Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned this 2004 Accord EX 4-cyl for a couple months. It has 120,000 miles on it.

I took it to the dealer for the airbag recall. As part of their zillion point inspection he said that I should have the valves adjusted since they had no maintenance history on the car.

Is this really necessary? Wouldn't valves that need adjusting let you know it?

·
HK Moderator
13,934 Posts
What does your owner's manual say to do?

That would be a good place to start to see if a maintenance procedure is necessary or not, and when it should be done based on mileage/time.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Not really. You can easily make 200,000 miles before doing it.

with that said I did my own around 130k.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,447 Posts
The valves will not let you know they need adjustment, if they are tightening, like exhaust valves do. My exhaust valves were a little tight when I adjusted them at 93k miles. Even if the valves continued to tighten for the next 90k miles, I doubt it would have caused any harm (burnt valve), if I had let it go that long. Thing is, you don't know how far off they are, if you don't check.

The real problem is, can you trust that the shop will actually check the clearances, and adjust them properly? You have no way of knowing what they did, so they could take your money, and do absolutely nothing for it.

·
lookin' clean
671 Posts
Lots of people do it at 100K, service techs will tell you in the book it saids check it every 30k miles. Unless you hear knocking, which without a trained ear... I couldnt tell you what to listen for. You probably wont need it.

·
Honda Nation
2,184 Posts
With cars that have the newer chain drive engines that require no belt changes, the valve adjustment interval seems to be ambiguous unless Honda spells it out in the owners manual or on the MM which I doubt.

If you have a timing belt then you just go ahead and do the valve service while you're in there.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Valve adjustment was the only thing I've ever paid a dealer to do. They talked me into it while performing a seatbelt recall fix.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,447 Posts
With cars that have the newer chain drive engines that require no belt changes, the valve adjustment interval seems to be ambiguous unless Honda spells it out in the owners manual or on the MM which I doubt.

If you have a timing belt then you just go ahead and do the valve service while you're in there.
Huh? While you're in where? I don't know why people always associate timing belt replacement with valve adjustment? The two jobs have no common parts to remove, at least not on the 7th gen Accord V6 engine. On previous generation Accord engines, you had to remove the valve cover to do the timing belt job. Not so, with this engine.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Huh? While you're in where? I don't know why people always associate timing belt replacement with valve adjustment? The two jobs have no common parts to remove, at least not on the 7th gen Accord V6 engine. On previous generation Accord engines, you had to remove the valve cover to do the timing belt job. Not so, with this engine.
Lol. Its funny how people who have done neither (valve adj. or timing belt) spout off like they are experts or pros.

Valve adjustments are good house keeping, but most motors probably wont need them for their serviceable life (0-200K miles). With that being said, I plan to do mine myself at about 140k miles sometime this summer.

I know in the motor cycle world, valve adjustments are big money makers for shops. Truth of the matter is most bikes will be fine for 20K-30K miles, even though nearly every owners manual calls for valve admustments at 12-15k miles.

·
Doing trumps "I've read".
115 Posts
Adjust them every 500k

I don't feel it's necessary unless there is a reason to do it. Mileage alone is not a good enough reason. I have 405k moles on my 2003 V6 and have never adjusted them. I just got back from an 1800+ mile trip this week and rang up 33 MPG. I'm not worrying about the valves.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,447 Posts
I don't feel it's necessary unless there is a reason to do it. Mileage alone is not a good enough reason. I have 405k moles on my 2003 V6 and have never adjusted them. I just got back from an 1800+ mile trip this week and rang up 33 MPG. I'm not worrying about the valves.
Good for you. I didn't have to pay someone else to adjust the valves, so I did it one day because I got the gaskets with a timing belt kit (why valve cover gaskets come with a timing belt kit, I don't know). Not knowing what the clearances were bothered me enough to make me check them.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Valve adjustments are good house keeping, but most motors probably wont need them for their serviceable life (0-200K miles).
Serviceable wha??? Dude, these are Accords! At 200K, we are just getting warmed up around here. You just committed blasphemy, old chap. :0

·
Fear The Turtle!
2,166 Posts
I did it at 115k. No matter how long I own this car I'm not doing it again (and will only have someone else do it if the deal is screaming). I will not do it on any other car than a small block chevy since they are so damn easy. If I still have the car and the engine goes it will give me an excuse to find a K20 to put in.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone. FWIW, my Accord is the I4, not the V6.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Thanks everyone. FWIW, my Accord is the I4, not the V6.
If any consolation, i4 is much cheaper than V6 - if you're paying to have it done. Dealer cost was $150 for me, including new valve cover gasket.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just out of curiosity. Is there anything special about these Honda engines that they "need" the valves adjusted? I know it's a big deal with motorcycles.

I've never done a valve adjust on any car I've ever owned.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Just out of curiosity. Is there anything special about these Honda engines that they "need" the valves adjusted? I know it's a big deal with motorcycles.

I've never done a valve adjust on any car I've ever owned.
Yes. These engines use solid lifters, not hydraulic lifters. Hydralic lifters are self-adjusting and do not need valve adjustment. Solid lifters are simpler and theoretically more reliable, but are not self-adjusting. They are adjusted by either turning a screw (on most Hondas) or by using shims (on some Toyotas and Nissans).

Over time, the exhaust valves can tighten, and if you let it go too long, this will cause reduced performance and eventually valvetrain damage. The intake valves will loosen instead of tighten over time, which will not cause valvetrain damage, but will reduce performance.

FWIW, I did my own adjustment at 140k and it wasn't terribly difficult. Just take your time and follow the service manual.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts