Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was washing the car for the first time (a brand new 2014 Accord Sport), and I noticed that the undercoating is already coming off on the front passenger side wheel well. I took the pictures below that show the light gray material showing through. Upon closer inspection, I gently brushed the pads of my fingers across the surface and the thin black coating easily rolled off onto my finger tips. I then inspected the other wheel wells and noticed that the undercoating is quite soft and fragile. I went back later, after the car had completely dried, and the undercoating still felt soft. I learned I have to be very careful when washing in these areas. Have any of you experienced something similar?

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
That's just rubber they sprayed up in there for noise dampening (or something). Don't think the black paint adheres to it very well, but it doesn't really matter much.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I'll let you know when I can see my wheel wells again (winter :thumbsdow)

Seriously though, this has happened on my 2008 CRV. If it bothers you, you can ask the dealership to respray it (and hope they don't get overspray on your paint), or clean it up real good with the wheel off and spray some undercoating on yourself and properly cover all painted areas in the neighborhood. Most autoparts stores sell aerosol cans for $5-15.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Something does not look right there. My factory coating is thick and wrinkled, like the stuff on the rocker panels that is painted over. Your looks like the aftermarket stuff that comes in a rattle can.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I need to figure out what product is best to apply to that area for durability. Someone on another forum mentioned Plasti Dip.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
I need to figure out what product is best to apply to that area for durability. Someone on another forum mentioned Plasti Dip.
Do not use plasti-dip for durability. Go to Advance or Wal-Mart and get the 3M brand undercoating in a can. Follow the directions to the letter and it will be :thmsup::yes:.

Do not use plasti-dip or spray on bed liner.

I personally would show the dealer first. Can you get better pics of it, it does not look like my factory job in my pics.

Jay

·
Registered
66 Posts
this happen to me 2nd time I washed 2012 Si. Funny I always check the Accord everytime i wash it checking to see if it came off but so far so good.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Do not use plasti-dip for durability. Go to Advance or Wal-Mart and get the 3M brand undercoating in a can. Follow the directions to the letter and it will be :thmsup::yes:.

Do not use plasti-dip or spray on bed liner.

I personally would show the dealer first. Can you get better pics of it, it does not look like my factory job in my pics.

Jay
Jay is right. I used the 3M on my Jeep Wrangler. It works very well and looks really good. it never came off.

I looked at me new Accord this morning as I was washing it. It is not doing this at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts