Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Surely there are plenty of indicators and features you might want to get rid off. "Check engine" for example. First, it says nothing and may mean nothing. Second, if you take care of your engine, inspect it, pay attention to leaks, change oil, spark plugs, washers and filters regularly, you can forget about it."Hand brake" warning... You can always check if you have pulled it up or not, can't you? And this stupid "low fuel" alert - don't you remember when you last filled up? The current trip meter should be enough... These constant scoldings here about one stupid LED make me laugh. Why don't you complain about all the other electronical nunnies modern cars come with? Such a crusade might be interesting...
As I said before, there will always be the people who will do with four wheels and not much more, looking for "pure driving experience" - for each his own... I don't mind any indicators unless they go off for no reason or say nothing.
POINT BEING there is a wonderfully simple solution to the lack of a low washer fluid indicator. And I'm not referring to trying to install one.

I DO own a number of classics that don't have check engine lights, parking brake warning lights or low fuel lights in addition, believe it or not, no low washer fluid light! And I have NOT ONCE been stranded by "unexpectedly" running out of washer fluid.

Look, all joking aside, the simple fact is the US versions of these cars don't have a low fluid indicator. Take appropriate action to deal with it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I think it would be nice to have a warning light so that you aren't stranded on a long snowy highway without fluid. That being said, you should be prepared and informed on all your fluids. I check everything every few weeks so I've never been surprised.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Overall shape is not that much bigger and if I recall correctly it is just more rectangular shaped then the smaller capacity.

·
Registered
63 Posts
...any neglected space provided for a low washer fluid indicator in the US instrument panel? I'm sure this was mentioned somewhere, but I can't find it now - can anybody confirm or deny? Thx.
Unfortunately, this has been a long time sore spot for Hondas as long as I can remember. I have had six Honda motor cars, starting with my 1986 Accord LX, Laurel metallic, four door sedan. My wife and I drove that car for one hundred seventy six thousand miles. This car, disappointedly, had no low windshield washer fluid indicator. This trend has continued to this day. My two thousand nine Accord EX-L, V six, six speed and our two thousand thirteen Crosstour EX-L, V6, AWD, Navigation omits this key indicator of crucial information. I, and my wife are flabbergasted by by this omission as we have suffered through the years being caught completely unprepared for sudden lack of vision due to a filthy windshield. I and a friend, well maybe not so much a friend but someone I know, have discussed this on previous occasions. I am surprised the NTSB hasn't made this a requirement for automobiles and possibly even trucks. We are definitely kindred spirits on this matter.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I am surprised the NTSB hasn't made this a requirement for automobiles and possibly even trucks. We are definitely kindred spirits on this matter.
The National Transportation Safety Board? The government agency tasked with investigating serious civil transportation incidents ie aviation crashes etc? I 100% believe that a low washer fluid indicator is helpful and necessary. But let's be rational.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
I, and my wife are flabbergasted by by this omission as we have suffered through the years being caught completely unprepared for sudden lack of vision due to a filthy windshield. I and a friend, well maybe not so much a friend but someone I know, have discussed this on previous occasions.
And checking the level in the bottle on a weekly or bi-weekly basis never seemed like a simple, rational and important thing to do? Who has the biggest failure here, Honda for not including an extraneous feature or the owner for not properly maintaining their car for the job at hand?

·
Past Doritos Spinner
4,057 Posts
And checking the level in the bottle on a weekly or bi-weekly basis never seemed like a simple, rational and important thing to do? Who has the biggest failure here, Honda for not including an extraneous feature or the owner for not properly maintaining their car for the job at hand?
With the size of the American tanks, you'd be lucky if your tank of fluid lasts a week if you live in a muddy area.

Honestly it just depends on where you live. Back in Victoria, BC I wouldn't have minded, but where I live now? It can actually be helpful with a smaller tank since your car can easily look like this.

Lots of features can be considered extraneous if you are hardcore enough. I mean technically you can still drive a 1960s car and it still works. Why go for any of this extraneous BS we have nowadays?

Sent from GM1917. Technology!

·
Registered
63 Posts
So, instead of paving roads they have autos with ginormous washer fluid tanks, and high tech washer fluid management systems eh. You'd think with taxes and all they could have paved some roads eh.

·
Past Doritos Spinner
4,057 Posts
So, instead of paving roads they have autos with ginormous washer fluid tanks, and high tech washer fluid management systems eh. You'd think with taxes and all they could have paved some roads eh.
Or you guys could use your tax dollars so you can learn about geography better. Or read better.

...Back in Victoria, BC I wouldn't have minded...
Victoria, BC is in Canada for your convenience. That's where I wouldn't need an indicator or massive tank. It's all about your situation.

If you have a lot of snow on the road(which, surprise, is not just in Canada) or gets muddy near a mine/construction(where I am at), it's pretty normal even if you have paved roads.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The issue really is why Honda decided for such discriminating decision on which country get the bigger tank. It really wouldn't be so bad if states had bigger reservoir and no low fluid indicator.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Lok
With the size of the American tanks, you'd be lucky if your tank of fluid lasts a week if you live in a muddy area.

Honestly it just depends on where you live. Back in Victoria, BC I wouldn't have minded, but where I live now? It can actually be helpful with a smaller tank since your car can easily look like this.

Lots of features can be considered extraneous if you are hardcore enough. I mean technically you can still drive a 1960s car and it still works. Why go for any of this extraneous BS we have nowadays?

Looks like mine... I live in the ouskirts, the local roads are not very bad but pretty muddy at this time of the year.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Or you guys could use your tax dollars so you can learn about geography better. Or read better.

Victoria, BC is in Canada for your convenience. That's where I wouldn't need an indicator or massive tank. It's all about your situation.

If you have a lot of snow on the road(which, surprise, is not just in Canada) or gets muddy near a mine/construction(where I am at), it's pretty normal even if you have paved roads.

Wow!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I cannot find it in States for the life of me. Only available option is Canada's dealers, but the cost is high and shipping is half the cost of the tank. To add more to the irony, I was told that reservoirs made for Canada are manufactured in States.
You were right, unfortunately. The links I've found appear to be outdated... The price for a piece of blown HDPE is outrageous. I really don't understand your (US - Canada) trade realities. The price differences between countries are pretty normal, still I can't imagine such a scale of difference between the countries at a similar level of development. And one more thing: In my country (not to mention China ;)), if the market happened to lack potentially profitable and not very sophisticated goods, small enterprises operating in a given sector would quicly come up with aftermarket solutions. It would seem that one of the most popular cars in such a huge country would trigger similar reactions - nothing like that. The same applies to body kits. I find it weird, but, as I said, I don't know your realities and conditions.
As for my tank, it seems I am left to my own devices now - I've got an idea, but it will take a bit of tinkering...

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Okay, then check it more often and keep a spare jug in the trunk? I mean, hurry, before the hoarders figure out WS washer fluid is mostly alcohol and can be used as a hand sanitizer!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'd think you could install an auxiliary tank in a spot in the trunk or behind a finder well for the money of re engineering the existing system.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I'd think you could install an auxiliary tank in a spot in the trunk or behind a finder well for the money of re engineering the existing system.
There's also quite a lot of space right behind the engine, on the firewall...

·
Registered
712 Posts
Or, OR! you could check the fluid level regularly. And/or you could carry a jug of the stuff in the trunk of your car for when you "unexpectedly" run out. Seems easier than lamenting the whys and wherefores of the lack of a sensor on your car.
sometimes if you cant help solve a problem, you can just sit there and think to yourself 'hey good luck stranger in making your car the way you want it'

Seems easier than lamenting why someone would want to do "XXXXXX" to their car.

Wierd

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
sometimes if you cant help solve a problem, you can just sit there and think to yourself 'hey good luck stranger in making your car the way you want it'

Seems easier than lamenting why someone would want to do "XXXXXX" to their car.

Wierd
I did offer a solution. A very simple and effective one.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts