Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
  1. I took these pic on my 2006 i4 upper control arm(both side). Are these boot leaking grease?I have no complaints about suspension noise or anything. But car handling like driving boat on ocean tho.

1. IMG_20200516_171428.jpg
    IMG_20200516_171428.jpg
    IMG_20200516_171358.jpg

·
Registered
250 Posts
Jack up the car and wiggle the wheel side to side and up and down. If there isn't any play, then they're probably fine

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Pilot without a plane
252 Posts
Low miles but also 14 yrs old. Your struts may be getting kinda tired at this age. If it feels spongy when you drive, it may be those instead.

If you get the front of the car on jackstands and grab the wheels at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions like @ashirm98 said, you can check for play in the tie rod ends. Those having play will allow your front end to wander.

You could also just get an inspection done somewhere to determine what is worn out. Another way to accomplish this is to take your car in for an alignment. If parts are bad, they will tell you they can't do the alignment because your ball joints or whatever else are bad.

I'm refreshing my suspension now too. Already have new struts all around and new control arms with ball joints in the rear. Trying to find the time for my tie rod ends...

·
Registered
157 Posts
To check the struts, push down hard on each corner. If the car rebounds more than one and a half times then you should get them checked and possibly replaced.

Only works to gauge if the shocks themselves are completely shot. Also if they bounce by doing this the shocks are really bad.... Other parts of the strut itself could be failing; typically noise produced when driving over uneven road surfaces.

The rubber is all I see bad with a gash in it. If no play in joint. Re grease and seal the opening with like a permatex sealant.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I just had one wear out on my car. I first noticed when the car started making an unusual clunk from the front right corner. Then once I had the car jacked up to check, the play in the ballpoint was immediately noticeable. Shake the wheel at 12 and 6, not 3 and 9.

If yours is leaking greasy, maybe it's only a matter of time now until it wears out. Keep an eye and ear out for it in the future.

·
8th Gen Believer
3,895 Posts
Original struts are shot right around 90k miles. That's been my experience with 2 Accords.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I checked 12/6 and 3/9 location , wheel has no major play. I check space between my tire and fender. Right side fits 4 finger, but left side fits like 3 finger. Does it mean my left strut is bad??
I don't wanna replace unnecessary part but also wanna replace all bad parts together while I'm there.

·
Pilot without a plane
252 Posts
I just installed 4 new struts. I measured from the ground this time like a normal person.

Front 28"

Rear 28.5"

I also measured from the center of the rim to the fender lip like I did before to see how much of a difference the new struts made. It looks like my old ones sagged by a little less than a half inch.
This is the stock ride height on my 03 coupe. You can compare your measurements to mine to see how much your springs have sagged.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is the stock ride height on my 03 coupe. You can compare your measurements to mine to see how much your springs have sagged.
Thank for the reference. I checked left front side its 27" while right front is 28", both rear are 27".

I guess I'm due for a strut?

·
Pilot without a plane
252 Posts
You're welcome. It's probably about time. Any of your struts leaking like mine were?

This is why I'm liking the Quick Struts that come with the springs too. Easy to install with no spring compressor reqd and you have fresh springs. With the usage my car gets, the springs are pretty tired by the time the struts need replaced.

As long as you can afford it, I would replace all 4, but at least do both fronts since one side is definitely sagging.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i had a snapped sway bar end link in the front and never realized it. i thought the car just kinda nose-dove around on corner entry cause its a big heavy chonker. once i fixed that, night and day. apparently its fairly common of an occurrence

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You're welcome. It's probably about time. Any of your struts leaking like mine were?

This is why I'm liking the Quick Struts that come with the springs too. Easy to install with no spring compressor reqd and you have fresh springs. With the usage my car gets, the springs are pretty tired by the time the struts need replaced.

As long as you can afford it, I would replace all 4, but at least do both fronts since one side is definitely sagging.
I didn't noticed any leaking. Now I remember driver side has been in a minor collision before, prob that's why it's failing earlier.
Yeah, I ordered new complete struts, it will save me bunch time.

Yining

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank for the reference. I checked left front side its 27" while right front is 28", both rear are 27".

I guess I'm due for a strut?
So I just finished replace struts. Now left side is at 27.5" still little Lower than the right side. Should I wait little longer for suspension to be set?

·
Pilot without a plane
252 Posts
Did you drive it or just lower it off the jackstands and measure?

Also make sure your strut is fully seated into the pinch fork on all struts. There's that notch on the strut that sits in the gap on the fork.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did you drive it or just lower it off the jackstands and measure?

Also make sure your strut is fully seated into the pinch fork on all struts. There's that notch on the strut that sits in the gap on the fork.
I took a 10mins test drive. I did put strut all the way into pinch fork, used hammer tap lower part of fork to be sure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok. Wonder if it's something like @street_ruler said?
I checked most part while I'm there. Stabilizer link seems ok,upper control arm looks fine no play, lower control arm main bushing is little cracked, but no play when twisting wheel at 3/9 clock. I hope it's not the lower control arms cause ride height lower.

Will check tire pressure tomorrow morning, hope it's not sth basic like Low tire pressure. 😶

1 - 20 of 23 Posts