Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...any neglected space provided for a low washer fluid indicator in the US instrument panel? I'm sure this was mentioned somewhere, but I can't find it now - can anybody confirm or deny? Thx.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Why would you want an indicator for washer fluid?
I'm glad there isn't one on Hondas. The sending unit for it would probably stop working and then there would be a light on in the instrument panel.

·
Registered
505 Posts
There is an indicator on panel, it is not used in US models. Canadians on other hand have that feature active and they even get a larger capacity washer fluid reservoir.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Why have cars in the U.S. given up on washer fluid sensors in the last 30 years? I remember my parents' Chryslers having them in the 1980s. Having unexpectedly run out of washer fluid while driving on the freeway with dirty slush being thrown up from every car and having to pull off and drive half-blind to the nearest store to get a jug, it seems like it would come in handy. It just seems like an odd place to save a few cents, especially if it's required in Canadian models anyway.

·
Registered
505 Posts
This was a shocker for me as well, as my old Camry has it. At first I thought it was annoying, but then in winter times this actually became useful.

·
Past Doritos Spinner
4,058 Posts
I'm glad there isn't one on US Hondas. The sending unit for it would probably stop working and then there would be a light on in the instrument panel.
Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Mine is still working after 12 years so there is nothing to worry about. It's a simple continuity switch, it's not going to break easily. We have much, MUCH more complex electronic parts on cars.

Canadian tanks are also much bigger than US tanks, so having an indicator for US models could come in handy.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Geez, folks, I know it's been discussed a hundred times here, I realize US version does not have this feature and I know there are people who miss the old times, the golden age of motorization when you had the wheel, the stick and three pedals to operate and focus on but I asked a simple question...
As I am going to swap a canadian bottle (for those not familiar with a map - Poland is located more or less at the lattitude of Newfoundland rather than California and although heavy winters are long gone here, I tend to have a lot of mud on the windshield for at least six months) I thought it would be fun to swap the indicator as well. Will somebody tell me whether there is a transparent place where a LED can be inserted and seen when activated?
PS.
To make things even less bearable for traditionalists, I'm also thinking of installing 10 gen civic headlight washers and the only nuisance which stops me is the price of nozzles...

·
Registered
505 Posts
There appears to be a placeholder for the light on dash. The symbol outline is visible if you shine flashlight onto it, you'll where it is. Where and how did you get the larger reservoir? I cannot find it in States for the life of me. Only available option is Canada's dealers, but the cost is high and shipping is half the cost of the tank. To add more to the irony, I was told that reservoirs made for Canada are manufactured in States.

·
Registered
505 Posts
A few years ago, I was able to find Canadian tank at us dealers website, place order online, then a few days later they would cancel the order. I remember that I had found Canadian dealers and found they were selling for like 150 and none would ship across the border except one for like another 40 to 70 bucks or something like that. At that time I thought that it was pretty bizarre.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
At that time I thought that it was pretty bizarre.
Yeah, for over 200 $ I'd rather produce one on my own ;). I've checked Canadian sites as well - It seems you are at a kinda tax war with Canada:) For the time being, I'm looking for good shipping options - when I find the right one, I'll start checking whether everything is really available.

·
Past Doritos Spinner
4,058 Posts
Given the volume of the tank, I can imagine the part being expensive to ship.

Sent from GM1917. Technology!

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Why have cars in the U.S. given up on washer fluid sensors in the last 30 years? I remember my parents' Chryslers having them in the 1980s. Having unexpectedly run out of washer fluid while driving on the freeway with dirty slush being thrown up from every car and having to pull off and drive half-blind to the nearest store to get a jug, it seems like it would come in handy. It just seems like an odd place to save a few cents, especially if it's required in Canadian models anyway.
Or, OR! you could check the fluid level regularly. And/or you could carry a jug of the stuff in the trunk of your car for when you "unexpectedly" run out. Seems easier than lamenting the whys and wherefores of the lack of a sensor on your car.

·
Registered
505 Posts

• Given the volume of the tank, I can imagine the part being expensive to ship.

Volume of the tank is of fluids that it holds, empty reservoir weights at most 3 pounds, most likely between 1 and 2 though. So shipping weight is not the problem.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Or, OR! you could check the fluid level regularly. And/or you could carry a jug of the stuff in the trunk of your car for when you "unexpectedly" run out. Seems easier than lamenting the whys and wherefores of the lack of a sensor on your car.
Surely there are plenty of indicators and features you might want to get rid off. "Check engine" for example. First, it says nothing and may mean nothing. Second, if you take care of your engine, inspect it, pay attention to leaks, change oil, spark plugs, washers and filters regularly, you can forget about it."Hand brake" warning... You can always check if you have pulled it up or not, can't you? And this stupid "low fuel" alert - don't you remember when you last filled up? The current trip meter should be enough... These constant scoldings here about one stupid LED make me laugh. Why don't you complain about all the other electronical nunnies modern cars come with? Such a crusade might be interesting...
As I said before, there will always be the people who will do with four wheels and not much more, looking for "pure driving experience" - for each his own... I don't mind any indicators unless they go off for no reason or say nothing.

·
Past Doritos Spinner
4,058 Posts

• Volume of the tank is of fluids that it holds, empty reservoir weights at most 3 pounds, most likely between 1 and 2 though. So shipping weight is not the problem.
When you ship something, they measure the dimensions of it as well, so I'd imagine the shipping cost not being that low. Weight is not the concern, but packaging will be.
Surely there are plenty of indicators and features you might want to get rid off. "Check engine" for example. First, it says nothing and may mean nothing. Second, if you take care of your engine, inspect it, pay attention to leaks, change oil, spark plugs, washers and filters regularly, you can forget about it."Hand brake" warning... You can always check if you have pulled it up or not, can't you? And this stupid "low fuel" alert - don't you remember when you last filled up? The current trip meter should be enough... These constant scoldings here about one stupid LED make me laugh. Why don't you complain about all the other electronical nunnies modern cars come with? Such a crusade might be interesting...
As I said before, there will always be the people who will do with four wheels and not much more, looking for "pure driving experience" - for each his own... I don't mind any indicators unless they go off for no reason or say nothing.
Like I said before, the grapes you can't have are sour.

And even if you don't need the indicator, having a bigger tank helps. Maybe some people here never drive on muddy roads.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts