Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've been trying to grab the vcm tuner 2 for a few weeks.. I've been checking on Mondays like it says but the thing is permanently backordered. Maybe you need to check at 9am?
I may just try the s vcm or muzzler 2, but tuner must be sold out for a reason right?

Also are there any alternative avenues aside their website?

·
Registered
2012 Honda Accord (EX-L V6)
1,566 Posts
VCM tuner 1 will mess up temperature readings though? Any side effects with s-vcm
No VCM disable device will mess up anything. It is a very slight adjustment, all the devices do it and it doesn't have any ill side effects. Read the VCM Megathread for more information on all of them. If you can wait for VCMTuner II, just get that. Seems to have fewer bad batches than S-VCM.

VCMTuner II is definitely in stock on Mondays, I ordered mine on July 18th. You have to be right on it at 9am Pacific, the 2007+ version sold out within 10 minutes when I bought it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
The VCM Tuner II is way better than S-VCM and I've been hearing s lot of people say their S-VCM failed and caused problems with the car until it was removed. They are out of stock because they sell fast. I happened to check at the right time, which ended up being late one night, I think like 2am in the middle of August, they shipped it like 2 or 3 days later and I got it 2 days later across the country, and then it went out of stock a day or two later and they said that batch was now out of stock. They seem to release in batches and their website the times I've checked had always said when the next batch will release.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The VCM Tuner II is way better than S-VCM
Proof REQUIRED on a blanket post like this.
S-VCM installed on my sister's 2011 Odyssey with ZERO side effects. Both she and her husband say the van performs flawlessly and feels way better to drive than before. They are wanting to buy another and have me install it on their newly purchased 2016 Pilot Touring.
It's also in stock (UNLIKE the ridiculous supply issue with VCM tuner-2) and is about $20 cheaper.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
S-VCM installed on my sister's 2011 Odyssey with ZERO side effects. Both she and her husband say the van performs flawlessly and feels way better to drive than before. They are wanting to buy another and have me install it on their newly purchased 2016 Pilot Touring.
It's also in stock (UNLIKE the ridiculous supply issue with VCM tuner-2) and is about $20 cheaper.
S-VCM is a mighty fine product when it works. But you cannot deny that there have been more S-VCM unit failures compared to VCMTuner II, and when they fail they seem to have more chaotic symptoms. And that's not just on this forum but other Honda forums as well.

When you need to do something like an idle relearn or a CKP relearn, you now have to mess with fuses to bypass the S-VCM in order to do the procedure. You don't have to touch a thing with VCMTuner II, it has an auto-bypass.

As for the cost difference, unless you live in Canada, you must factor shipping from Canada into the cost first. When factoring in shipping price, when I was shopping for a VCM disable device, at the previous $130 price the price difference was maybe around $10. I'd rather pay $10 for a unit that I can trust to last for more than just a few years and is truly set and forget it, never has to be removed for any procedure.

·
Registered
161 Posts
When you need to do something like an idle relearn or a CKP relearn, you now have to mess with fuses to bypass the S-VCM in order to do the procedure. You don't have to touch a thing with VCMTuner II, it has an auto-bypass.
Assuming this is correct (which I have my doubts about since there's no real reason why S-VCM would need to be bypassed) if all that needs to be done is pull a fuse, what's the problem?

As for the cost difference, unless you live in Canada, you must factor shipping from Canada into the cost first. When factoring in shipping price, when I was shopping for a VCM disable device, at the previous $130 price the price difference was maybe around $10. I'd rather pay $10 for a unit that I can trust to last for more than just a few years and is truly set and forget it, never has to be removed for any procedure.
I don't know where you live but $106 including shipping is what I paid.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Assuming this is correct (which I'm not entirely sure about since I don't see why S-VCM would need to be bypassed0 ) if all that needs to be done is pull a fuse, what's the problem?
It absolutely is correct. CKP relearns and idle relearns, among other things, require the engine to be warmed up and the temperature reading they look for will never be reached with a VCM disable device active.

Another issue: you may have to wait for the engine to cool down and the ECU to stop monitoring the circuit before you can bypass the S-VCM to avoid a CEL code. With the VCMTuner II, it automatically goes into bypass mode when it detects the vehicle has been idling for a certain amount of time and resumes normal operation when the vehicle is moving again.

·
Registered
353 Posts
the VCM Tuner II also shuts off at idle to allow idle relearning or whatever the relearn is that you normally need to completely remove the S-VCM for, i think this is when the car loses power from the battery or you swap some part or something that it needs to relearn, it also is CARB Compliant for Caliornia and some other small upgrades over the S-VCM. i also see no reports of it failing, check the forum for fail reports with the S VCM including one made just hours ago about it shutting off their vehicle until they removed it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
It absolutely is correct. CKP relearns and idle relearns, among other things, require the engine to be warmed up and the temperature reading they look for will never be reached with a VCM disable device active.

Another issue: you may have to wait for the engine to cool down and the ECU to stop monitoring the circuit before you can bypass the S-VCM to avoid a CEL code. With the VCMTuner II, it automatically goes into bypass mode when it detects the vehicle has been idling for a certain amount of time.

Sounds like pretty easy stuff to work around.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
the VCM Tuner II also shuts off at idle to allow idle relearning or whatever the relearn is that you normally need to completely remove the S-VCM for, i think this is when the car loses power from the battery or you swap some part or something that it needs to relearn, it also is CARB Compliant for Caliornia and some other small upgrades over the S-VCM. i also see no reports of it failing, check the forum for fail reports with the S VCM including one made just hours ago about it shutting off their vehicle until they removed it.
VCMTuner II has had one or two failure reports on Odyclub, but nothing like S-VCM.

The relearns can be needed after certain service procedures. There's a relearn for when you replace different sensors, clean the throttle body, etc.

·
Registered
353 Posts
While i hope to Sell my Accord to Buy a Large SUV, or better, keep the accord and get an SUV to go with it, at 182,000 miles Unfortunately i don't have an 80,000 Mile 8th Gen and no Oil burning that im aware of after 2,000 miles, i Went with the VCM Tuner II to add to the long list of new parts it has to probably keep this car running well past 250,000 Miles and not having to worry that it may fail and cause major issues until removed or have to worry about the Relearns

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Sounds like pretty easy stuff to work around.
But it's stuff that has to be worked around. If you have a shop doing the work, you'd have to inform them beforehand about this and hope they don't screw something up in the process. Just another thing to worry about on top of everything else with S-VCM.

·
Registered
161 Posts
But it's stuff that has to be worked around. If you have a shop doing the work, you'd have to inform them beforehand about this and hope they don't screw something up in the process. Just another thing to worry about on top of everything else with S-VCM.

Or you could just disable it before taking the car in. Again, if it's just a fuse to be pulled, what's the big deal
That's OK though, tell everyone on here to keep waiting .. and waiting.... and waiting... AND WAITING... for VCM Tuner-2 to finally be in stock AND pay $25 more for it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Or you could just disable it before taking the car in. Again, if it's just a fuse to be pulled, what's the big deal
That's OK though, tell everyone on here to keep waiting .. and waiting.... and waiting... AND WAITING... for VCM Tuner-2 to finally be in stock AND pay $25 more for it.
if you need your $20 that badly that you want to remove the S-VCM every time you need to do work or have someone else do work, or hope they handle the removal correctly for any relearns ontop of being aware of when these relearns will need to occur so it can be dealt with, ontop of the higher risk of the device failing and when it does it causing issues until removal rather than it just not working and needing replacing, then keep your $20. the VCM Tuner II overall is a better device, even for the $20 more it cost. every time ive checked, their website had a clear writing of when the next batch comes. i happened to check when the new batch was out without knowing the batch would be out, bought one and it was available for another 2 days or so after i ordered.

Oh and the VCM Tuner II is supposed to have a Coolant Level Alarm, i forgot about this until i went back to their website and read. it looks like some have it some don't, i don't think mine does? im not sure why some do and some don't, and why they call it a Future Feature yet i believe some people have it with it working, but thats a potential thing that the S-VCM Also does not have,

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
You're acting like it has never been available. It has been consistently available every week.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Oh and the VCM Tuner II is supposed to have a Coolant Level Alarm, i forgot about this until i went back to their website and read. it looks like some have it some don't, i don't think mine does? im not sure why some do and some don't, and why they call it a Future Feature yet i believe some people have it with it working, but thats a potential thing that the S-VCM Also does not have,
None of them have it, but they all have support to add it later. It's a work in progress feature that would be a more involved install, but you wouldn't need a new VCMTuner II for it.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts