Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I am about to buy a 2013 EX with push button start.
I am afraid that this is just another added thing that can go wrong and incur expensive repairs, as it is based on electronics and computer.

Do I have reason to be concerned vs. the traditional key?

Thank you

·
Dsclmr:DIY @ YourOwnRisks
1,200 Posts
I believe the push start button is pretty reliable. Most of the time people had problem with starting was not really the problem of the button itself, but it could be the battery, the starter, alternator failure, key transponder, etc.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Push button is not any less reliable than a mechanical key&lock combo but that is beside the point. Cheap cars have all switched to button. If you are good with your left hand, you can buy a Porsche.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,412 Posts
I haven't heard of any starting issues, that weren't caused by some other issue (battery, starter, etc.), so they must be pretty reliable.

·
Cruising in Montana
3,426 Posts
Not related to reliability is the security and safety of push-button start in general. It may be possible to leave the car running in an enclosed garage and not know it. Cars with push-button start have actually killed people in this manner due to carbon monoxide.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Not related to reliability is the security and safety of push-button start in general. It may be possible to leave the car running in an enclosed garage and not know it. Cars with push-button start have actually killed people in this manner due to carbon monoxide.
That phenomenon did not begin with push to start card, that has been on ongoing issue since cars where parked in living spaces. The difference now is cars are much more quiet when they run compared to older cars. While it is possible to get out of the car with the car running and take the keys with you there is a very loud warning beeper when you do. Also, newer cars with catalytic converters produce far less CO than cars before Catalytic converters. In the 70's in less than 30 minutes of running in an enclosed garage would kill you. Today it takes much longer run times. 95% of CO deaths are due to heaters of some kind. Statistics are hard to come by somewhere between 200 - 500 a year die by CO.

The reliability should be higher than a traditional key. With a traditional key you have lots of wear issues, keys wear out, switches wear out, lock mechanisms wear out too. In a push button, the button on the dash is just a momentary contact switch.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Doritos Spinner
3,826 Posts
The reliability should be higher than a traditional key. With a traditional key you have lots of wear issues, keys wear out, switches wear out, lock mechanisms wear out too. In a push button, the button on the dash is just a momentary contact switch.
This exactly.

Now people are trying to convince me a button is more reliable than a key and lock?

Look at electronic buttons on gaming consoles and computer keyboards. Those get much, much harsher use than a button in a car, and they last many years. The exact mechanism can differ, but the fundamental idea is the same.

A key wears out as it makes contact and thus, wear out every time it enters the lock. Plus, unless you drive a 1999 Corolla, these locks also have electronic components to read the chip inside your key so the fuel supply system can engage, so it has electronic bits as well.

I personally love keyless entry and miss it on the RX-8. Yesterday I did something really stupid, I accidentally tossed the key in the trunk with my grocery without unlocking the car first. Had to call a taxi and grab the spare key at home. If the car has keyless entry? I just press a switch on the trunk and presto, I don't have to pay $50+ for a simple mistake like that.

Sent from GM1917. Technology!

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,412 Posts
My 2016 EX will not lock, the trunk or the door, if the fob is inside.

·
Doritos Spinner
3,826 Posts
My 2016 EX will not lock, the trunk or the door, if the fob is inside.
My dilemma was that I just unlocked the trunk without unlocking the doors first, so when I closed the trunk, there was no way to open it.

Either way I say go for a keyless entry. Now if you are worried about that thing where people magnify your keyless signal to steal your car, wrap some tin foil around the key or buy a key pouch that can block signals, and sleep well at night.

Sent from GM1917. Technology!

·
Registered
122 Posts
If you've ever broken a key off in the ignition or door lock in sub zero temperatures, you'll really appreciate never having to ever even take the key out of your pocket. My first car, a pathetic little Kia Spectra, has given me a good amount of perspective on what is "truly" important in life.... or at least in personal transportation.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Remember when some brands had problems with traditional ignition locks when people would have every key they owned in the world hanging on their key ring. Can't happen with push button.

·
Honda Enthusiast
1,725 Posts
If you've ever broken a key off in the ignition or door lock in sub zero temperatures, you'll really appreciate never having to ever even take the key out of your pocket. My first car, a pathetic little Kia Spectra, has given me a good amount of perspective on what is "truly" important in life.... or at least in personal transportation.
I have never broken off a key nor do I know anyone that has done so, and I have had keys that were so worn they wouldn’t operate the ignition, but still weren’t close to breaking. Don’t turn with 100 ft/lbs of torque.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have never broken off a key nor do I know anyone that has done so, and I have had keys that were so worn they wouldn’t operate the ignition, but still weren’t close to breaking. Don’t turn with 100 ft/lbs of torque.
Normal turning force broke the key. The key material was soft and the door lock was frozen solid. Fortunately it didn't actually break off completely, just twisted 90 degrees. Again, Kia.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts