Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
2009 accord ex 4 cylinder
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up brothers im in the process of retrofitting my headlights :thmsup:
quick question
i hate that when i have my headlights on i need to have my parking lights on as well :thumbsdow it would look so much better without them being on with your headlights !!!, is there anyway only to use them as turn signals without having them on with your headlights on ??:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
3,473 Posts
They come on because they are kinda legally required to.

You can just cut the wire for the parking light and leave the one for the turn signal intact.

·
v6 powah!
27 Posts
They come on because they are kinda legally required to.

You can just cut the wire for the parking light and leave the one for the turn signal intact.
Not entirely true. They are required by law in the EU and Canada but there is no nationwide mandate on DRL. I am not sure if certain states require them.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm curious about this as well.. I hate the fact that I have to have the parking light on when my headlights are on.
I won't be retrofitting my headlights, but I am looking for a way to use the parking light location as a secondary blinker and have fog lights come on automatically when I turn on the headlights..

So my question (not to hijack your thread, but kinda throw a little curveball into the mix) which I think is similar to what you are asking Renzo...

Can you cut the connector off of the parking lights and extend the wires down to the fog lights and splice in the fog light connector instead? (In my mind, instead of the Parking lights, the fogs would come on in this case)
Then tap the wires from the blinker circuit of each side and splice them into the tail from the original parking light connectors...

Would this work?

I don't even have my fogs yet :lmao: but I'm already thinking about the warm weather and projects that I can do :dunno:

·
Marcus
156 Posts
I believe parking lights are a legal factor and must be on each headlight in the case a headlight is to blow out - so oncoming drivers can distinguish you between being a car with a busted headlight or a motorcycle. It's honestly a safety factor. I would say to just go with switchbacks that match your headlights and give a clean look.

Check the pictures on this thread. http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=123090&highlight=switchback

·
Marcus
156 Posts
I'm curious about this as well.. I hate the fact that I have to have the parking light on when my headlights are on.
I won't be retrofitting my headlights, but I am looking for a way to use the parking light location as a secondary blinker and have fog lights come on automatically when I turn on the headlights..

So my question (not to hijack your thread, but kinda throw a little curveball into the mix) which I think is similar to what you are asking Renzo...

Can you cut the connector off of the parking lights and extend the wires down to the fog lights and splice in the fog light connector instead? (In my mind, instead of the Parking lights, the fogs would come on in this case)
Then tap the wires from the blinker circuit of each side and splice them into the tail from the original parking light connectors...

Would this work?

I don't even have my fogs yet :lmao: but I'm already thinking about the warm weather and projects that I can do :dunno:
I'm not sure what you're exactly trying to accomplish but it seems like if you were to splice the fogs into the parking light wire, the fogs would just turn on when you turn your headlights on, it'd be better to just install them normally with a switch so they do turn on with your low beams or you can turn them off.

If what you're getting at is to turn the stalk one click to where it's just the parking lights and taillights on and you're wanting to have the fogs on at that time, then yes that would be an awesome mod. It seems like it would work like that on paper, but I guarantee there's some crazy technicality that would force you to go to the moon to get the part. It's definitely been asked before, but I'm not entirely sure if somebody has gone ahead and done this mod.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thanks gillbill, makes sense about the Parking light functionality and being able to determine weather a motorcycle or car is coming at you, but If I had fogs that came on regardless instead of parking lights then I think that I should still be alright if a headlight were to blow.

To be able to control my fogs with one turn of the stalk is exactly what I would like to accomplish, and like renzo I would like the original parking light location to blink only. As you said, I'm sure there is some technicality that will keep me from being able to do this.. Hopefully somebody who has attempted, completed or failed at this mod could chime in..

·
Marcus
156 Posts
Thanks gillbill, makes sense about the Parking light functionality and being able to determine weather a motorcycle or car is coming at you, but If I had fogs that came on regardless instead of parking lights then I think that I should still be alright if a headlight were to blow.

To be able to control my fogs with one turn of the stalk is exactly what I would like to accomplish, and like renzo I would like the original parking light location to blink only. As you said, I'm sure there is some technicality that will keep me from being able to do this.. Hopefully somebody who has attempted, completed or failed at this mod could chime in..
What you could do is wire your fogs to the battery and have some sort of remote wire to make sure it turns off when you turn the car off, but turns on when you turn the key, providing power at all times (kinda like installing an aftermarket audio system). If the parking wire and the blinker wire are two physically different and independent wires from one another, you could cut the parking wire and use it solely for blinkers while having your fogs permanently on (well to a switch that allows you to have them on regardless of your headlights). That would allow you to turn on the fogs without having the headlights on and turning off your parking lights while the headlights are on.

I have a friend with an Altima that bought the car with aftermarket fogs pre-installed and had a separate switch for it in the cubby next to his VSA button and that allowed him to have fogs on at all times. He's not sure how it was installed but was happy to have fogs, so he didn't question it haha.

·
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a lot for the replies brothers i might have to cut the wire for the parking lights cause i really dont like them im currently working on my retrofit as we speak im blacking out the housing

Are there 2 wires positive and negative or 3 wires ??

·
Registered
275 Posts
I believe parking lights are a legal factor and must be on each headlight in the case a headlight is to blow out - so oncoming drivers can distinguish you between being a car with a busted headlight or a motorcycle. It's honestly a safety factor. I would say to just go with switchbacks that match your headlights and give a clean look.

Check the pictures on this thread. http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=123090&highlight=switchback
Bingo, IMO I think they look kinda cool actually.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Nice renzo can't wait to see the finished product.
Gillbill, I have an LX so no wiring of the fogs into factory harness. I planned on adding a switch next to my VSA to control the fogs separately and hook directly to the battery. My thought though is that u should be able to splice into the wire that acts as the "switch leg" which connects to the stalk for your headlights.. ??

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Marcus
156 Posts
Nice renzo can't wait to see the finished product.
Gillbill, I have an LX so no wiring of the fogs into factory harness. I planned on adding a switch next to my VSA to control the fogs separately and hook directly to the battery. My thought though is that u should be able to splice into the wire that acts as the "switch leg" which connects to the stalk for your headlights.. ??

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Forgive me, I don't think I'm fully understanding what you're saying. I was thinking for your plan, you'd have to wire the fogs completely separate and independent of the headlight stalk in order to have them turn on without having the headlights, right?

·
Registered
293 Posts
LoL, I think I'm confusing myself at this point :lmao:

Let me start over.. And please, keep in mind that I have basically no knowledge of how the wiring works in a car...

I have the LX-S model, so no harness for fog lights is what I understand, no?

So my understanding was that the only way I could have fog lights, was to buy an aftermarket pair that connects to your battery with a switch that would have nothing to do with your stock wiring harness or the stalk. Am I right so far?

I want to cut the connector off of the parking light (leaving a small bit of wire to connect turn signal wires back to) extend the parking light wires that were cut down to fog the locations from each side

Then I want to splice into the turn signal wires that go to the stock turn signals and connect them to the wires from the parking light connectors and then re-install them in their locations.

So I would by the click of my stalk have fogs instead of the parking lights, and turn signals in parking light locations.

Now the question here and I'm sure this has something to do with why there is no harness for the LX models... Will the parking light wires provide enough "juice" to power the fogs? I guess another question or possibly falls into the same category, would the fuse that the parking lights are connected to be enough to handle the fogs?

Sorry Renzo, let me know if this isn't at all what you are trying to do (less the fog lights). I feel like I'm jackin' your thread a bit here... Althoughhhh.... Who knows, maybe you plan on installing fogs in the near future?? :thumbsup:

·
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lol no problem mikey

·
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so what do you plan on doing when you need an inspection? it certainly won't pass without parking lights…
Good point but i hate how they look with the headlights on lol

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I fundamentally disagree with this "mod" but all you'd have to do is add an inline empty fuse holder or switch to the parking light power lead. When subject to inspection load the fuse or toggle the switch to on. Since the blinker lead is separate the bulb will still blink even when main parking light power is interrupted.

·
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was thinkin on cutting the parking wire and add a female and male connector on each end, i would have them disconnected and when inspection comes ill plug them in

1 - 19 of 19 Posts