Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a warning prompt/light that warns of low brake pads/rotors?

·
8th Gen Believer
3,949 Posts
No. There's no such warning on any car I'm aware of. Don't take it to a dealer b/c they'll replace them when it's not necessary. Use a hydraulic jack or scissor jack on either side of the front, remove a wheel and eyeball the pads and rotors. Use google search to tell you what to look for if you've not done this before.

·
Registered
123 Posts
No warning light or beep on any car that I've heard of. They should begin to squeal or squeak when stopping when they are needing to be replaced.

A good mechanic will let you know when it's time to replace them during visits for preventative maintenance. My wife drives a 2007 Camry Hybrid. The last time we took it in for it's inspection and oil change (generally every six months), the mechanic said that it might be finally time to consider replacing the front brakes- at the next visit. He said that there was approximately 10% left on the pads. Considering the car has 180,000 miles and has original front pads, an additional 10% would put the replacement at around 190,000 or 200,000 miles.

Are you experiencing warning signs of brake pad/rotor wear? Squeaky or squealing noise while braking, pulsing while stopping, or longer than normal stopping distances?

As Slimm1469 said, you can take off your wheel and look at the pads from the side to see how much is left. Just keep in mind that there is a pad on both sides of the rotor and both should be checked. They should be wearing evenly and there shouldn't be any divots or unevenness in the rotor. It should be smooth.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not on the Accord. I know the BMW 3-series has had pad wear sensors since at least 2006 (E90 and up). Trust me, you don't want them - they're sacrificial wear parts that have to be replaced every time your pads are replaced.

Most pads have wear indicators that you'll hear/feel in the pedal when it's their time to go.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes gang I understand all the mechanical info. I have changed many brakes over the years. I traded a 2003 5 series BMW for this 2018 Accord Touring 2.0T. The BMW had a wire trip that prompted when the pads and or rotors were becoming need to replace. So I wanted to know if Hondas also have this.

·
Cruising in Montana
3,726 Posts
Is there a warning prompt/light that warns of low brake pads/rotors?
Cars have had such indicators for decades. They are audible, not electronic.

When the pads get down to about 1mm of thickness, a metal thing on the pad contacts the brake disk and makes a noise you can't ignore.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cars have had such indicators for decades. They are audible, not electronic.

When the pads get down to about 1mm of thickness, a metal thing on the pad contacts the brake disk and makes a noise you can't ignore.

yes mtts, but its now the new millennium...its called the electronic age..get it?

·
HK Moderator
14,061 Posts
Real bright answer name! And your a moderator? How sad.
Bright? You wanted "you're", not "your". And you're a member? Truly, sad.

yes mtts, but its now the new millennium...its called the electronic age..get it?
Is this your way of saying "thanks"? You should find another forum to degrade.

And in the electronic age, you can download your owner's manual and read through it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.