Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have been on the lookout for an 8th gen Accord EX-L for a while. I came across one that I going to look at tomorrow evening. It's a 2009 EX-L w NAV 2.4 (wish it was a V6, but oh well), mystic green with black leather, and loaded. It is not Honda certified, but it has 60K miles and the dealer is asking $15,000. Of course I am going to see if there is room for negotiation. But this is one of the better deals I have seen in a while, plus it has the colors and options I want minus the V6.

From the pics, the car is in awesome condition, but there is one thing that bugs me. On the driver's side door arm rest the leather is all wrinkled, and I mean badly. The rest of the interior and exterior seems flawless. Here is a pic of the damaged looking section on the door.

Can this leather arm rest piece be replaced without replacing the entire interior door panel? Is it something that can be replaced easily, and is there a how to out there that you all know of? Do you all know if this can be purchased from Honda, and if so, what the part number is?

This is the only thing that bugs me about the car, but if it's a cheap fix I can overlook it. Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
27 Posts
Its a common issue indeed. The pleather used on the doors as well as the center console becomes unbonded from its matting after exposure to heat/pressure/humidity. Its not a sign of excessive wear and tear either, no matter what Honda tells you. They all will fail in this vehicle if they haven't yet.

I replaced both door arm rests and the leather on the console lid of my 2009 Ivory interior. The center console removal and reupholstering is easy. As for the door panels, while they are easy to remove, taking apart the pieces to reupholster the part is a little cumbersome. You're also working with a flimsy piece of plastic once you get the old pleather off.

I would push the dealer to do the work.

·
Registered
493 Posts
You can also just buy the leather but it's the same price anyway
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2012-H...ather-Door-Panel-Armrest-Covers-/170935209521
First link was for the sedan armrests, this 2nd link ^ is for the coupe armrests.

BOTH of those auctions are for ONLY the leather part. You will have to take apart your door, remove the old material from the armrest and then carefully/meticulously install the new leather. I am far from Martha Stewart, and I replaced the door armrests on my old i4 with leather ones, it looked about 70% as good as new, after spending a good 2 hours on ém.
It is certainly not impossible to get it looking great, but don't expect a easy swap that consists of only a few turns of a screwdriver.

All the auctions I know of on eBay are for only the leather. Unless somebody decided to part out their car. fwiw I've ordered from that very reputable guy on eBay 3x now with nothing but great service and a good product.

Now...You can easily ask the dealer to knock 100$ if not more from the price of the car. Buy the replacement piece online for $30 shipped to your door, remove the armrest yourself and the old material, take the new material and the armrest to a local auto upholstery shop and have them do put on the new leather for about $20. Then just put the new armrest back on yourself.

·
Registered
506 Posts
If that is a car is at a dealership for sale, have THEM fix it as part of the deal. Problem solved.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I would start to negotiate the price down without mentioning the armrest damage.. Once you notice you are pretty much at their bottom line price-wise use the damaged armrest and any other flaws as a bargaining chip.. say something along the lines of i'll take the car at that price only if you replace the damaged armrest or if you take XXX amount of cash off so I can buy an armrest and replace it

·
Registered
493 Posts
You don't tell the dealer that you can buy a replacement for $30. You act like you have no idea how to fix it, but that you would deal with it and ask them to take 100$ or more off the price. Or if you want, tell them you'll have to take it to an upholstery shop and you have no idea how much it will cost, say "probably a good chunk of change".
They'll feel like they're getting the good end of the deal, not having to deal with a repair appointment, etc.
Little do they know you can buy an even better replacement piece for $30 shipped to your door.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If that is a car is at a dealership for sale, have THEM fix it as part of the deal. Problem solved.
It's a Lexus dealer that is selling it, so I doubt that they will fix themselves. I would rather them reimburse me the cost to replace the part, and I will fix it myself. Of course I am not going to tell them that I am more than capable of replacing the arm rest, I'll play dumb and tell them that I will need to take it to Honda to be fixed. I am going to look at the car tomorrow, and if all turns out good, I am going to get it.

Does anyone know the part number for this the driver's door arm rest from Honda? I'll bring a print off of it in showing the cost of the part alone, and see if I can get the price of the part knocked down even more from the car.

Since this car has the navigation on it, and I have never had a car with navigation, what should I look for and make sure comes with the car? Is the map system stored in the radio, and should there be a disc included with it? I am unfamiliar with Hondas, but I want to make sure that this car has everything needed with it navi disc, owners manuals, etc. before leaving the dealer.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
The part # is 83553-TA5-A32ZA and it lists for $80.83. Good luck.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Simple fix, however I recall reading about the procedure awhile back. A fair amount of time is involved. I'd personally negotiate the price down and then tackle the job myself at a later date.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Is it possible to only take the armrest portion off or do you have to remove the entire door panel?
Unfortunately you have to remove to whole door panel. Its a few screws, disconnect the wires and then it pops off. It only takes about 5 minutes to take off once you know where everything is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts