Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
2013 Sport
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unless I'm missing it, there isn't a cut and clear schedule in my owners manual. Has anyone found an actual chart on the recommended intervals and procedures?

·
Registered
159 Posts
There isn't one. It uses an more advance algorithm, called the Maintenance Minder, to determine service intervals. It takes into account things like driving habits, etc. The manual references the different codes that will display on your dash. The first you will see is generally an oil change code, when the oil level reaches 15%.

·
2013 Sport
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kind of lame that they don't provide you one for at least the basics. I'm at least mindful of more than just oil changes.

·
Crosseyed and Gearless
298 Posts
Kind of lame that they don't provide you one for at least the basics. I'm at least mindful of more than just oil changes.
I agree, lame, not because MM doesn't work, but because you have no advance warning that a service is upcoming, and most folks like to plan ahead for these things, especially if DIY and you need to order/get materials. Other thing is what if the MM system goes south, software glitches don't only happen on military equipment, so you could have people not changing ATF fluid on a CVT until well past due.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
One might think that someone with "cyber" in his user name would be more willing to adopt new techy things. Also, there is a whole lot more info provided by the MM than just oil change requirements.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
I agree, lame, not because MM doesn't work, but because you have no advance warning that a service is upcoming, and most folks like to plan ahead for these things, especially if DIY and you need to order/get materials. Other thing is what if the MM system goes south, software glitches don't only happen on military equipment, so you could have people not changing ATF fluid on a CVT until well past due.
Thats why it comes on at 15% and not 0%... :thmsup:

Jay

·
2013 Sport
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One might think that someone with "cyber" in his user name would be more willing to adopt new techy things. Also, there is a whole lot more info provided by the MM than just oil change requirements.
I don't want to have to pull out my manual and dig out codes everytime a light pops on. I'd much rather have a print out of an actual schedule to easily reference. Who's to say that all these calculations that MM creates based off of driving conditions is even accurate? I could have 100k on my car and have some issue that I could have avoided using maintenance schedules that have had decades of practice. I'm not against MM by any means, just prefer to have a quick reference. I don't want a timing belt/chain pop up during a time when I'm financially strapped.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
I don't want to have to pull out my manual and dig out codes everytime a light pops on. I'd much rather have a print out of an actual schedule to easily reference. Who's to say that all these calculations that MM creates based off of driving conditions is even accurate? I could have 100k on my car and have some issue that I could have avoided using maintenance schedules that have had decades of practice. I'm not against MM by any means, just prefer to have a quick reference. I don't want a timing belt/chain pop up during a time when I'm financially strapped.
Its good for the life of the car, no service interval. And its a chain, too!

Jay

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
I think the MM pretty much targets the previously scheduled mileage intervals anyways, with only adjustments +/- based on driving style. I like working on my car so I end up doing everything WAY early anyways.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Where did you find this maintenance schedule? Why would you not want to use the MM? It determines if you are driving in stop and go traffic or mostly highway. It knows if you make a lot of short trips or longer trips. The algorithm takes all those factors into consideration and continuously tells you the percentage of your oil life. Additionally, it reminds you to rotate your tires and other service items.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
This schedule is not for a 9th Gen Accord.
I didn't think it was for the 9th generation Accord. Why do people want to make this difficult when Honda is trying to make maintaining your car easier?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I didn't think it was for the 9th generation Accord. Why do people want to make this difficult when Honda is trying to make maintaining your car easier?
No one is disagreeing with Honda trying to make it easier to maintain your car. Besides wanting to plan out maintenance, I know more than just a few people would have a problem with always waiting for the MM... especially for those who plan to keep the car 10+ years. Electronics/computers wear out and as such, one has to ask this question... What happens when the MM malfunctions/dies due to age or a sensor or sensors malfunctions/dies or some other quirkiness?

Bottom line... even though our society is becoming almost totally dependent on all things digital, that doesn't always make the right choice for the long-haul. It's good to have a general idea without having to depend on the computer all the time. When electronics work, they're awesome, but when they don't, it's a royal PITA.

Tommy

·
Registered
295 Posts
I would much rather have mileage schedules than this stupid maintenance minder.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
159 Posts
No one is disagreeing with Honda trying to make it easier to maintain your car. Besides wanting to plan out maintenance, I know more than just a few people would have a problem with always waiting for the MM... especially for those who plan to keep the car 10+ years. Electronics/computers wear out and as such, one has to ask this question... What happens when the MM malfunctions/dies due to age or a sensor or sensors malfunctions/dies or some other quirkiness?

Bottom line... even though our society is becoming almost totally dependent on all things digital, that doesn't always make the right choice for the long-haul. It's good to have a general idea without having to depend on the computer all the time. When electronics work, they're awesome, but when they don't, it's a royal PITA.

Tommy
What happens when electronics wear out? The same as when mechanical parts wear out...they get fixed or replaced. The advantage of electronics is self checks, which can alert you to a problem. The electronic problems are usually newer gizomos and gadgets ( radios/ touchscreens/etc. The vehicle sensors tend to be much more reliable.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Fail Zero bcg
536 Posts
Agreed I just wish they were a little more transparent on how it actually works

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was just talking to my wife about this same issue. I bought my '13 in June and last week hit the 8k mile mark. The oil life was still at 20% which apparently was ok as I wasn't getting a reminder on my dash. But I went ahead and scheduled an oil change/tire rotation at the dealer where I bought the car (have been using them for years and trust them) since I had never gone 8k miles between oil changes.

I took it in at the end of last week and inquired about maintenance schedule, oil life, etc. I explained that I was concerned that somehow I had missed my car's initial scheduled maintenance visit and that I went too long on the original oil. The dealer basically said the car's computer now analyzes things that are needed so precisely that Accord owners no longer need to feel married to the maintenance schedule as we have in the past. They said that the Accord uses synthetic which extends oil life and the computer analyzes everything for us and will notify us when something is needed. I guess I'll just have to trust 'em on that.

It's nice that the new cars' on-board computer systems have become so advanced, but I still want to do all I can to make sure my vehicle lasts many years.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts