Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I was looking in the engine bay of my accord sport and I noticed this silver object on the right of the alternator that has something that looks like a spark plug on top of it. Does anyone know what it is? Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
The exhaust goes out the front of the engine there, as there's no exhaust manifold in this engine. I believe that silver piece of metal is basically just a heat shield. Pre-catalyst O2 sensor is what you described as a spark plug, and then the first catalyst is the vertical wider cylinder just below that metal shroud.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
The exhaust goes out the front of the engine there, as there's no exhaust manifold in this engine. I believe that silver piece of metal is basically just a heat shield. Pre-catalyst O2 sensor is what you described as a spark plug, and then the first catalyst is the vertical wider cylinder just below that metal shroud.
^^ Exactly.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
That's one cheap cat (#6 in the exploded view above). Would of expected it to be pricier. I guess they make up for it with the O2 sensor.

·
No PRND
749 Posts
Wait... there are people on a car forum that don't know that that strange metal pipe is that comes off the engine and continues down under the engine and to the back of the car? OP, don't listen to them. That's the intake. Honda started sucking air to the engine from the rear of the car and that thing on top is a spark plug. They use it to charge the intake air before it enters the engine. This allows them to use less fuel. Its called "Charged Air Combustion Kinetics", or simply CACK.

·
HK Moderator
14,056 Posts
First time I looked at the newer Honda 4 cylinder engines I did a double take. I am interested in how much longer the catalytic converter will last now that it is in the engine bay, rather than underneath the car where Chicago's winter road salt could attack it and destroy it- costing hundreds of thousands of dollars and millions of lives:confused:.

Reactions: LAF

·
Registered
639 Posts
First time I looked at the newer Honda 4 cylinder engines I did a double take. I am interested in how much longer the catalytic converter will last now that it is in the engine bay, rather than underneath the car where Chicago's winter road salt could attack it and destroy it- costing hundreds of thousands of dollars and millions of lives:confused:.
There's still a second cat down underneath the car, no?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts