Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I felt like this issue needed a separate thread from my retro thread so here goes... Ok so, I did a MH1 retro a few weeks ago on my 2006 Accord headlights. The driver's side headlight has never had any condensation issues... The passenger side has had 2, and I resealed the light twice and its been fine since...

However, last night it was a blizzard, and 25 degrees. I drove my car 30 mins away to Walmart, and while I was there, I pulled into a car wash with a pressure washer and cleaned off alot of the crap from the car... Inside the car wash was pretty warm, and the water was way warmer than the temp outside... Upon coming back and parking the car, I saw that my driver's side light (which through rain and snow has never had a condensation issue before) had a little fog inside... I checked again a few hours later, and it was gone... It was gone all day today too.

Well, today I went to walmart again, and decided since it was NOT snowing tonight, to clean the car off again... Only TONIGHT, the temperature was fluctuating between 16 degrees, and 2 degrees F... Right before entering the car wash, I noticed a little fog in the driver's side light again... When inside the car wash however, (warmer temp inside), despite the wetness in the air, the fog was gone... I washed the car, and when I came back and parked, I noticed BOTH lights had fog inside them...

In my opinion, what happened was, the fluctuating of temperatures outside, mixed with the heat from the lights being on, and then, pulling into a car wash (basically like a garage) which was at least 70 degrees inside, and then having warm water hit the headlights, and then driving back outside into 2 degrees immediately after is what has been causing my fog over the last two days... I don't think I have a sealing issue.

HOWEVER, I would like to know if this is a normal or common thing with headlights in general... Not just retrofits... Well, is it?

Thanks

·
Registered
851 Posts
huh?
all i got was that you love going to walmart and getting your car washed daily, but you see some fog from the drivers side light....
well you ever hear of steam? its like that.... when something hot goes into a different environment that is not the same temperature, it gives off steam... for example, in the summer time, when i hose down my car with cold water and its about 75 degrees outside, there is steam coming from where the water hit the car... its normal

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
huh?
all i got was that you love going to walmart and getting your car washed daily, but you see some fog from the drivers side light....
well you ever hear of steam? its like that.... when something hot goes into a different environment that is not the same temperature, it gives off steam... for example, in the summer time, when i hose down my car with cold water and its about 75 degrees outside, there is steam coming from where the water hit the car... its normal
Perhaps you should read a little more closely... Thanks for your response anyway, but I don't think steam is the answer I was looking for... Im talking about inside the light and not outside.

·
subtract 261000 miles to get engine mileage
17,457 Posts
i don't know about ur headlights, but OEM headlights should not fog up ever on the inside....

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i don't know about ur headlights, but OEM headlights should not fog up ever on the inside....
My lights are OEM... I'm not sure you guys are getting where I'm coming from. They don't fog up ever... but the temperature has been changing so much here, plus, add the lights going from 2 degrees F to 70, and back to 2... There is no seal issue

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
12,733 Posts
Normal? No.

Personally, I've never had that issue before with any of my cars/families cars which is why I believe it has to do with the seal around the headlights or there could be a small crack/chip/hole somewhere.

Actually, now that I think about it... I did have a condensation issue with one headlight on my old Camry... but that was from a known crack/chip in the headlight housing caused by an accident.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I posted this thread both here and on HIDPlanet... Apparently the OEM seal isn't good anymore and I need to open them up again, use butyl and reseal them. damn.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hmm... there could be a tad bit of moisture in your headlight housing, and when the temperature hits a certain degree, (since this usually happens during freezing temperature?) it would produce fog. How does heat play a role? The heat coming from your lights and the water are causing the moisture in your headlight to move more rapidly, and in combination with the environmental temperature, it would probably produce fog.

This is my theory. I just finish taking a course in Geography, and we had to learn about condensation. Hope this helps.:dunno:

·
Coldspeed
1,101 Posts
That sounds about right, the seal I hear gets worn sometimes. I have condensation in my OEM ones, if they're the ones that were on the car from the factory they're getting old, ha. I'd reseal them if possible.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm... there could be a tad bit of moisture in your headlight housing, and when the temperature hits a certain degree, (since this usually happens during freezing temperature?) it would produce fog. How does heat play a role? The heat coming from your lights and the water are causing the moisture in your headlight to move more rapidly, and in combination with the environmental temperature, it would probably produce fog.

This is my theory. I just finish taking a course in Geography, and we had to learn about condensation. Hope this helps.:dunno:
I think you may be right my man... Fog is gone again.
That sounds about right, the seal I hear gets worn sometimes. I have condensation in my OEM ones, if they're the ones that were on the car from the factory they're getting old, ha. I'd reseal them if possible.
You didn't read how I resealed them already... I think the seal is good, and I just have some slight condensation in there that gets activated every now and then.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts