Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since day one with my V6 Accord I've noticed a different "feel" when the transmission up-shifts. Especially at moderate and higher throttle.

It's difficult to describe.....but it sort of feels as if the engine's revs are being controlled (lowered) as the transmission shifts.

On older cars.....if a shift occurred when the engine was turning; say...3500 rpm.....the engine stayed turning 3500 as the transmission shifted.....and only after the clutch packs engaged would the engine rpm be effectively lowered....just due to the fact that the car was in a higher gear.....and the engine had no choice but to slow down.

On the Accord....it sort of feels like the engine RPM's are being lowered somehow to be at or near the RPM needed in the next gear.

Does that make sense? Does anyone know if that is in fact actually happening?

Chuck

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
No.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I know on the old Lexus cars, they programmed the engine to stop firing its spark plugs during shifts to make shifting smoother. In addition, given how historically fragile Honda automatic transmissions used to be (though the 6speed AT seems to be good unit, along with the newer 5 speed automatics), I wouldn't be surprised if Honda did this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts