Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am experiencing the same noise. I can't reproduce it but probably hear it about once a day. I have almost 5,000 miles and only started noticing it recently.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've heard something like that two times now, the first time was while it was raining it made the noise for a few seconds then went away for a few then made the noise again about 5 times that trip and since it was the first time I had driven in rain with this car I thought it was tire noise but then it happened again a few weeks later on dry roads and that time I noticed it stopped too quickly to be environmental so I figured it was feedback from the sub-woofer but it may have been the ANC. I haven't heard it in the last month.

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,202 Posts
I've had my 2018 HAH for a week, and I've noticed sometimes while driving at a near constant speed, I'll start to hear a loud, and increasing volume "VOOOOM" noise that sounds like it's coming from under my seat, under the car. Sounds kinda like a vacuum cleaner - not a rumble.

If I let up on the gas, or even stomp on the gas pedal a bit, it goes right away.

Anyone know what that noise is, and if it's something I should be taking to my dealer?

Thanks.
The noise is "harmonic drone", from your speakers. My 2005 hybrid has this noise, often occurs at 50-ish mph, and the weather is warm. It is caused by the ANC module. Honda had TSB (or recall) for 2005-2007 hybrid to correct the issue. The solution is to replace the ANC module and two front speakers, because the noise is likely to damage the speakers.

It's really annoying and embarrassing. I don't remember how many times I had to explain to my puzzled passengers. Many people still have this problem AFTER Honda repaired it. They fed up and some simply cut the wire (or ground the ANC) module.

It's surprising that 13 years later, still the same problem. Be prepared to live with this (it gets worse with age), because Honda doesn't seem to have the ability to fix it. It's the by product of immature technology Honda likes to put on their cars as of late.

·
Banned
578 Posts
I just bought a 18 HAH Touring last week and I am aware of the sound as described. I heard the same noise in each HAH I drove since Summer, which is around 6-8 HAH's total.

My two GUESSES based on the speed of which I hear it;

1. It's the engine droning at about 1900rpms and speeds around 45-55mph.

2. It's the gas engine "lock up" occurring at its lowest cruise speed we hear a gear hum/drone noise, at a speed of which the cabin is very quiet, thus the noise is more easily noticed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just to clarify the noise I have heard twice was much louder inside the cabin than normal conversation levels and definitely not the engine and was not effected by speed changes or even applying brakes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same noise, took it in and my dealership said it was "normal." I can reproduce the sound if I drive between 45 and 55 at a constant speed for approximately 5 minutes. The sound is more concentrated near the driver front side of the vehicle. I thought maybe the Active Noise Cancelling... but I'm not 100% sold on that answer. If I apply gas or brake the noise stops nearly instantaneously.

The droning sound is far louder than conversation and has caused people to ask whats wrong with the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this issue too and it's very loud. Very reproducible with one more passenger. I took the car to my dealer and got the honda rep to come down to fix it, they can't fix it and I'm in the process of filing an arbitration under lemon law to get my money back.

Contact me at [email protected] if you like to know the trigger mechanism and other details.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a brand new 2018 Accord Hybrid. We get the same noise described above. It always happens at 52 mph and very often happens at 35 mph or so. It’s been to the dealership four times and they can’t figure out how to fix it. They temporarily disconnected the ANC or noise cancellation system. It’s a brand new car so I don’t feel I should have to drive a car with systems disconnected. I’m starting the lemon law process. Has anyone gone down this road of getting the car replaced or refunded our money?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
We have a brand new 2018 Accord Hybrid. We get the same noise described above. It always happens at 52 mph and very often happens at 35 mph or so. It’s been to the dealership four times and they can’t figure out how to fix it. They temporarily disconnected the ANC or noise cancellation system. It’s a brand new car so I don’t feel I should have to drive a car with systems disconnected. I’m starting the lemon law process. Has anyone gone down this road of getting the car replaced or refunded our money?
Lemon laws vary by state. For some states, the law only applies if the vehicle is unable to be driven. In other states, the law only applies if the operation of the vehicle is "substantially impaired". In some states, it applies for any factory defect. What state are you in?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My car makes a loud VROOM noise too at various speeds. To stop it quickly, I crack a window. I’ve noticed If I keep a crack in the window or sunroof, the sound doesn’t come. It’s strange, it’s like you have to snap the car out of it with that cracked window.

·
2018 Accord Hybrid EX-L
136 Posts
My car makes a loud VROOM noise too at various speeds. To stop it quickly, I crack a window. I’ve noticed If I keep a crack in the window or sunroof, the sound doesn’t come. It’s strange, it’s like you have to snap the car out of it with that cracked window.
It's because the active noise canceling system is disabled when the windows are open, so cracking a window turns it off.

As others have stated the loud low frequency hum is something related to the ANC system and some sort of feedback loop. I've found it's significantly worse if you have the subwoofer setting turned up higher. I haven't had a chance to bring it to the dealer and don't know what the fix might actually be so I just disconnected the module today and will see if that stops the problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2019 hybrid accord touring. I noticed the humming and the first thing I thought is this is a harmonic vibration that needs to be tuned out by adding some mass to the right part of the engine to change the harmonics . . .

. . . so I plugged in my $10 obd2 dongle from amazon and fired up the "torque" app on my android so I could essentially get a working tachometer for the gas engine. Sure enough, the humming happens only when the gas engine is right around 2020 to 2050 rpm. If you accelerate harder to raise the rpm, the humming rapidly goes away; same thing if you lower your acceleration to reduce the rpm. The most telling is when you start to go downhill or for whatever other reason your gas engine turns off . . . the harmonic droning ceases instantly. The harmonic vibration never happens when the engine is not running. I suspect that once Honda figures this out, we will have a recall so they can add some weight (or weights) to the engine to stop the harmonics. In the meantime, I'm going to epoxy some lead fishing weights to my brand new hybrid and I'll report back . . .

·
Registered
428 Posts
Sam, maybe my hearing is faulty, but I've not heard the "humming" noise you speak of, at any speed or load condition. I DO drive with my windows up and the temperature controlled by the climate control, so possibly that is a factor. I CAN hear the engine when it is working to climb a hill, but that sound is minor and not at all objectionable. About the only noise I hear that I was not expecting is the sound of what I guess is a cooling fan for the hybrid battery, that is noticeable at low, quiet road speeds.

I notice your avatar, which appears to be the Georgia Tech logo. I graduated from there in Aerospace Engineering way back in 1963.

- Jack

·
2018 Accord Hybrid EX-L
136 Posts
I just bought a 2019 hybrid accord touring. I noticed the humming and the first thing I thought is this is a harmonic vibration that needs to be tuned out by adding some mass to the right part of the engine to change the harmonics . . .
The weights will do absolutely nothing. Please re-read the thread, the noise is not from the engine itself but the active noise canceling systems software reacting when the engine is at that rpm. There is something in the system that starts a feedback loop that leads to the speakers making a louder and louder rumbling noise that then feedbacks on itself. The ANC is tuned to counteract the engine noise so there is clearly a fault in the software at that RPM.

I went ahead and just unplugged my ANC and didn’t notice the car to be any louder without it and now I don’t have the drone anymore.

And not specifically related to the hybrid but sounds like a similar issue, Honda put this out to the dealers, so there might be some small hope for a fix: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10158718-0001.pdf

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did anyone have the issue successfully fixed at the dealership? I am having the same problem and I am wondering if the dealership is capable to fix this issue, or it'd be just be easier to disconnect the system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same issue and ended up just disconnecting the harness behind the glovebox. The first time I heard the noise was on an almost 2 hour drive on country roads where I was constantly stuck behind people conveniently staying around 50 to 55 mph so there was no getting away from it. Drove me nuts. The next day I searched for the problem, found out about the disconnect solution, and it worked like a charm. I haven't noticed any increase in cabin noise (and sometimes depending on the road surface I think it seems quieter now), so at this point it was a very worthwhile 30 minutes or so of labor in the garage.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Almost makes you wonder if it's really noise cancellation at all, or just synthetic engine note pumped in to cover the real sounds from the 2.0L.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's fairly easy to check if it's from the ANC. In my case, it stops immediately whenever you press on window button.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The HAH has been a great car, but the buzzy motor sound under hard acceleration is a little annoying. But why does it sound like that? Is this because it's an Atkinson cycle motor or something else?

21 - 40 of 46 Posts