Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gen 10 (2018) Hybrid - High Frequency Humming?

Recently purchased a new accord hybrid. after driving it around for a couple days i'm beginning to notice a high frequency noise. I'm not sure if it's the ANC (active noise canceling) feature that gives some kind of high frequency feedback. tried researching to see if ANC was the issue and contemplating turning it off behind the glovebox. is anybody else noticing feedback from the speakers or inside the car and hearing high frequency/pitch noise? It's almost like white noise.

the noise is present whether the car is in park or in drive mode. even when i test drove a different hybrid before purchasing this car, i noticed the noise as well.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
It sounds like (pun intended) you're hearing the (AVAS) Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System - a feature that will soon be required by law on all hybrid and electric vehicles to make noise when they're running on electricity alone below a certain speed to alert pedestrians. On 2018 Canadian Accord hybrids, there is a button to disable this feature. On US models, it can't be disabled. I heard it on a 2018 Clarity plug-in hybrid I drove a few weeks ago. It sounded somewhat like a faint, musical chord - a unique sound that is difficult to describe.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-regulations-sounds/u-s-finalizes-long-delayed-quiet-cars-rule-extending-deadline-idUSKCN1GA2GV

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like the sound the AVAS would make is dynamic. Depending on the speed, sound increases or decreases, with different frequncies? The white noise like sound I'm hearing is just static/constant. No change in high frequency. It's interesting, because I test drove a 2018 camry hybrid and didn't notice the sound, but just in the accord hybrid....

·
Registered
1,479 Posts

·
2018 Accord EX-L 2.0T
267 Posts
Recently purchased a new accord hybrid. after driving it around for a couple days i'm beginning to notice a high frequency noise. I'm not sure if it's the ANC (active noise canceling) feature that gives some kind of high frequency feedback. tried researching to see if ANC was the issue and contemplating turning it off behind the glovebox. is anybody else noticing feedback from the speakers or inside the car and hearing high frequency/pitch noise? It's almost like white noise.

the noise is present whether the car is in park or in drive mode. even when i test drove a different hybrid before purchasing this car, i noticed the noise as well.
I agree you could be sensitive to the ANC. I disabled a week before my sub install and I prefer it disconnected. I thought it had a strange tone as you described. It is really no big deal to disconnect. 2 trim pieces and 5 screws.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I owned a prius for 7 years and a Camry Hybrid for about 3 years. If the sound that you hear is a high-pitched "whine", I think you are hearing the sound of the AC motors running. Is the whine more noticeable under light (regen) braking?

Ballpark, I would say that sound i recall from these was around a 12 kHz tone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a Hybrid and the only annoying noise I hear, similar to white noise, is the fan for the air cooled seats. The noise sounds like it is right behind my head. With the seat cooling on high, it is distracting.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,708 Posts
It sounds like (pun intended) you're hearing the (AVAS) Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System - a feature that will soon be required by law on all hybrid and electric vehicles to make noise when they're running on electricity alone below a certain speed to alert pedestrians. On 2018 Canadian Accord hybrids, there is a button to disable this feature. On US models, it can't be disabled. I heard it on a 2018 Clarity plug-in hybrid I drove a few weeks ago. It sounded somewhat like a faint, musical chord - a unique sound that is difficult to describe.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-regulations-sounds/u-s-finalizes-long-delayed-quiet-cars-rule-extending-deadline-idUSKCN1GA2GV
The speaker is in the left fenderwell/bumper area. You could probably just remove it and replace with a 50Ohm resistor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
static noise coming from fuse?

I think I figured out what is causing the static noise. It seems to be present in previous gen models, but its exactly what @soulreaver is describing. similar to "like the old tube TVs" sound. however, the sound doesn't ever go away when the headlights are on. it persists even at night when the headlights are on. so maybe it's a fuse related problem, but not with the DRL.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/51-8th-generation/46422-static-noise-caused-drl.html

my wife swears she can't hear anything, but i have sensitive hearing and the static noise drives me crazy. i'm guessing it only impacts a small percentage of people.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Last night was the first time I've driven in rain since I got my 2018 Accord Hybrid Touring with stock wheels and Michelin tires two weeks ago. While driving at around 45 Mph there was a loud humming or whistling sound that was very noticeable and would have been really annoying if we had to drive far, the sound would be noticeable for 10-15 seconds then not noticeable for ~20 seconds then come back, this happened about 5 times in a few miles. At slower speeds it wasn't noticeable, we didn't drive any faster than maybe 50 so I don't know if it would have changed and higher speeds. It wasn't raining hard but the road was wet and since it was the only time I've noticed the sound I attributed it to the wet road and tire noise but much louder than I've heard before. Today on my way to work with dry roads it was silent as usual. Anyone else experience anything like this and have any idea what to do to prevent it? The car has less than 400 miles on it at the moment.

Thanks.

10-04-2018 Update,

we drove 500 miles today and the car made this noise twice on dry pavement within a 1 mile stretch but never again the rest of the trip, I believe we were going around 75-80 Mph at the time

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got my accord 2 weeks ago and I'm having the same issue you described. It's driving me crazy.
Did you ever figure out what it was or did you ever get it fixed?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have noticed the same thing. If I let up on the gas the noise goes away. It appears to be one of the motor (not sure if gas or electric) suddenly running at high revs. I will have the power flow indicator on from now on, and see that the power train is doing the next time it happens. Some days it does not happen at all. Not too concerned, as we are getting 47 - 54 mph on most trips.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The sound I described was very loud and after thinking about it the second time I heard it I'm guessing it is coming from the sub-woofer as it cut off too quickly to be an environmental noise and it sounded just like the hum a home sub-woofer will make when there is a grounding issue.

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,198 Posts
The sound I described was very loud and after thinking about it the second time I heard it I'm guessing it is coming from the sub-woofer as it cut off too quickly to be an environmental noise and it sounded just like the hum a home sub-woofer will make when there is a grounding issue.
Does your car have "Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) system"?
If so, the noise could be Harmonic Drone.

My 2005 Hybrid has it. The noise was from the speakers, only happened at certain speed, and really annoying. If that's the case, wow! 10+ years passed, still the same. Honda hasn't learned a thing.

The root cause is the ANC electronics. Unless Honda replaces the control module, or the user cuts it off by grounding ANC, the noise won't go away. It's a good excuse to pay a visit to the dealership.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've had my 2018 HAH for a week, and I've noticed sometimes while driving at a near constant speed, I'll start to hear a loud, and increasing volume "VOOOOM" noise that sounds like it's coming from under my seat, under the car. Sounds kinda like a vacuum cleaner - not a rumble.

If I let up on the gas, or even stomp on the gas pedal a bit, it goes right away.

Anyone know what that noise is, and if it's something I should be taking to my dealer?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
Anyone know what that noise is, and if it's something I should be taking to my dealer?

Thanks.
It's a brand new car..why not take it back if it's sounds like a Hoover??
That doesn't sound normal.
I take it you never noticed any noise on the test drive??

·
Registered
11 Posts
No, nothing like that on the test drive. I knew to expect the transmission to be kind of unusual compared to my older cars. But not this.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have that at times as well I think it's a feedback loop with the active noise canceling system that the car has, if you adjust your speed it will go away. I have been meaning to try to disable the system and see if it still happens but haven't had time.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
I called my dealership and the first thing he thought of was the ANC. He's checking into it, but since I can't seem to make it happen on command, it'll be pretty hard to nail down.

I'm not worried, just curious. Thanks, all.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 46 Posts