Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the drive belt replaced 4.5 years ago (40,000 miles on it) on my V6 2003 Accord, with the timing belt. I know it's due for replacement in about 6 months from now, but I just noticed these on the belt. Is it bad and should I replace it like now?

The teeth on the inside of the belt all seem fine and no cracked or chipped tooth, and it looks like V, not U. But these tears (for a lack of a better word) might be trouble?

Would you say the timing belt, which was replaced along with the drive belt then, could also be in a bad shape? Drive belt is supposed to be changed every 60,000 miles or 5 years after the first replacement, while the manual say the timing belt just needs to be replaced every 105,000 miles.

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
No, it's not "bad." I did my drive belt last year (~10,000 miles) and those marks are present. Nothing to worry about. The timing belt should be in better shape than your drive belt, which is in decent condition.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
The drive belt is extremely easy to replace. It has no relation whatsoever to the condition of your timing belt. If you replaced your timing belt 40k ago with OEM parts, it's condition should be very good.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,649 Posts
That looks like where the two ends of the belt were joined together. Nothing wrong with it IMO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts