Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Part of Honda's Earth Dream technology includes turbo diesel powered cars. There is a new turbo diesel Civic and CRV in Europe and a very small car in India called the Amaze.

What do you think of turbo diesel technology in general?

Has anyone here owned a diesel or turbo diesel engine car? And, what did you think of the technology?

Would you be interested in a turbo diesel Accord?

·
6MT JUNKIE
719 Posts
Part of Honda's Earth Dream technology includes turbo diesel powered cars. There is a new turbo diesel Civic and CRV in Europe and a very small car in India called the Amaze.

What do you think of turbo diesel technology in general?

Has anyone here owned a diesel or turbo diesel engine car? And, what did you think of the technology?

Would you be interested in a turbo diesel Accord?

Turbo Diesel Wagon 6SPD.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I would be in for a reliable turbo diesel from Honda. Notice I said reliable. Therefore no TDi right now for me.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had 2 early 80's MB turbo diesels. Wonderful cars, all Benz. Kind of a dead spot until the turbo spooled up at about 2k then it took off like a Benz. Wonderful for passing on the hwy as the turbo was already going mileage was around 20-22 mpg. Compared to the mileage of the V8s at the time they were fuel sippers. Having lived overseas many years diesel is all the rage for that very reason. The Japanese have been making small diesel engines for years but few ever make it here.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
ANYTHING turbo from Honda would be welcomed. I'd at least consider a Honda TD.

·
6MT JUNKIE
719 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
:( What could have been...

RIP RDX 2.3

Might as well throw in SH-AWD.

Or E class wagon...

:thmsup::thmsup:

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Or E class wagon...

:thmsup::thmsup:
If they sloped the back a little more they could call it a 5 door coupe :D

Are these all turbo diesel powered cars?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sadly it is very likely we will never see a turbo diesel from Honda or any other car manufacturer out here in the states. Even with current gas prices, many of these companies don't believe there is enough demand for diesel cars in the states to make a profit off of them. One day though...:dunno:

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sadly it is very likely we will never see a turbo diesel from Honda or any other car manufacturer out here in the states. Even with current gas prices, many of these companies don't believe there is enough demand for diesel cars in the states to make a profit off of them. One day though...:dunno:
According to this site you can buy them now but not from Honda.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news...very-2012-clean-diesel-car-on-sale-in-the-u-s

I wonder why diesel cars have never caught on here in the US? If they did would Honda bring in diesel cars?

·
Registered
535 Posts
V Makes Many Models.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I didn't mean to say that there aren't any diesel cars out here, but looking at the amount of models available in diesel compared to the amount in Europe is significantly less.

·
Registered
68 Posts
They need to be highly reliable, not cost a lot more than the gasoline option, and have a manual transmission and i'm in.

BTW you can get a diesel chevy cruze, VWs, Audis, BMWs, Mercedes Benzs, 1500 ram trucks, Jeep Grand Cherokees, and im still probably forgetting a few.

·
James.uk
763 Posts
Here in the UK I own two Automatic diesels, the non turbo Citroen ZX has been ultra reliable, but rather boring to drive, a bit like my ex Honda Accord auto, but the 2 litre Rover 75 turbo Diesel (made by BMW) is a brilliant car. :)

I have had the Citroen about 8 years, and the Rover 75 almost five years. I tend to use the Rover most of the time, it has now done 173,000 miles, and still drives beutifully.... :yes:

If the USA were to import Diesel cars, the oil companies would lose billions of $ due to the diesel being far more frugal than petrol engines. And as most of your politicians have vested interests in the oil industries I can't see you getting many diesels in the future. :(.. Unless....

If oil should become harder to get... Then you would see a huge influx of diesels.. ;)

·
Banned
47 Posts
Here in the UK ;)
You lost me after this. oh, look it's James from the UK with the funny dog that looks like cross between a German Shepard, golden retriever and a squirrel. Please loosen that chain cause it's wrapped so tight, it's choking it as it hops on your dining table! :lmao: just kidding mate, cheerios

Forget the diesel, just give me a st8 turbo that will annihilate the WRX and I'm ALL good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just moved from a VW TDI to an Accord. I thought I would go with the Passat diesel this year. But with diesel fuel just about $1 more than RU and the price premium much higher on the diesel vehicle it negated any savings. I did my own maintenance, if I had to pay someone to do it I wouldn't even have considered a diesel. The other issue is all the EPA stuff added now DPF filters and other systems that are very expensive to repair or replace. The savings just are not there. I chose the Honda w 2.4 6spd MT for the simplicity. Almost bullet proof timing chain system. Simple fuel system low overall maintenance. I still have my 04 TDI and will continue to drive it locally, it only has 292,000 miles so it should still be good for a while. I just needed something for travel that I could continue to trust. I don't think Honda could bring a diesel into the US and be as reliable and they would like to be. Not Honda's fault just all the regulations for diesels.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I believe GM is personally responsible for killing the diesel market in the U.S. with its Oldsmobile diesel fiasco of the '80's. They were so troublesome and unreliable, American car buyers lost all confidence in diesel powered automobiles. By the time GM addressed all the issues with its converted 350 cu. in. V8 from gas to diesel, their sales had plummeted from more than 100,000/yr. to less than 10,000. The diesel was scrapped but not until it destroyed any demand for a diesel powered passenger car.

I've owned Chevy trucks with diesels from the 80's going all the way back to the non-turbo 6.2 L. Towing heavy loads such as travel trailers and 5th wheels calls for lots of low end torque and gearing alone just kills already feeble truck gas mileage. On the other hand, the nearly $10K premium, more expensive diesel fuel and troublesome exhaust regen. and DPF systems erase most of the benefits of owning the more efficient diesel design platform. When my '07 Duramax dually finally dies, I doubt I'll pony up the more than $70K for a new one. For a lot less, I can rent a seasonal lot in any RV park for for 35 yrs. and still be money ahead.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts