Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been in the market and the sport is the best car in my price range, but is it as fun as people claim?

I am coming from a chevy blazer with a v6 that gets 190 hp. solid vehicle but the gas milage is bothering me and its almost 14 years old.

also, the canadian version of the sport appears to have more features (mirror turn signals). with that said, will OEM turn signals that appear on ex and above be able to be installed on a sport? (odd request, but if i can install some of the lost features cheaper than spending extra for an ex and above, ill do that.

again, how fun is this car if you are coming from a v6 non sports car? is it worth the $$$ saving that you get with an i4. and no, i wont be buying a manual transmission, just not my thing.

thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i've been in the market and the sport is the best car in my price range, but is it as fun as people claim?

I am coming from a chevy blazer with a v6 that gets 190 hp. solid vehicle but the gas milage is bothering me and its almost 14 years old.

also, the canadian version of the sport appears to have more features (mirror turn signals). with that said, will OEM turn signals that appear on ex and above be able to be installed on a sport? (odd request, but if i can install some of the lost features cheaper than spending extra for an ex and above, ill do that.

again, how fun is this car if you are coming from a v6 non sports car? is it worth the $$$ saving that you get with an i4. and no, i wont be buying a manual transmission, just not my thing.

thanks.
If sporty means you want fast get the v6, if sporty means you want something that has the ability to go a little faster than the average mid range sedan then get the I4

·
Banned
5,775 Posts
I have lots of fun with my CVT Accord.

My previous car was a 6MT 350Z Track with lots of upgrades.

Everyone has a different definition of fun though.

·
Registered
235 Posts
lol, Sport's I4 is 189 hp - funny it's what a V6 was 14 yrs ago. And 29 mpg combined is 80% more fuel efficient than 16 mpg that fueleconomy.gov gives a '99 Blazer automatic.

Sport is almost entirely aesthetics, only 4 more hp than regular I4. Its 18" wheels are very responsive when handling, trade-off is rougher overall ride than 17" of other trims (note V6 coupe also has Sport's 18" rims, sedan is 17").

Rest of the Sport is decklid spoiler, improved cloth seats, leather-wrapped steering, front grill, etc...if you're looking for significant gains in performance, look V6. But it'll cost you ~$7k more. I had the budget but still chose Sport, simply couldn't justify that leap in price.

Sport is most bang for your buck of any trim, imo. Love my car, btw. :) Came from '04 turbo-charged Passat, only thing I miss is turning radius.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The SPORT model is more of a marketing thing - it's not really a sports car. It certainly *looks* more sporty than the other trim levels but it's on the surface.

That said - coming from a 14 year old Blazer it will be 100% more fun to drive!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies, i guess what i am asking is that this car doesn't feel to laggy and slow. i know the v6 would be the better choice but it is out of my price range.

i am aiming towards better fuel efficiency this time around but still want SOME power, i don't need a speed machine (never had one, so i am going off of my blazer's 190 hp which was enough for me).

and again, if anyone has info on installing turn signal mirrors like the ex and above have, let me know. found one thread and nothing was answered.

thanks.

·
Registered
514 Posts
thanks for the replies, i guess what i am asking is that this car doesn't feel to laggy and slow. i know the v6 would be the better choice but it is out of my price range.

i am aiming towards better fuel efficiency this time around but still want SOME power, i don't need a speed machine (never had one, so i am going off of my blazer's 190 hp which was enough for me).

and again, if anyone has info on installing turn signal mirrors like the ex and above have, let me know. found one thread and nothing was answered.

thanks.
The Sport is a fun all around car. It's mild mannered for every day driving. When you use the paddle shifters to keep the engine in the power band, it is surprisingly quick. Quickness isn't about just HP ratings anymore. The CVT is much more efficient at transferring power than a traditional auto tranny. Plus the gearing makes it get up and go pretty good.
As far as the mirror upgrade, I talked to a Honda tech about it because I wanted to install the EX mirrors due to them being heated. He said you would have to wire them in, as the EX mirror wiring is not present on a Sport. He said its a big job. You'd have to tie them in with the rear defroster and blinker circuit.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes, the sport CVT is pretty fun for a mid-sized sedan. Just some of the cars this family man has had over the past few decades ... 72 grand prix, 68 impala covertible, 74 monte carlo, TR6 (for a few days till I crashed it) (I'll leave out the minivan phase) then a bunch of accords and civics and throw in a mitzu spider convertable. so I'm not talking real sports cars, but the 2013 accord sport is a fantastic ride. And if you don't want to dump 40-50K on a BMW, at 24K its as good as it gets. I remember how the tr-6 took turns with the big wheels at 70, and this sport handles those turns almost as good. also, the 0-60 ****s (7.5) in the CVT, but hitting the gas from 20 MPH or so it's like a rocket ship. I think that's where the CVT excells because it doesn't downshift. Also going up hills also fantastic for the same reason. The CVT doesnt lose momentum once it's moving and all the professional ratings say this is one of the best CVT's on the market. Good advice from those above ... it's not a sports car, it's not going to win a race off the line, but you wont be dissappointed for the price and style.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Like I said, it's 189 hp. Coming from 190 hp you won't notice a thing and it'll handle so much better than a Blazer.

I'd be more concerned about adapting to the CVT. It feels...different. But is great once you're used to it (imo).

Don't care about turn signal mirrors, can't help you there. Sounds like a huge wiring PITA though.

also, the 0-60 ****s (7.5) in the CVT, but hitting the gas from 20 MPH or so it's like a rocket ship. I think that's where the CVT excells because it doesn't downshift.

... it's not a sports car, it's not going to win a race off the line, but you wont be dissappointed for the price and style.
Nailed it.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
One thing is for sure, the Accord Sport will certainly be more fun to drive than your Blazer. With ECON mode on, the i4/CVT is fairly sluggish, but with ECON off and using paddle shifters, it's actually petty responsive, but MPG will suffer if you do it all the time. The Sport may even feel more powerful than the Blazer. Sounds like an extended test drive would answer a lot of your questions.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I upgraded from a 1998 Honda Civic LX Sedan and my 2013 Accord Sport is perfect. Being 25 yrs old, it is more than adequate in horsepower and glad I picked the 4cyl engine. If I need to go a tad faster I simply use "Sport" mode and use the paddle shifters. This car is quick for everyday driving and all my passengers are surprised that it's a 4cyl since it hauls similar to their V6 vehicles.

·
Registered
317 Posts
It's not fast but it's pretty fun. You'll get passed by a lot of cars.. if you care about that kind of stuff

·
Registered
17 Posts

thanks.

I think you'll be very pleased with the Accord, Sport or not. I just recently got rid of an older Jeep GC(1996) with a V8. I did get the Sport and have been blown away by the refinement of the vehicle as a whole and the power of the 4cyl. It's got plenty of power for my needs and the gas mileage compared to my V8 AWD SUV is obviously a huge difference. It is fun to drive, even with the CVT, and has nice acceleration for what it is. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I would drive both models and see which one you like, I was a hair away from getting the v6 but ended up going with the sport. In a way I regret going with the v6, you can always make the v6 look like the sport but swapping in a v6 into the sport will be almost impossible for the next 2-3 years haha. None the less I'm very satisfied with my Sport. Interior is great, exterior is money, and it handles pretty well for a family sedan

·
Registered
125 Posts
Save yourself $7k & get the Sport. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
New 2014 Sport CVT owner here and I think I can help answer your question.

I came from a 200hp V6 sedan to the Accord Sport with "just" 189hp and let me tell you right off that this car is MUCH faster than my V6.

The acceleration at low revs is nothing short of astounding, if I punch it at 50mph to get round a slower driver on the freeway (as I would have done in the V6) I find myself backing off the throttle because it's too much.

In Sport mode the car feels even faster, combined with the sharper steering and really good brakes this car does feel sporty. Simply put it's a fast car for a 4 cylinder sedan, faster than anything I have driven before in the same category.

The only downside is the rather sad noise the engine makes when pushed, but when did 4 cylinders ever sound good.

I recommend it without a second thought, and while I'm sure the V6 is amazing I just couldn't justify the extra $7,000 and quite honestly I think the Sport CVT is the pick of the entire range.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts