Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Is your window stuck on cold days?

15K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  RjRacing 
#1 ·
My front driver side window got stuck on cold days. I won't be able to roll it down. The other 3 are working fine.

#6 ·
Here is a little trick to prevent that... Roll your window down and take Pam (yes, out of your pantry) and spray some in your window seal all the way around. Don't use butter flavor as it might make you hungry while driving and lead to obesity ;)

Do not force the window when that happens though, could damage the regulator.

#7 ·
I've had the same issue in the extreme cold in the north east. It seems even the littlest ice prevents the window from rolling down. After I clear the ice out between the rubber and window it goes down.

Seems like the window mechanism is pretty weak if it can't overcome a little friction from ice.

#9 ·
Mine did this this morning after sitting in 5 degree weather and covered in snow. I've never had any other car do this.

#12 ·
Be careful trying to roll down window while it is stuck. It puts a tremendous load on the motor and could easily fry it. Moreover, the the cable that holds the window up stretches with time, and with windows being stuck, it stretches much faster.

#13 ·
All electric motors in today's Hondas have thermal resistors built in so that when they start getting warm it cuts the power. You can damage the regulator though.

#15 ·
As a general rule, I won't even try to roll my windows down when it's really cold. Only after the interior has had ample time to warm up and the glass is warm on the inside will I attempt to roll them down. The worst sound is that "pop" sound it makes when the window motor overcomes the ice bond. It can't be good for the motor. Same thing goes for the wipers. If I don't need them, I don't use them at all. I'd assume their motor is a bit more durable, but why risk breaking the motor just to clear a little fog or snow off the windshield.

#16 ·
If your window is frozen shut, using the bottom of your palm, gently press on the window near the outside edges to break the ice that's holding the window in it's track. That should take care of your window being frozen. Also washing a vehicle in very cold weather (below 20 degrees) can cause everything to freeze up like that.

#17 ·
My pass side window on my coupe is frozen. Parked it at work today facing Sun and will attempt to open at lunch time. Just so darn cold and car still has some snow and ice on it from Tues snowstorm. Drove my wife's CRV yesterday to work due to the toad mess

#18 ·
I hear you! Since the day I picked up my Accord from the dealer on Dec 14th, it has been nothing but snow, ice, salt and arctic temperatures. I can't wait for this winter to end!

#19 ·
Just went out to car & the sun did melt the ice just enough to open my window. It's a balmy 14 degrees now in NJ with expected temps at or below zero into early next week. Guess our Mustang Vert will stay in garage sleeping for a while longer... Ha-ha

#20 ·
Haha YES this happened to me a couple days after I bought the car when I was at the Taco Bell drive through window. It was frigid outside and I was so pissed that I couldn't roll down the window of my BRAND NEW car just to order some tacos.

Glad to hear it isn't just my car at least.

#22 ·
Use a spray but be careful which ones. Silicone spray can dry out the rubber over time if used regularly. Google "Aerospace 303' - best 12 bucks you'll spend - as far as protective sprays go.

#23 ·
Ha ha ha...Lebowski Urban Achiever....I like that!

Also, some silicone sprays can wreak havoc on electrical systems. If you happen to hit a switch part while you are doing that, you can easily fry it. Use a silicone spray safe for electrical parts or take a chance....

I get worried if Johnny Law pulls me over and tells me to lower the window.:paranoid:

I am safe from the fast food drive thru thing as I stopped eating that garbage. But if that Kate Upton look-a-like starts working the drive thru again at he local McDonalds, I will be back with a can of electrical safe silicone spray.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.