Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals, I'm currently in the market for a vehicle around $6500. These last few days I've been interested in the 7th gen lately. I went and took a 99 Mustang GT out for a test drive and then tested out an 04 6 speed and absolutely fell in LOVE with it! The only problem is it was at sketchy dealership and it had some pretty crappy work done.. So I'm not even going to bother with that one.

That being said I wanted to see if I could get some insight from those of you who drive them everyday. I used to have a 99 v6 accord, so I have some experience with them, but not with anything new.

I was looking at this one:http://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/4315320916.html

the car has 250k on everything but the motor. The guy said somehow the radiator got a hole in it and his wife drove it while hot. He said he did typical maintenance replacing shocks, brakes, and synthetic oil changes. Always used premium gas. I've yet to go look at it as its 3 hours away, but is this something I should go for or stay away from with that many miles? The rebuilt engine has 26k on it and he claims to of had it looked over by a Honda dealership.

I was also looking at this: http://www.leesautocenter.com/2003_Honda_Accord_Clayton_NC_215010961.veh

I like everything about this one except it has the 4 cylinder. I have yet to drive it so i was wondering if those of you who have them regret it or if it suits your needs just fine.

Id appreciate any info y'all could give me, especially on the first one. I don't plan on being a one post wonder, I'm really hoping to get my hands on one of these 7th gens!

Thanks,
Josh.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I wouldn't buy a rebuilt engine unless I know exactly who did the work, what if it was done on someone's backyard. There are so many 7th gens out there to take this risk. If the work was done at a reputable shop and there's proof of that then its acceptable. It's a fully loaded EX-L so.. if it checks then it would be a good deal.

·
I <3 My Honda
3,243 Posts
Keep searching...I spent months before I found mine...the right car at the right price is out there waiting for you, you just need to find her :nod:

·
Registered
385 Posts
if they have paperwork, go for it. these cars are in it for the long haul with the correct maintnence. If where you live is anything like denver colorado, there are THOUSANDS of 7th gens. I literally.. yes literally see about 50 different 7th gens driving to work everyday

·
2006 I4 MT
1,688 Posts
I'd pass. The guy burned a 4 cyl motor already before 250k miles? Thats pretty rare around here. I think most 7th gen Accords on this site die of accidents and not burned out motors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The 4 cylinder motor in 7th gen Accords has the advantage of a timing chain which doesn't require expensive replacement. (The V6 has a belt).

With regular oil changes and reasonable care these motors will last a very long time. If a rebuild has been needed I would shy away and look for a car with a service record you can trust.

The 4 cylinder has decent performance and can get 35 mpg highway at speeds up to 70 mph.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm not far away (Knoxville TN) and I got an 04 with 130k miles for $1000 more three months ago. I wouldn't pay that much for 120k MORE miles. Sure, engine is rebuilt (assuming it's done properly), but the rest of the car and all the components aren't.

Better is out there, with enough searching you'll probably find that exact price, too. Sounds like the ad is selling his features...not the actual value of his car.

That's my $.02

·
Registered
222 Posts
The second coupe is better :thmsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the responses!! After taking a step back and thinking about it, it is pretty crazy to even think of going after it.

There are so many 7th gens out there to take this risk.
f where you live is anything like denver colorado, there are THOUSANDS of 7th gens. I literally.. yes literally see about 50 different 7th gens driving to work everyday
Keep searching...I spent months before I found mine...the right car at the right price is out there waiting for you, you just need to find her :nod:
There are a lot of them out there, but I'm too picky and am trying to get a car I can't afford without a loan haha. I'm looking for a V6 coupe with the 6 speed transmission for under $7k. Theres only 4 within my area, and they all have some big issue with them haha (the v6's that is)

The 4 cylinder motor in 7th gen Accords has the advantage of a timing chain which doesn't require expensive replacement. (The V6 has a belt).

With regular oil changes and reasonable care these motors will last a very long time. If a rebuild has been needed I would shy away and look for a car with a service record you can trust.

The 4 cylinder has decent performance and can get 35 mpg highway at speeds up to 70 mph.
Yeah, with me being in college better mpgs are certainly a plus. But I'm used to having many more horses under the hood. So I'm trying to decide if I'd want to sacrifice the horsepower haha.

I did find one in my price range, however it has a salvaged title.

Apparently the car was hit in the passenger door. The lady bought it from a dealership and she overpaid for it. She said she can't go any lower on it as she's only asking payoff. For that many miles (156k) and the salvage title I wouldn't want to pay near $7200

·
Roll Tide!
6,794 Posts
It is absolutely stupid to buy this car. I'm not saying hondas aren't more reliable than just about anything at 60K (they are), it's just that there are so many OTHER Accords out there with many-many less miles. The only way I'd pick up a used car with this many miles is if it was a rare car (think 60's muscle car or earlier) or I got it from an immediate family member that I trusted and got it on the CHEAP. But this car? STUPID.

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
"No" on the salvage title car- you are "new" and "hope" is not an effective assessment/evaluation tool.

Keep looking....

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
838 Posts
When I was looking for accords, I was dead set on a V6, but after driving a 4cyl, I was actually leaning away from a 6.

I had to look high and low for my 4cyl/5MT in the Raleigh area. Currently looking for another for my girlfriend to drive.

FWIW, I paid $8k for my car in late 2010. $1k more than an identical auto trans and I'm ecstatic that I went with the manual. It had 105k on it then and is going to roll over 180k this week.

·
838 Posts
Actually I just found one that was just posted, so Im going to try and take a look at it tuesday. Does it look modded out of the wazoo or is it some special edition?

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...d=56072159&searchRadius=0&listingId=359172396

I assume the wheels were probably plastidipped and thats an aftermarket bumper? Taillights look far from all the others I've seen.
Doesn't look 'bad' to me. Not a fan of those aftermarket rims or the tail lights.

BTW, where are you going to school? I just graduated from NCSU.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Doesn't look 'bad' to me. Not a fan of those aftermarket rims or the tail lights.

BTW, where are you going to school? I just graduated from NCSU.
Yeah, I'm still debating between the v6 and 4 cylinder, guess i need to drive a 4 banger before i dis em too much haha.

The tail lights I'm not huge on, but the wheels i could deal with.

Currently Im at Wake Tech finishing up my transfer AA. After that I plan on going to either NC State or UF, not sure which one haha

·
Registered
40 Posts
Why not get a gen 8 si or another accord v6 =D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Why not get a gen 8 si or another accord v6 =D
Well, I love the 8th ten accords, but those are definitely out of my price range haha

I used to have a 2000 civic Si, the civics are great and all but I'm driving 50 miles a day right now and would rather have a little nicer ride.

·
838 Posts
Go with the 4cyl accord. More fuel mileage and plenty of power unless you haul 3 of your friends around a lot. I used my 4cyl to tow my KTM on a trailer all around the Rockies this past summer, then out to Moab, UT and it did fine even up to 80mph on the interstates.

I was putting 25,000 miles/year on my accord in college running around the state every weekend.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Go with the 4cyl accord. More fuel mileage and plenty of power unless you haul 3 of your friends around a lot. I used my 4cyl to tow my KTM on a trailer all around the Rockies this past summer, then out to Moab, UT and it did fine even up to 80mph on the interstates.

I was putting 25,000 miles/year on my accord in college running around the state every weekend.
Wow, I thought I was racking up the miles! I just sold my 08 z71 silverado. Im currently driving almost 400 miles a week. Let me tell you, putting gas in that was awful!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts