Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to put all my "system" from my 2004 coupe into my 2017 coupe. In the 2004 I have the head unit in the cubby under the stock radio using a kit like this:

My single DIN head unit has built in crossovers and a 13 band EQ. I have no need for XM radio, bluetooth, wifi, or anything connected to my phone. So I would like to keep the same head unit.

Is there a similar single DIN install kit for a 9th gen?

·
3-Time Accord Owner
1,114 Posts
I looked at this before because I was interested in the Alpine "Halo" 9-inch touchscreen single DIN model. I found nothing available at ALL, but there is a thread or two on Drive Accord where folks fabricated something to make it work down where the storage bin is, and they look very nice.

What I've found now that I am using an Alpine iLX-W650 (7" screen double-din, shallow chassis in factory location with factory radio buried in the dash behind it) is that I am glad I didn't go that direction because the storage cubby is just so far down from the driver's line of sight that I see it as a potential safety issue. That's just me. But for what the W650 costs (under $300) and with its flexibility (9 band but 3-selectable frequencies per band parametric equalizer), plus the sound quality improvement, it's a total win. I am 100% happy with it, no regrets at all.

BTW, Kudos to you on that setup in your 2004. I had a 2006 and that was a tricky situation for sure. I ended up just using a USA-Spec iPod adapter, but it was the good old days, eh? :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the setup in the 2004:

From what I've read I can get good sound out of the stock 2017 head unit. I think it is "premium" it has a sub in the center rear deck. But the main reason I don't want to use it is because it is a touch screen. I have to take my eyes off the road to do anything. With the old deck in the 7th gen I could reach down and grab the volume knob without looking. And changing tracks/folders is easy as well. Using the cubby of the 9th gen should put the deck at just about the same position.

I've seen the cubby converted I just wondered if there was a kit now to do it. I'll buy a second cubby to cut up I guess.

·
3-Time Accord Owner
1,114 Posts
Looks very nice! As for the touch screen: I also like a real knob for radio control, but now that I’ve lived with this W650 for 45 days, I’ve found that most of the time I use the steering wheel buttons for just about everything. And Alpine thoughtfully included a mute button on the bottom of the touch screen for those times when you positively, absolutely have to turn down the volume quickly. So while I had misgivings about the touch screen going in, I have no regrets now. But I also am loving the Apple CarPlay, something you indicated you weren’t interested in...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guess I'm just old. I don't take my phone out of my pocket while driving.

Supposedly my stock radio has Apple and Android Carplay. I keep all my music on a USB drive. It is much more music than my phone can store. For what it's worth I don't use the radio either, I don't even bother plugging in the antenna. Used to keep MP3s on burnt CDs, but with only 7 albums one 1 CD it got old after a while. Now with USB I can have all my music.

I'll try to live with the stock head unit for a while, but to add a "system" I'll need some sort of EQ.

Won't be transferring the system till it gets warmer out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts