Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, not sure where to post this and this is a very simple question.

Just got my 2017 LX Accord (yay!)

but I noticed that when I push the trunk release it opens a bit then I have to raise it with my hand. My '04 accord would open all the way. Is the 9th generation designed like this not to open all the way - or is something not working right?

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,412 Posts
All I can tell you is none of my Accords (4th gen, 7th gen, 9th gen) have opened all the way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All I can tell you is none of my Accords (4th gen, 7th gen, 9th gen) have opened all the way.
OK, Now that I am trying to remember (i only had the car 16 years)....I am not sure if it opened all the way or 'almost' all the way. This newer one only opens a few inches. I think on the '04 I only had to push it slightly up to get it completely open.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,412 Posts
My 03 would barely open at all, but it did have a wing spoiler on the trunk lid. The spoiler was installed by the dealership before I bought it, so I don't know if they installed the stronger spring or not. If you want it to go all the way maybe you could install the larger spring intended for cars with wing spoilers. Do you have any type of spoiler on it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not sure if I need to spring open, I was more wondering if it was not functioning as intended so I would ask the dealership to correct the problem.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Mine has always just opened a bit and I'm fine with that. That much less chance the wind will catch it and damage it.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
There is a different spring if you want it to open up all the way - this was for the HFP spoiler you could add on.
My complete HFP body kit did not include any type of bigger trunk spring. Never seen or heard of such a thing. I know on the sedans if you add the spoiler there is either a bigger spring or an adjustment to a stronger setting for the existing spring (don't recall which). On my coupe, the spoiler replaced an existing piece on the trunk lid, the weight difference was negligible. My trunk opens just fine, just pops open an inch or so as it should and as it did before the spoiler.

Nothing in the coupe spoiler instructions about the spring BTW: https://www.driveaccord.net/threads/trunklid-spoiler-install-instructions-coupe.331522/

·
V6 6MT CBP
2,565 Posts
My complete HFP body kit did not include any type of bigger trunk spring. Never seen or heard of such a thing. I know on the sedans if you add the spoiler there is either a bigger spring or an adjustment to a stronger setting for the existing spring (don't recall which). On my coupe, the spoiler replaced an existing piece on the trunk lid, the weight difference was negligible. My trunk opens just fine, just pops open an inch or so as it should and as it did before the spoiler.

Nothing in the coupe spoiler instructions about the spring BTW: https://www.driveaccord.net/threads/trunklid-spoiler-install-instructions-coupe.331522/
Maybe that's what I was thinking of. Or maybe it was an option on the 7th gen. I know on my coupe the trunk used to open a couple inches, but did not at all after I changed the spoiler. I have to lift on the spoiler to open it - it doesn't take much - but it doesn't open enough to get my fingers under the trunk lid itself.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I've looked into engineering a mount for a gas charged piston to fully open the trunk, similar to the hood. When I got down to it, the cost ($400-ish) to pull this off wasn't worth the effort at the time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts