car throw the check engine light code...

Any tips and or tricks on doing this better?

Thank you,

carczar4

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
This thread is over 3 yrs. old, my suggestion though would be to pay to have a professional do it (they meter it in), the AC Delco works best or go to Walmart & have them do an injection cleaning for $20, they were using a Gumout commercial product comparable to off the shelf Seafoam. Welcome to DA.

·
Super Moderator
5,998 Posts
What did you do to clean the intake plenum?! You mentioned MAF sensor so this is a 4 cylinder? If you didn't change out the throttle body and intake manifold gaskets then you might be experiencing a vacuum leak. Please describe the symptoms instead of just saying "car isn't running properly."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts